Looking for Utah women riders- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Looking for Utah women riders

Hi everyone! This is my very first post. I have been a lurker for a while. I am so psyched there is a womens forum, finally! Anyway, my husband and I just moved to UT last month from Baltimore. We both have been riding mountain bikes for several years and just recently got into rode biking to increase our mtn biking endurance. Anyway, I am hoping to find other women riders in northern UT to show me/us the goods! Anyone out there?

Kelly

mtbr member
    Hey Kelly,
    I haven't been out riding yet this season (spend too much time skiing) but we might be headed down to Moab this weekend for the first ride of the year. Most of the trails I ride in the SLC area are still under the snow, so it will be a while. What area are you in, maybe I can offer some suggestions...

-Connie

Mar 2004
    Hey Connie,

My husband and I have been doing lots of skiing too since we moved here in January. We hit Alta last weekend for the first time and looooved it!

I haven't been on my bike yet this year but with the weather getting warmer my mind has been on riding. Anyway, I think we are going to have to head south if we want to do any off road riding at this point. We live up in Logan and I work down in Brigham city. I am looking for rides in Ogden and as far as south as SLC that I could hit after work (I usually have the afternoon off). I ended up going to the bike swap in SLC last weekend and was able to pick up several books detailing rides along the Wasatch front. If you could recommend rides not to be missed that would be great. I really seem to like technical single track. I am getting ready to head out on my road bike and soak up some sun. Thanks!

Kelly

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you had a good time at Alta! It's my second home in winter - 3-4 days a week usually.

We live down in Sandy, so unfortunately I'm not much help for trails around Logan or Brigham City. We spend a lot of time in Big Cottonwood (Crest Trail/Mill D), Millcreek (Pipeline or Big Water), and Park City (Johns Trail, Sweeny Switchbacks, the Mid-Mountain Trail...), when we're not traveling to Moab or Brian Head or riding dirt bikes. I'm actually planning on getting a summer season pass at Deer Valley (awesome lift served singletrack) to practice DH more this season. Anyway, there's lots of beautiful technical singletrack in the Park City area.

Let me know if you find anything not to be missed up in your area!

DOH!
    Ladies, sorry to interrupt. kellyinutah, try looking here:

http://www.chpc.utah.edu/~mcuma/bike/ut_bike.html

Very good info.

I lived in Logan for a while; one of my favorite trails was the Jardine Juniper up Logan Canyon. The Deer Fence Trail, on the eastern benches, is also a decent non-technical XC pedal; good training ride. It should also melt off well before any canyon rides. Oh, and the Logan River trail, just into the canyon on the south side, is a nice after-work quicky. You can ride it all the way to the nature walk area...perhaps further now, as I moved to SLC in 1997 and haven't spent much time back in Logan since.

If either of you and/or your significant others are into dirt jumps and/or drops, a couple friends of mine have "rearranged" the terrain a bit in the foothills near 22nd Street in Ogden....with the local land manager's blessing (or at least that's what they tell me), so it's not illegal to ride. As soon as my schedule allows, I hope to head up there myself to help blow the winter dust off my skills. There's also dirt jumps in Tanner Park in Salt Lake, and one other place north of the city, in the foothills.

Also, connie, how often you plan riding Deer Valley this summer? If it averages once a week, we've found that - really - you're almost better off doing daily lift tickets rather than a season pass. The riding season is so short, it's really hard to go enough to break-even on the season ticket. Just a thought... Another point of note: there's also some stuff on the PCMR side of the mountain that's "established". If you and whomever your riding partner(s) is (are) are looking for some challenges beyond Deer Valley, drop me a PM sometime and I can help out.

My girlfriend rides primarily XC- and trail-type stuff (and road), so if either of you are looking for an occassional ride partner, I could facilitate communications, if interested.

Have fun riding, and I now return this thread to it's regularly scheduled programming.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    have you checked the Utah board? you may find others to ride with there and trail info.

good luck.

Rita

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders

Also, connie, how often you plan riding Deer Valley this summer? If it averages once a week, we've found that - really - you're almost better off doing daily lift tickets rather than a season pass. The riding season is so short, it's really hard to go enough to break-even on the season ticket. Just a thought... Another point of note: there's also some stuff on the PCMR side of the mountain that's "established". If you and whomever your riding partner(s) is (are) are looking for some challenges beyond Deer Valley, drop me a PM sometime and I can help out.

My girlfriend rides primarily XC- and trail-type stuff (and road), so if either of you are looking for an occassional ride partner, I could facilitate communications, if interested.

Have fun riding, and I now return this thread to it's regularly scheduled programming.

Cheers.
    We've gotten in maybe 1-2 days a week for the past 2 years, but I'm looking to add Tuesday and Thursday afternoons this summer, in addition to the non-traveling weekends, so I think it should work out. I'm thinking it'll also work out that if I drive up there I can get a couple DH runs in and then go for an evening XC ride.

I'd be happy to go riding with whoever wants to go, but I'm not much of a climber. I tried road biking but gave it up - if there's no good technical descent as a reward I lose all motivation...

Des(s)ert Rat
    I'm 18 miles outside of Utah. If you ever head over to Fruita, let me know.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by connie
    We've gotten in maybe 1-2 days a week for the past 2 years, but I'm looking to add Tuesday and Thursday afternoons this summer, in addition to the non-traveling weekends, so I think it should work out. I'm thinking it'll also work out that if I drive up there I can get a couple DH runs in and then go for an evening XC ride.

I'd be happy to go riding with whoever wants to go, but I'm not much of a climber. I tried road biking but gave it up - if there's no good technical descent as a reward I lose all motivation...

Definitely some jealous thoughts over here that you get so many riding days in at DV. Certainly, going as often as you do the season pass will pay off. Between work, life, and racing, once a week is the best I can manage on the lifts. I also wish they'd be a bit more progressive at trail building; Thieves Forest and Fireswamp are fun, but after ten runs down 'em in succession, the novelty wears off. ...Not complaining, though, as without DV I'd be hard pressed to justify the costs involved with a dedicated gravity rig.

....Ahhhh...if only you could have a chat with my GF about climbing being good only as a means to an end, that end being a wicked descent. Some people just don't understand.