Mountain biking is my act of resistance- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,726

    Mountain biking is my act of resistance


  2. #2
    Bent, not broken.
    Reputation: Twilight Error's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    195
    I hate the fact that she had to write this, but I'm glad she did. Visibility matters, it isn't just white men using the forests - people seeing folks that look like they do out on the trails and in the forests will hopefully get them out too.
    I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
    I'm a machine and I was built to last - Frank Turner.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynoman03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    482
    Terrible that this gal feels this way. But I'm glad she found herself liking MTB riding, there's really nothing that makes me feel better than being on two wheels out in nature.

    I'm a white male but I live in KS. I've rode with people of all colors, shapes, sizes, genders, etc. I've actually found the MTB community to be the most accepting group of people in any sport I've participated in.

    Ladies I'm sorry if I shouldn't have posted here, but I saw a link pop up in my alerts on Tapatalk. Hopefully things start getting better for her and she finds peace in mtbing and confidence to not be afraid. I'm not sure I buy the whole Trump caused all of her woes however. Sure his moral compass is a bit off, but not every one is out to get her.

    Either way, you ladies keep the rubber side down on the dirt and enjoy the ride!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    205
    Good for her. I'm happy she is getting out on the trails and enjoying something in a place she wants to spend time. I know the feeling, I'm not exactly welcomed in some places but riding hasn't given me any issues. I do like the riding community where I live, they have been nothing but pleasant to me.
    Will swerve for leaves.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    You canít be serious. Please tell me this piece is a joke

  6. #6
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Reputation: formica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Known issue so not a joke.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    Ok. So Iím asking seriously. What is the issue in the piece? I think I have an idea. But in an attempt for clarity. Im sincerely asking. Is it that mountain bikers are racists? Or sexists? Or there isnít income equality in bike ownership?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Ok. So Iím asking seriously. What is the issue in the piece? I think I have an idea. But in an attempt for clarity. Im sincerely asking. Is it that mountain bikers are racists? Or sexists? Or there isnít income equality in bike ownership?
    The way I read it was she felt out of place where she moved to and got into biking. From there she has not had any issues wit anyone in our community.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    The piece is offensive. It has no business being posted on this site . Its political, sexists and racial. And a sad excuse at hiding it. I have traveled many places to ride. Done my homework on many destinations regarding trail beta. Elevation, terrain which direction to ride a certain loop. Asked local advise. Determined when was the best time of year to ride But never once had I considered a counties voting statics when I go to ride somewhere.

    Itís no coincidence the piece was posted in the womenís forum. It was posted in a so called ďsafe placeĒ. Where the type of people the piece accused of the in -justice would not be allowed to answer their accuser. And if the did voice an opposition, they would be labeled ďcreepyĒ for posting in a womenís forum As is an Internet forum is a physical place where a creep could sneak into and spy on women

    My point is the piece is political and has no place on this site. The piece isnít about mountain biking. Thatís just itís disguise to spread the writerís political views. She hides behind race, and gender as to not be questioned. There is a place for a piece like that. The site it was published on is perfect for it. But MTBR is not that place. If politics are not allowed then they are not allowed. Offending someone politically , racially and with gender works both ways.

    Rules are rules. If MTBR is only going to allow one side to voice a political opinion then the site has been corrupted.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,801
    I know it's considered taboo to disagree with anything at all in this subforum without having the approved chromosome arrangement, but really?

    "I knew Mesa County had voted 64 percent Republican in the 2016 election. At the trailhead, I sat in the car for a long time before setting off, filled with trepidation."

    Maybe she should go ride and live in a place that that's loaded up with Democratic voters instead? Like Chicago or Baltimore or NYC maybe. I'm sure that would be oh so much safer.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  11. #11
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Reputation: formica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I know it's considered taboo to disagree with anything at all in this subforum without having the approved chromosome arrangement, but really?

    "I knew Mesa County had voted 64 percent Republican in the 2016 election. At the trailhead, I sat in the car for a long time before setting off, filled with trepidation."

    Maybe she should go ride and live in a place that that's loaded up with Democratic voters instead? Like Chicago or Baltimore or NYC maybe. I'm sure that would be oh so much safer.
    She specifically said her professional field is difficult to find jobs in.

  12. #12
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Reputation: formica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    The piece is offensive. It has no business being posted on this site . Its political, sexists and racial. And a sad excuse at hiding it. I have traveled many places to ride. Done my homework on many destinations regarding trail beta. Elevation, terrain which direction to ride a certain loop. Asked local advise. Determined when was the best time of year to ride But never once had I considered a counties voting statics when I go to ride somewhere.

    Itís no coincidence the piece was posted in the womenís forum. It was posted in a so called ďsafe placeĒ. Where the type of people the piece accused of the in -justice would not be allowed to answer their accuser. And if the did voice an opposition, they would be labeled ďcreepyĒ for posting in a womenís forum As is an Internet forum is a physical place where a creep could sneak into and spy on women

    My point is the piece is political and has no place on this site. The piece isnít about mountain biking. Thatís just itís disguise to spread the writerís political views. She hides behind race, and gender as to not be questioned. There is a place for a piece like that. The site it was published on is perfect for it. But MTBR is not that place. If politics are not allowed then they are not allowed. Offending someone politically , racially and with gender works both ways.

