The Most Influential Women in Cycling- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,726

    The Most Influential Women in Cycling


  2. #2
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    This is a more robust article and isn't quite so North American-centric, though there is definitely some overlap. Some of the most interesting and powerful women in cycling are located in Asia. It's women like Stella Yu, one of the richest women in Taiwan, whose company makes 80% of the worlds bicycle saddles, that are truly influencing cycling on a global level: Bicycle Retailer - 50 Influential Women
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lucy Juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    382
    Two very interesting links! Thanks both of you for sharing.

  4. #4
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15,074
    Dreads? Dead piranha? Mad skillz?

    Missy “The Missile” Giove
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  5. #5
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,757
    Aka weed trafficker.

  6. #6
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15,074
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Aka weed trafficker.

    her life unravelled but I hope she's on her way to getting things back together.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  7. #7
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,259
    I read that. I couldn't believe they also didn't mention April Lawyer, Leigh Donovan, Paola Pezzo and more.
    People forget that April Lawyer had medals and trophies for Mountian Biking and Snowboarding.
    She may have posed for the sexiest bike and girl picture ever taken.

    Sorry, I just realized the link brought me into the Women's Lounge.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  8. #8
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,757

    The Most Influential Women in Cycling

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    her life unravelled but I hope she's on her way to getting things back together.
    For sure. My favorite racer is either Furtado or Jill Hamilton or Ruthie. Or maybe Jacquie. Pioneers.

  9. #9
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    I read that. I couldn't believe they also didn't mention April Lawyer, Leigh Donovan, Paola Pezzo and more.
    Medals don't make business decisions, unfortunately. 99% of all the money still has to be approved by a guy. The higher up you get, the fewer women you find.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  10. #10
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Aka weed trafficker.
    Yes, and also multiple traumatic brain injury survivor with a history of depression. Missy regularly raced with and crashed on already existing concussions. It's been shown over and over again that TBI impairs judgement, self-control and ability to self-regulate. If any retired racer's poor choices inspired compassion, I'd say she is a candidate.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  11. #11
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    Yes, and also multiple traumatic brain injury survivor with a history of depression. Missy regularly raced with and crashed on already existing concussions. It's been shown over and over again that TBI impairs judgement, self-control and ability to self-regulate. If any retired racer's poor choices inspired compassion, I'd say she is a candidate.
    To be fair, she was expelled multiple times in elementary school for fighting so I think her self-control was impaired already. She and her partner had 400 pounds of weed and over a million dollars but she didn't serve any time in prison so yes, people have compassion for her plight. I think it's a disservice to other people with head injuries that have not committed multiple felonies to say, well, she bonked her head a bunch of times so she's not responsible for her own actions. Her own teammates: Rockwell, Deaton, Tomac - none of them got into such legal troubles and I imagine they bonked their skulls as well. She is not an ideal role model for girls or women. It's a shame because she was damned fast. here's what 400 pounds of pot look like:


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    977
    Awww, glad to see Georgia on the list! She's just one of the most fun, down to earth humans I know!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Her own teammates: Rockwell, Deaton, Tomac - none of them got into such legal troubles and I imagine they bonked their skulls as well.
    Rockwell was arrested for growing weed .... but I get your point.

  14. #14
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,825
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    Yes, and also multiple traumatic brain injury survivor with a history of depression. Missy regularly raced with and crashed on already existing concussions. It's been shown over and over again that TBI impairs judgement, self-control and ability to self-regulate. If any retired racer's poor choices inspired compassion, I'd say she is a candidate.
    Ok. And?

    "Oh, Andy took his platoon around Ab Band yesterday and shot a bunch of civilians. But, it's OK, because he got blown up last week."

    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    To be fair, she was expelled multiple times in elementary school for fighting so I think her self-control was impaired already. She and her partner had 400 pounds of weed and over a million dollars but she didn't serve any time in prison so yes, people have compassion for her plight. I think it's a disservice to other people with head injuries that have not committed multiple felonies to say, well, she bonked her head a bunch of times so she's not responsible for her own actions. Her own teammates: Rockwell, Deaton, Tomac - none of them got into such legal troubles and I imagine they bonked their skulls as well. She is not an ideal role model for girls or women. It's a shame because she was damned fast. here's what 400 pounds of pot look like:
    This.
    Death from Below.

  15. #15
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    Screw it. Being nice to people doesn't make them your role model. Not bashing people on the internet isn't that hard, either. She's a real person with real feelings. I've heard enough of her story from the people who care about her to know that compassion isn't out of line. That's a nice picture of weed you posted, though.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  16. #16
    Dudette
    Reputation: petey15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,467
    I didn't think we were necessarily looking for role models per se, rather, listing some of the most influential women in biking. Regardless what people may or may not have done in their personal lives, some have definitely made an impact - Missy being one of them. She opened up a whole new world for women's racing and made people watch.

    There are so many amazing women in this sport! How about Tara Llanes and her work with paraplegics and helping develop better equipment and access to trails? How about Kat Sweet and Kathi Krause (just a couple of the amazing women who dedicate themselves to teaching people the skills needed to become better riders)? Marla Streb, Rachel Atherton, Amanda Batty...this list goes on. And every day it seems I read about another up-and-coming female rider taking the sport by storm. Where would some of them be without another female breaking down barriers and leading the way?
    RideGG, Cycle-CNY

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    I didn't think we were necessarily looking for role models per se, rather, listing some of the most influential women in biking. Regardless what people may or may not have done in their personal lives, some have definitely made an impact - Missy being one of them. She opened up a whole new world for women's racing and made people watch.

    There are so many amazing women in this sport! How about Tara Llanes and her work with paraplegics and helping develop better equipment and access to trails? How about Kat Sweet and Kathi Krause (just a couple of the amazing women who dedicate themselves to teaching people the skills needed to become better riders)? Marla Streb, Rachel Atherton, Amanda Batty...this list goes on. And every day it seems I read about another up-and-coming female rider taking the sport by storm. Where would some of them be without another female breaking down barriers and leading the way?
    Really well said.

    I also think there's some who are being overly harsh regarding Missy and her legal troubles. Her legacy is much larger than her trafficking conviction. Cannabis should be legal anyway, but that's for another discussion ....

  18. #18
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    I didn't think we were necessarily looking for role models per se, rather, listing some of the most influential women in biking.
    This was my original point - these women have all made an impact when it comes to racing, but the reality is that most of their success is dependent upon guys approving their sponsorship. As consumers, it is hard for you to know what the hiring practices and company culture are when you buy a bike, but if you are really looking for women making real change to cycling, that link I posted above lists the real heavy hitters. The racers all have to ask for money, not to take away from their sporting successes. The women in that article actually make decisions that get the funding to those racers.

    As a side note - when I am hiring, I almost never get female applicants. We are trying to change this, via listing our jobs with the Outdoor Industries Women's Coalition and other women friendly classifieds, but it is a real shame that I almost never have the opportunity to offer a job to the next Stella Yu. If you have ever wanted to work in the industry, you should start looking at Brain, Outdoor Industry Jobs, Malakye and the OIWC
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Similar Threads

  1. Companies that support women in cycling
    By formica in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 12:46 PM
  2. Women's Cycling - USA
    By Legbacon in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2015, 06:04 PM
  3. Women's Professional Cycling
    By mtbxplorer in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 05:19 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 04:27 PM
  5. Any women using STRAVA Cycling??
    By alisonmwill in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.