    Rules are rules. If MTBR is only going to allow one side to voice a political opinion then the site has been corrupted.
    We'll let the WL moderators decide about that. Perhaps you are offended as compared to the article being offensive?

  13. #13
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Reputation: formica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Ash Bocast/Roam Rydes does a podcast about women in mountain biking. She has a series, "Minority Report".

    Minority Report ‚ÄĒ The Roam Rydes Podcast

    Minority Report Dos ‚ÄĒ The Roam Rydes Podcast

    Minority Report III ‚ÄĒ The Roam Rydes Podcast

    "ii" is a friend of mine, a Chilean immigrant who talks about what it's like to be a mountain biker in an extremely macho (Latin macho, not asshole macho) culture.

  14. #14
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,726
    ^^ Thanks for those, sounds interesting.

    I would challenge some of the naysayers to go participate next weekend in a sport or event where they look different from 99% of the other participants. Perhaps it would give you greater insight into this woman's experience and story. Your comments are unwelcoming and unwelcome, and illustrate why some people might not be 100% comfortable MTB'g.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    The piece is a political and ideological hint job under the rouse of being about mountain biking. The author attempts to hide her bias at times and and other times doesnít and just flat out shows her distain.

    And to suggest otherwise is to be disingenuous.

    Iíll say again. It has no place here Sub forum or not. If a similar piece was posted with the ideologies or politics flipped. It wouldnít last an hour before it was removed.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LargeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Thanks for those, sounds interesting.

    I would challenge some of the naysayers to go participate next weekend in a sport or event where they look different from 99% of the other participants. Perhaps it would give you greater insight into this woman's experience and story. Your comments are unwelcoming and unwelcome, and illustrate why some people might not be 100% comfortable MTB'g.
    Do it all the time, don't feel out of place at all on BB court. Just wish the n word wasn't used so much. Also I am in contact with the other 99% during the entire activity, MTB not so much, give me break.
    :nono:

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Legbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,564
    OMG. Someone feels out of place and that offends you? HTFU, there is nothing offensive in her story. She understandably feels out of place. She feels it, there is no arguing with that.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

    Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    She specifically said her professional field is difficult to find jobs in.
    Well and good, but being so scared of Republicans that you have trouble getting out of your car simply because you're in a purple county honestly seems like more a mental health issue than a reflection of reality to me. Hopefully she gets to meet more people outside her comfort zone and manages to overcome some of her own biases.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    OMG. Someone feels out of place and that offends you? HTFU, there is nothing offensive in her story. She understandably feels out of place. She feels it, there is no arguing with that.
    I would tell the author to HTFU. Thatís my whole point.

    But letís play her game. She is offended. Iím offended at her bias towards and certain political party or ideology. Iím offended at her bias towards a certain skin color.

    I have been riding bikes and doing many other sports in the mountains my whole life People in the mountains are some of, if not the most inclusive people there are.

    Be honest. Any honest person can read through the lines and sees the authors intended message.

    Iíll decode it for you. White people, especially white Trump voters are racists. And itís wrong that some people have nicer bikes then others. We should all rides the same bikes.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,125
    Showing your white male arse on a womanís forum is not proving what you think itís proving. Just saying ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    I would tell the author to HTFU. Thatís my whole point.

    But letís play her game. She is offended. Iím offended at her bias towards and certain political party or ideology. Iím offended at her bias towards a certain skin color.

    I have been riding bikes and doing many other sports in the mountains my whole life People in the mountains are some of, if not the most inclusive people there are.

    Be honest. Any honest person can read through the lines and sees the authors intended message.

    Iíll decode it for you. White people, especially white Trump voters are racists. And itís wrong that some people have nicer bikes then others. We should all rides the same bikes.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,125
    The article demonstrates the difficulty of hiding your otherness in a country that discriminates against anyone who is not a Caucasian male.

    The example used by the author; mountain biking as a traditionally white male dominated sport, is an attemp to push back against stereotypes and discrimination.

    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Ok. So Iím asking seriously. What is the issue in the piece? I think I have an idea. But in an attempt for clarity. Im sincerely asking. Is it that mountain bikers are racists? Or sexists? Or there isnít income equality in bike ownership?
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I would challenge some of the naysayers to go participate next weekend in a sport or event where they look different from 99% of the other participants. .
    Not next weekend, but my wife, 14 yo son and I are hitting up another big Bikelife ride/party/cookout in a few weeks. (Those are the guys you see on the news doing wheelies on dirt bikes and ATVs through the city.)

    It's a bit of a wilder scene than your typical "sporting event", and we stick out like you read about demographic-wise, easily 95% non-white crowd, with the majority from inner city areas. Last one we attended was probably 1000 people. None of us give it a second thought, everybody's there to rip wheelies and have a good time.

    Maybe it would be more intimidating if there were gonna be more Republicans there.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The article demonstrates the difficulty of hiding your otherness in a country that discriminates against anyone who is not a Caucasian male.

    The example used by the author; mountain biking as a traditionally white male dominated sport, is an attemp to push back against stereotypes and discrimination.
    This is totally hypocritical as I am one of the main reasons this thread is continuing But when will this thread be closed mods? It clearly violates the rules.

    But since it isnít. Letís keep playing


    Otherness? Is that that latest label?

    Is the argument really trying to be made that mountain biking is a racist, sexist sport? That the average weekend rider feels racism or sexism on the trail? You canít be serious.

    Please donít allow the PC victimhood, race shaming infect our sport.

    And Iíll keep saying it as long as the thread is open. Itís a political anti conservative, anti white and anti male hit piece. Hiding behind victim status isnít fooling anyone.

  24. #24
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    OMG. Someone feels out of place and that offends you? HTFU, there is nothing offensive in her story. She understandably feels out of place. She feels it, there is no arguing with that.
    Yeah, I get that.
    When someone talks about how they feel, it's a bit of read between the lines. Not much to contest because "it's how they feel".

    In this case, past experiences, moving to a new place, having fears and expectations and add in the fuster cluck of majority media fanning fires in a country with a very divided election at the same time.
    Moving here around the time of or just after;
    Cars burning or flipped over in the streets, buildings nearly cremated and colleges shut down ?
    Bumper stickers and a new prez really didn't have anything on the spotlight and microphone's the talking heads dominated for months to keep things smoldering.
    Anyone new to America at the time seeing 5 minutes of news-reel could suffer a highjacked belief system instantly.

    Stick with her story long enough and you see she has grown to love biking and only points to concrete examples of 'trouble' or realized fears from other places she has lived or visited. Whatever her intent, I see it as a Win for her and Colorado. I hope she continues with her enjoyment of biking and becoming part of the community she has found rather than a division of social and economic forces that can't get along. Her experience may have pre-determined her expectations but I'm glad her story sounds like Colorado was a happy accident for her.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 05-06-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

  25. #25
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: str8edgMTBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    This is totally hypocritical as I am one of the main reasons this thread is continuing But when will this thread be closed mods? It clearly violates the rules.

    But since it isnít. Letís keep playing


    Otherness? Is that that latest label?

    Is the argument really trying to be made that mountain biking is a racist, sexist sport? That the average weekend rider feels racism or sexism on the trail? You canít be serious.

    Please donít allow the PC victimhood, race shaming infect our sport.

    And Iíll keep saying it as long as the thread is open. Itís a political anti conservative, anti white and anti male hit piece. Hiding behind victim status isnít fooling anyone.
    sounds to me like she struck a chord with you...and given your stance, it might sort of be "hitting close to home" ? Only someone who is a triggered, Super-Conservative, privileged white male would be as riled up about this...right? Please prove me wrong. Your reaction reminds me of the textbook reactions of all of the MAGA types I know and have encountered, so please prove to me that you are not that way to make your complaints valid. Or don't, but right when I read your first post, that was the vibe I got, and your verbage is that of a MAGA type. If you are not then good, but it certainly sounds like you have some leanings that way.

    For clarity's sake:
    I am a white male; 50 years old; grew up in a lower/middle working class family in the Ohio. I currently would also be considered lower/middle class in my economic status. I am registered as an Independent as I have always found agreement with issues on both sides of the political spectrum. I do tend to lean left of center, but not exclusively given the issue.

    I absolutely agree with every thing she is saying, and I read NOTHING in the piece about MTBing being racist. I read that she has issues with a demographic of our current society, - The MAGA demographic - that is probably as much of a minority as she is, but that seems to be a majority due to the media sensationalizing everything. She feels oppressed by this demographic, and rightfully so. Hiding in the car might seem "overreactive", but none of us has lived in her situation, so to make that judgment is pretty shallow.

    I also read that she is actually finding a shelter from the idiocy and overreaction in our society by doing MTB. She was surprised by the camouflaged shirt guy not being a jerk. Her friend who introduced her to MTB was a male, but it did not mention his ethnicity...

    Hopefully she is finding more solace and comfort in riding.

    In my 40+ years of riding BMX and MTB, I have NEVER encountered someone who was outwardly racist, sexist etc ON THE TRAIL, or at the skatepark. These people might become raging ass hats off the bike, but most of the people I have dealt with were pretty much just like me in their views. In BMX especially, there was always a mix of races - but admittedly not as many females - and economic status. I think that is because BMX tends to be a less expensive sport to initially get into, and you can ride everywhere.

    MTB does have economic separation b/c you have to have money to get a decent bike to survive the riding, and you have to somehow spend money to get to most places to ride, unless you do urban MTB....Around central Ohio, most of the MTBers are middle to upper class white males. Even I honestly feel intimidated sometimes at the trail head b/c everyone is rolling in with super expensive bikes hooked up to <$50,000 cars and trucks...but that quickly goes away when I see how we all ride about the same (and most everyone is "overbiked" for the terrain b/c they fell to industry hype about bikes).

    not trying to start a politcal shytestorm here - so mods feel free to do what you want with this post - but just trying to understand why five0 is so triggered by the article

    carry on
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

    15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    Welcome to the sport of mtb, Raksha, if you're following this. We need more people from different cultures and backgrounds in our sport. Overcoming our fears is liberating. So is overcoming our biases. I hope you stick with it long enough to learn many of your biases are exaggerated or misplaced.

    Signed,
    An old, white male from Trump Country (but not a Trump supporter)
    Veni vidi velo!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post

    not trying to start a politcal shytestorm here


    I also found the article blatantly political and quite biased.
    I'm sorry for the author that she is fearful of people who look different than her, but I'm sure if a white female put forth the author's same viewpoints but with regard to black males, she would surely (and rightfully) be called out as harboring racist views.

    Try it on for size:
    "I'm afraid to get out of my car in a 64% black neighborhood because I don't want to be attacked."

    I'd find that ridiculous and unacceptable myself.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  28. #28
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: str8edgMTBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post


    I also found the article blatantly political and quite biased.
    I'm sorry for the author that she is fearful of people who look different than her, but I'm sure if a white female put forth the author's same viewpoints but with regard to black males, she would surely (and rightfully) be called out as harboring racist views.

    Try it on for size:
    "I'm afraid to get out of my car in a 64% black neighborhood because I don't want to be attacked."

    I'd find that ridiculous and unacceptable myself.
    to re-clarify, I didn't think that she was saying that MTBrs are racist....however I do agree that she does not "shield" her viewpoints from a political sense....but again, I do think that some of that is from the climate of the culture right now....and NONE of the white males on this forum can make the decision as to how her world view has been formulated because we are not South-Asian women...regardless of whether I think her viewpoint is wrong, it doesn't mean that it isn't valid to her
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

    15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    This is totally hypocritical as I am one of the main reasons this thread is continuing But when will this thread be closed mods? It clearly violates the rules.

    But since it isnít. Letís keep playing


    Otherness? Is that that latest label?

    Is the argument really trying to be made that mountain biking is a racist, sexist sport? That the average weekend rider feels racism or sexism on the trail? You canít be serious.

    Please donít allow the PC victimhood, race shaming infect our sport.

    And Iíll keep saying it as long as the thread is open. Itís a political anti conservative, anti white and anti male hit piece. Hiding behind victim status isnít fooling anyone.
    I think you need to go out and try being the odd one out, it's only through experience that you'll gain the insight needed to see what I'm talking about.

    I spent a few years in very poor country in West Africa, it was enlightening to say the least, certainly opened my eyes further to what it means to stand out.

    I'll try one more time: If you are a woman, a child, elderly, disabled, LGBFT, or a person of color, in our visible world you are judged by how you appear. Make no mistake, appearances are how humans (all animals?) make their initial judgement of another human.

    Ask yourself how a person of middle eastern descent can hide their appearance in a country where said appearance is strongly associated with terrorism?

    They can't, hence the author's purpose in writing that article.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

  30. #30
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Reputation: formica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post


    I also found the article blatantly political and quite biased.
    I'm sorry for the author that she is fearful of people who look different than her, but I'm sure if a white female put forth the author's same viewpoints but with regard to black males, she would surely (and rightfully) be called out as harboring racist views.

    Try it on for size:
    "I'm afraid to get out of my car in a 64% black neighborhood because I don't want to be attacked."

    I'd find that ridiculous and unacceptable myself.

    Having grown up 3 blocks from the ghetto in the South Side of Chicago, I can assure you (that at least in the 60's) that is not a ridiculous idea at all..

    Having been hassled racially over the years (I look Mideastern, been hassled both for being anything you can think of that originates in the Mideast ) my world view is very different than yours.

    You've made it clear YOU don't agree with the article. Why do you keep hammering about it? Are you expecting to change someone's mind?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    sounds to me like she struck a chord with you...and given your stance, it might sort of be "hitting close to home" ? Only someone who is a triggered, Super-Conservative, privileged white male would be as riled up about this...right? Please prove me wrong. Your reaction reminds me of the textbook reactions of all of the MAGA types I know and have encountered, so please prove to me that you are not that way to make your complaints valid. Or don't, but right when I read your first post, that was the vibe I got, and your verbage is that of a MAGA type. If you are not then good, but it certainly sounds like you have some leanings that way.

    For clarity's sake:
    I am a white male; 50 years old; grew up in a lower/middle working class family in the Ohio. I currently would also be considered lower/middle class in my economic status. I am registered as an Independent as I have always found agreement with issues on both sides of the political spectrum. I do tend to lean left of center, but not exclusively given the issue.

    I absolutely agree with every thing she is saying, and I read NOTHING in the piece about MTBing being racist. I read that she has issues with a demographic of our current society, - The MAGA demographic - that is probably as much of a minority as she is, but that seems to be a majority due to the media sensationalizing everything. She feels oppressed by this demographic, and rightfully so. Hiding in the car might seem "overreactive", but none of us has lived in her situation, so to make that judgment is pretty shallow.

    I also read that she is actually finding a shelter from the idiocy and overreaction in our society by doing MTB. She was surprised by the camouflaged shirt guy not being a jerk. Her friend who introduced her to MTB was a male, but it did not mention his ethnicity...

    Hopefully she is finding more solace and comfort in riding.

    In my 40+ years of riding BMX and MTB, I have NEVER encountered someone who was outwardly racist, sexist etc ON THE TRAIL, or at the skatepark. These people might become raging ass hats off the bike, but most of the people I have dealt with were pretty much just like me in their views. In BMX especially, there was always a mix of races - but admittedly not as many females - and economic status. I think that is because BMX tends to be a less expensive sport to initially get into, and you can ride everywhere.

    MTB does have economic separation b/c you have to have money to get a decent bike to survive the riding, and you have to somehow spend money to get to most places to ride, unless you do urban MTB....Around central Ohio, most of the MTBers are middle to upper class white males. Even I honestly feel intimidated sometimes at the trail head b/c everyone is rolling in with super expensive bikes hooked up to <$50,000 cars and trucks...but that quickly goes away when I see how we all ride about the same (and most everyone is "overbiked" for the terrain b/c they fell to industry hype about bikes).

    not trying to start a politcal shytestorm here - so mods feel free to do what you want with this post - but just trying to understand why five0 is so triggered by the article

    carry on
    Ok Iíll bite. 48 yo white male. I grew up in lower middle class suburb of Los Angels. Where we were all ďminoritiesĒ. There was no majorities. I grew up on a cornucopia of nationalities. Hispanic, Black, Asian, Pacific Islanders, Samoan (I do a mean slap dance), Filipino and middle eastern. I grew up hearing ďwhite boyĒ. Along with every other racial slang term. Got along with every one. Never knew being white had any ďprivilegeĒ attached to it

    My first bikes I got at Christmas were bikes (I later found out) my father purchased from police surplus, cleaned them up , repainted them and gave them to me. I donít come from money

    I have lived outside of this country. I know what real poverty is and whatís it like to truly be poor. Havijg anxiety about waking into a bike shop and not being able to afford a nice bike, isnít poverty that should cause anxiety or a feeling of ďothernessĒ.

    I speak more then one language. I have children that our ďmultiracialĒ.

    I have lived in countries where I havenít just felt anxiety because of some one in a camouflage shirt who looks different then me, makes me feel so. I have been told my natives of the country to go home. I donít belong in their country. So I guess I havenít just felt a perceived sense of not fitting in or ďOthernessĒ. I have been a victim of legitimate racism and Otherness.



    I have spent almost 25 years as both a police officer and emergency medical provider. Iím a cop and a paramedic So Iím well versed in both criminal law, tort law and constitutional law. Iím just as versed in medicine. I can explain to you the ion exchange and polarizing and depolarizing of cells and the path of electrical current in the human heart.

    I have worked for some of the countries largest police departments and some of smallest. I have worked in some of our countries poorest communities and some of the richest Had to go to into some of the poorest ghettos and been into homes of some of the richest in our country.


    I deal first hand with out countries immigration problem. I can stated all day long the negative effects it has on our country. But I balance that with a personal knowledge of why people come here. I have lived in the places they come from. I look the other way when ever I can. I use my conscious to guide me in enforcement. I always try and do the right thing. I take my occupation seriously and always try and follow the spirit of the law. I use my multicultural upbringing and time outside of this country to guide my decisions


    I donít drive a pick up truck with a MAGA sticker in the window. Iíve driven a Saab. (Man I loved that car).

    The author wants to live a world where she isnít asked where she is from. How sad. I asked people all the time where they are from. Especially on the trail. It embarrasses the heck out of my wife and kids. But I do so cause Iím friendly. I enjoy meeting new people and making conversation. Especially when in my bike. I welcome anyone who is visiting this country, my state or my city.


    So your opinion of who I am and where I came from based on a two sentence post, might be off just a little. Iím not the quintessential Trump MAGA voter the media has portrayed.

    For the record. If the piece that was posted was politically slanted toward my personal politics, I would still say it doesnít belong here.


    Iím not on any others form of social media No FB. No twitter. No Instagram. Because of my profession I keep a low profile. MTBR is the only online media I participate in. Thatís why I have taken such a strong stance against the posting of the artifice here. Itís doesn't belong on this site.

    And yes it is offensive. It it divisive . It makes accusations against a certain skin color. Several members have stated there opposition to it. They are also offended by the article.

    Iím not triggered. I just have chosen to take a stance to keep that type of material from infecting a site that I enjoy to discuss my hobby and passion. There is enough divineness everywhere else. We donít need it here. Today itís in the
    Womenís lounge. Next itís in Passion. (BTW. Please put Passion back on top). Keep pieces like that where they belong. Thatís all Iím saying.

  32. #32
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,149
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    to re-clarify, I didn't think that she was saying that MTBrs are racist....however I do agree that she does not "shield" her viewpoints from a political sense....but again, I do think that some of that is from the climate of the culture right now....and NONE of the white males on this forum can make the decision as to how her world view has been formulated because we are not South-Asian women...regardless of whether I think her viewpoint is wrong, it doesn't mean that it isn't valid to her
    So much this.

    Everyone can pontificate until we are blue in the face but we can never understand what someone is going through.

    My take away is that she is scared, and understandably so. She finds mountain biking cathartic, and understandably so. She finds bike shops exclusive and difficult to enter, and understandably so.

    As a white male, but not the roadie phenotype, I have felt isolated and discriminated upon when entering a roadies specific store. I can't even image what it would be like to be women entering one much less an non-white person. There are plenty of great shops to go to but as a newbie would you know where they are? Or would you start at the ones near you? What if it was a serious roadie shop?

    If you can't ask yourself what if and place yourself within others shoes before you rage against the machine, you might be the problem.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Having grown up 3 blocks from the ghetto in the South Side of Chicago, I can assure you (that at least in the 60's) that is not a ridiculous idea at all..

    Having been hassled racially over the years (I look Mideastern, been hassled both for being anything you can think of that originates in the Mideast ) my world view is very different than yours.

    You've made it clear YOU don't agree with the article. Why do you keep hammering about it? Are you expecting to change someone's mind?
    Not hammering, discussing. Isn't that the purpose of a forum?

    I actually am hoping to change people's minds if they are people who are trying to justify racial stereotyping, which it seems some are. For example, I've had experiences when I was younger (and in parts of my adulthood) that could certainly lead to ill feelings regarding certain demographics. I'm sure many others have too. So do you believe it would be okay for people to sterotype and harbor racist opinions throughout their entire lives based on those experiences? Or is that only okay for everyone else because of identity politics?

    I don't know what 60's have to do with it - Chicago and many other primarily minority (and Democratic) areas of the country just as dangerous now. Is it really acceptable in this day and age to not only avoid places because of certain races being present, but to openly admit it and find support? I thought only evil white Republican men did that sort of thing.

    Any, I'll stop discussing the issue. I doubt anyone here will admit to their own biases, even to themselves, so you're right, it's a lost cause. I blame Trump, of course.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  34. #34
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: str8edgMTBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Ok Iíll bite. 48 yo white male. I grew up in lower middle class suburb of Los Angels. Where we were all ďminoritiesĒ where I grew up. There was no majorities. I grew up on a cornucopia of nationalities. Hispanic, Black, Asian, Pacific Islanders, Samoan (I do a mean slap dance), Filipino and middle eastern. I grew up hearing ďwhite boyĒ. Along with every other racial slang term Got along with every one Never knew being white had any ďprivilegeĒ attached to it

    My first bikes I got at Christmas weíre bikes (I later found out) my father purchased from police surplus, cleaned them up , repainted them and gave them to me. I donít come from money

    I have lived outside of this country. I know what real poverty is and whatís it like to truly be poor. And having anxiety about waking into a bike shop and not being able to afford a nice bike isnít poverty that should cause anxiety or a feeling of ďothernessĒ.

    I speak more then one language. I have children that our ďmultiracialĒ.

    I have lived in countries where I havenít just felt anxiety because of some one in a camouflage shirt who looks different then me, makes me feel so. I have been told my natives of country to go home. I donít belong in their country. So I guess I havenít just felt a perceived sense of not fitting in or ďOthernessĒ. I have been a victim of legitimate racism.

    I have spent almost 25 years as both a police officer and emergency medical provider. Iím a cop and a paramedic So Iím well versed in both criminal law, tort law and constitutional law. Iím just as versed in medicine. I can explain to you the ion exchange and polarizing and depolarizing of cells and the path of electrical current in the human heart.

    I have worked for some of the countries largest police departments and some of smallest. I have worked in some of our countries poorest communities and some of the richest Had to go to into some of the poorest ghettos and been into homes of some of the richest in our country

    I donít drive a pick up truck with a MAGA sticker in the window. Iíve driven a Saab. (Man I loved that car).

    So your opinion of who I am and where I came from based on a two sentence post, might be off just a little

    For the record. If the piece that was posted was politically slanted toward my personal politics, I would still say it doesnít belong here


    Iím not on any others form of social media No FB. No twitter No Instagram. Because of my profession I keep a low profile. MTBR is the only online media I participate in. Thatís why I have taken such a strong stance against the posting of the artifice here. Itís doesn't belong on this site

    And yes it is offensive. It it divisive . It makes accusations against a certain skin color. Several members have stated there opposition to it and they are also offended

    Iím not triggered. I just have chosen to take a stance to keep that type of material from infecting a site that I enjoy to discuss my hobby and passion. There is enough divineness everywhere else. We donít need it here. Today itís in the
    Womenís lounge. Next itís in Passion. (BTW. Please put Passion back on top). Keep pieces like that where they belong. Thatís all Iím saying.
    awesome....thank you for the info. I was hoping that you were not just a MAGA type "Spouting off" at the mouth. Again, I am soooo used to that reaction happening that I am sort of "conditioned" to just assuming that is who it is coming from...

    I am also in the exact same boat as you with social media....i hate it. I think it is actually a catalyst to a lot of the evil in modern American Society. This forum, and Vital BMX are the only social media I am on as ell

    I do agree that racism, or separatism of any form should not be encouraged or accepted. She could have voiced her issue in a more eloquent way in that aspect, but you can't say that she is wrong, or suspect to have that view point.

    Grew up in about the same economic bubble that you did, but in C-bus in the 70's, there were just whites and African Americans, so not as much ethnic diversity. But in my classrooms, I had about the same number of whites and blacks. Not saying that it was a utopia, but I experienced different lifestyles earlier than a lot of my friends
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

    15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    Grew up in about the same economic bubble that you did, but in C-bus in the 70's, there were just whites and African Americans, so not as much ethnic diversity. But in my classrooms, I had about the same number of whites and blacks. Not saying that it was a utopia, but I experienced different lifestyles earlier than a lot of my friends
    In the 70's, I grew up on military bases until almost high school; it was a major culture shock to me when we finally moved off base and all of sudden 'everybody' was white.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    awesome....thank you for the info. I was hoping that you were not just a MAGA type "Spouting off" at the mouth. Again, I am soooo used to that reaction happening that I am sort of "conditioned" to just assuming that is who it is coming from...

    I am also in the exact same boat as you with social media....i hate it. I think it is actually a catalyst to a lot of the evil in modern American Society. This forum, and Vital BMX are the only social media I am on as ell

    I do agree that racism, or separatism of any form should not be encouraged or accepted. She could have voiced her issue in a more eloquent way in that aspect, but you can't say that she is wrong, or suspect to have that view point.

    Grew up in about the same economic bubble that you did, but in C-bus in the 70's, there were just whites and African Americans, so not as much ethnic diversity. But in my classrooms, I had about the same number of whites and blacks. Not saying that it was a utopia, but I experienced different lifestyles earlier than a lot of my friends
    Im not saying she is wrong. Well yea I guess I am. But thatís my personal take.

    Iím saying the piece has no business on this forum. It violates our rules.

    Here is the deal. I just canít. I canít relate to the author or some of the other members here. But Iím jaded. I spend my day dealing with what to me are ďrealĒ problems. While some people are victims of ďexperiencing OthernessĒ. Or anxiety of being non-white and having to go into a bike shop. I spend my time with victims of rape, or assault or drug addiction. Or living with true mental illness. Or victims who suddenly lost family member in a car crash. Or victimsof child abuse or molestation. Or sex trafficking Or murder victims. Or having to live on the streets in a box. Or having to bury a partner who was killed in the line of duty, or committed suicide.

    So forgive me. Not to be unkind or unsympathetic. But I am. I just canít. I canít relate so someone who has anxiety about moving to a city that is 80% white. Or is scared to get out of a car in a county that voted 64% republican. Maybe others can sympathize. Iím glad. I wish I could. My world is different. Like it has been stated in other posts these are the authorís ďexperiencesĒ. My life ďexperiencesĒ are different. They donít allow me to be able to be stressed about wether or not I fit in a bike shop or gear store. My anxiety revolves around going home at the end of my shift to my family. I understand Iím different. Most people donít have to see or ďexperienceĒ what I see daily. And good for you. Itís my burden of which I do gladly.

    But when I read about such experiences my first reaction is to say ďReally? Is this a joke?Ē I recognize Iím different.

    Iím out I donít belong in this conversation. You may now return to you regular scheduled programming.

  37. #37
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,361
    I'll just add this opinion FiveO-
    Your own inclusive list of background recently posted offers much insight and perspective.

    Looking at the article that started these conversations, I see the authors expression more as "this is how I feel or felt". It seems to me, much of the back-n-forth here by many of 'us' boils down to the differences in speaking from the emotional side of the brain versus the logical.
    I actually credit all on this post for keeping it fairly civil or back on track to a degree.

    IMO, there has to be some clairifcations or perspective put out there by 'us' for others to better understand our response.
    Don't respond with too much emotion, re read your post, edit for clarity (spelling in my case - ALWAYS) !!

    I'm glad to have caught this subject and get an idea of what others coming here think, expect or experience. It's nice when they are right -sometimes and it's nice when they are wrong -sometimes.


    ~b
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    261
    I appreciate that. (Horrible phone typer and donít always have time to go back and proof read and correct typos. My thumbs canít keep up with my mind. But you get my point)

    Let me ask this. Does the piece belong here on MTBR? Not is it right or wrong. Or are authorís experiences valid or not. Itís unarguably political. So following forum rules, is this the correct forum for such an article? Are there not rules to keep political views out of posts? Have those rules clearly not been broken?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14,009
    Why not ignore threads that don't interest you? Why rely on policing?

    Mountain biking cures all, as demonstrated by the article. Awesome!
    I brake for stinkbugs

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Why not ignore threads that don't interest you? Why rely on policing?

    Mountain biking cures all, as demonstrated by the article. Awesome!
    +1

    Personally, I am glad the OP posted the article. Thanks for sharing.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,125
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    +1

    Personally, I am glad the OP posted the article. Thanks for sharing.
    Same here, difficult conversation, but worthwhile, things that make you go hmmm.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Im not saying she is wrong. Well yea I guess I am. But thatís my personal take.

    Iím saying the piece has no business on this forum. It violates our rules.

    Here is the deal. I just canít. I canít relate to the author or some of the other members here. But Iím jaded. I spend my day dealing with what to me are ďrealĒ problems. While some people are victims of ďexperiencing OthernessĒ. Or anxiety of being non-white and having to go into a bike shop. I spend my time with victims of rape, or assault or drug addiction. Or living with true mental illness. Or victims who suddenly lost family member in a car crash. Or victimsof child abuse or molestation. Or sex trafficking Or murder victims. Or having to live on the streets in a box. Or having to bury a partner who was killed in the line of duty, or committed suicide.

    So forgive me. Not to be unkind or unsympathetic. But I am. I just canít. I canít relate so someone who has anxiety about moving to a city that is 80% white. Or is scared to get out of a car in a county that voted 64% republican. Maybe others can sympathize. Iím glad. I wish I could. My world is different. Like it has been stated in other posts these are the authorís ďexperiencesĒ. My life ďexperiencesĒ are different. They donít allow me to be able to be stressed about wether or not I fit in a bike shop or gear store. My anxiety revolves around going home at the end of my shift to my family. I understand Iím different. Most people donít have to see or ďexperienceĒ what I see daily. And good for you. Itís my burden of which I do gladly.

    But when I read about such experiences my first reaction is to say ďReally? Is this a joke?Ē I recognize Iím different.

    Iím out I donít belong in this conversation. You may now return to you regular scheduled programming.
    Just a quick question. How is she wrong? She was stating her opinion. I've never been in her shoes so I can't say for certain how to react. I can say as a female I do worry about a stranger attacking and raping me.

    I have some of the same background as you. Been in EMS for almost 25 years, spent a short time as a police officer and swat medic. I practice situational awareness everywhere I go but that little fear stays in the back of my head. No, it hasn't happened to me and I hope it never will. I won't wish that on anyone.

    The article is clearly an experience written by someone's point of view. Yes some of the stuff mentioned isn't pertinent but it's there now. We should just be happy to have another rider join our community. The more voices the better.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

  43. #43
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    Posters here have got too hooked up on two paragraphs with relation to the US election.

    The author states repeatedly how she's overcome her own pre-conceived fear, for example:

    "On the trail, I stopped to take a picture of yucca clinging improbably to slanting canyon walls. A man in a camouflage shirt walked towards me. As he got closer, he blinked noticeably, as if surprised to see someone like me there. But he nodded as he passed by, and I released the breath I hadnít known Iíd been holding."

    The article is titled: "Mountain biking is my act of resistance" and the more I read it the more I feel it's resistance by the author against her own fears, how she refuses to adhere to a societal stereotype and instead uses biking as an "act of resistance".

    The more we accept anyone who wants to ride bikes into our community the more we all contribute to the "act of resistance" and the world will be a better place for it.

    Find the positives in the article instead of the negatives and it becomes a completely different read.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Posters here have got too hooked up on two paragraphs with relation to the US election.

    The author states repeatedly how she's overcome her own pre-conceived fear, for example:

    ...

    Find the positives in the article instead of the negatives and it becomes a completely different read.

    This exactly. Sure, she's got a bit of baggage, but overall I saw the article as her overcoming her own fears. I totally understand those fears. I'm a 48 year old (white) lady who recently began biking. I'm frightened and intimidated on the trails. I'm terrified to go into a bike shop. I think everyone knows more than me and and has been riding longer. Every time I see another rider, I pull over and wait until they are out of sight so they can't see how awful my skills really are. I love to ride with my children, but they will never think I'm awful. No, I've never met a sexist person on a trail. Everyone seems really nice, they are all encouraging, but I can't help my own fears. I can only imagine those fears compounded by all the other factors she has to deal with. Being brown in today's America is NOT easy. To me, the article is not saying that OTHER people have told her she shouldn't be on the trials. It's about her telling HERSELF that she shouldn't be there, thinking that other people MIGHT feel the same way, and realizing that's she's gonna do it anyway, and feel awesome for it. It's about leaving your comfort zone, and smashing a stereotype or two along the way.

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain Bikers Seek to Gut Wilderness Act
    By tungsten in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 458
    Last Post: 09-12-2018, 06:07 PM
  2. Bruce Ridge ACT
    By Bucket Master in forum Australia, New Zealand
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 11:47 PM
  3. A Class Act
    By jms in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 11:28 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 06:08 AM
  5. Thief caught in the act!
    By pmarshall in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.