Ladies: Your favorite hydration packs for 2018- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ladies: Your favorite hydration packs for 2018

It is high time I replace my pack (Camelbak LUXE), and I'm doing a little shopping around... Any recommendations?

Requirements:

- 3L reservoir
    - Lumbar reservoir preferred
    - Storage space for true backcountry self-sufficiency--I know a bottle and a waist pack are gaining popularity, but you just cannot convince me that that's a way to carry everything one should carry on remote all-day rides. Also, I ride small frames, and can only fit a small bottle (if at all!). I lead rides and need to carry a first aid kit (ultralight backpacking style, but still a significant chunk of space). So it's gotta fit all that stuff.

Dudes, if you feel the need to chime in, please just keep in mind that many women have boobs and what fits great for you may not fit me at all!

L1MEY
    I'm in the same boat re. all day rides in remote places where you need to be self sufficient. I went with the Osprey Raven 14, which splits the difference between my minimalist Camelbak Lobo and the Gregory 28l hiking pack I had been using when I needed to carry more than 2 litres of water.

The Raven is really comfortable, carries a 3l bladder and you can fit lots of stuff in it. It cinches down with side compression straps so if you're not carrying much it won't flop around. My only complaints are that the Osprey bladder is a bit more awkward to fill than the Camelbak bladders, and the magnet clip detaches a bit too easily from the sternum strap (these things are issues with the bladder not the bag though).

I looked into a couple of the Camelbak low rider packs but ultimately decided that a full length pack also offers some back protection after landing square on my back with my Lobo on and suffering no ill effects. I don't find the Raven to be overly warm when riding... my Gregory pack is cooler as the suspension holds it off my back, but it's also much bulkier than the Raven. Overall I'm happy with the Raven.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I’ll second the Osprey Raven, I have the 10 so slightly smaller than the 14 but I keep first aid kit, packable jacket, pump, one tubless bottle, there’s a tool pouch underneath in a separate pouch that puts all your tools/tube and weight lower in the pack and even with full water and food it’s been super comfy.

9 lives
    I have the osprey raven 10 (for longer rides... more storage) and the osprey verve3 for less storage, bulk. Love both

Ladies: Your favorite hydration packs for 2018-25446393_2031718280405946_8025869298025386649_n.jpg

Ladies: Your favorite hydration packs for 2018-23472134_2013437745567333_6783005117651570975_n.jpg

Ladies: Your favorite hydration packs for 2018-19113950_1943563179221457_8186301097567617114_n.jpg

Ladies: Your favorite hydration packs for 2018-19059509_1939788119598963_8947392375839437001_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    So many votes for the Osprey! I will go take a look at it. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Osprey here also. I love how easy the hydration pack goes in and out. Also how easy it is to fill the bladder with ice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Looked at the Osprey Raven 10 and 14 this weekend. WOW those things are super adjustable on fit! Very nice.

I'm waffling between the 10 and 14--I feel like the 14 would be a little better on huge all-day rides, for holding a real jacket and pads AND my first-aid stuff, but those rides are a small proportion of the riding I do, so maybe it doesn't make sense...

mtbr member
    Also, when are we gonna get a pack that holds a smartphone easily accessible without taking the pack off??? I need to take pics!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Juice View Post
    Also, when are we gonna get a pack that holds a smartphone easily accessible without taking the pack off??? I need to take pics!
    This or something similar. https://www.timbuk2.com/3way-smartph...egory=shop-all
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

L1MEY
    Looked at the Osprey Raven 10 and 14 this weekend. WOW those things are super adjustable on fit! Very nice.

I'm waffling between the 10 and 14--I feel like the 14 would be a little better on huge all-day rides, for holding a real jacket and pads AND my first-aid stuff, but those rides are a small proportion of the riding I do, so maybe it doesn't make sense...
    I waffled on this too. I ended up with the 14 because the footprint is the same, it just expands more. The compression straps cinch down tightly so it didn't feel any different to the 10 while wearing it, and the weight difference is minimal. I'd rather have plenty of room than not enough for long rides. For really short rides that are close to home I just use my running vest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    I waffled on this too. I ended up with the 14 because the footprint is the same, it just expands more. The compression straps cinch down tightly so it didn't feel any different to the 10 while wearing it, and the weight difference is minimal. I'd rather have plenty of room than not enough for long rides. For really short rides that are close to home I just use my running vest

That's a really good point! And I think the 14 is still lighter than my current 11L pack by a few ounces.

FWIW--as a quick product review--I checked out the Dakine Drafter 14L women's pack.

Pro: Lumbar reservoir, Hydrapak brand, which I appreciate; lots of thoughtful space inside; spine protection compatible.
    Con: HUGE and heavy; the chest strap isn't adjustable height-wise and it went straight across my nipples which is a hard NO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Dang I got the Raven 10 at REI. Did not know about the 14. Might have to get the 14 when the dividends come out. Love the Raven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L1MEY
    That's a really good point! And I think the 14 is still lighter than my current 11L pack by a few ounces.

FWIW--as a quick product review--I checked out the Dakine Drafter 14L women's pack.

Pro: Lumbar reservoir, Hydrapak brand, which I appreciate; lots of thoughtful space inside; spine protection compatible.
    Con: HUGE and heavy; the chest strap isn't adjustable height-wise and it went straight across my nipples which is a hard NO.
    Lol!

I looked at the Drafter too. I liked the design of it but it was too bulky and heavy. I have a Dakine ski pack that I like, but heavy duty is justified there as it gets a lot of abuse. The Osprey packs compress nicely when you're wearing your jacket and pads, have eaten your lunch and your reservoir is empty!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The Osprey gets my vote - sits flat on your back no matter what you stuff in it. As for the bladder, they are not perfect. The magnet attachment is very convenient but the seal on the bladder can get hung up on the gasket and leak. After a few malfunctions I switched it out to a Camelbak bladder and no issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by H2oChick View Post
    The Osprey gets my vote - sits flat on your back no matter what you stuff in it. As for the bladder, they are not perfect. The magnet attachment is very convenient but the seal on the bladder can get hung up on the gasket and leak. After a few malfunctions I switched it out to a Camelbak bladder and no issues.
    Are you talking about the older Osprey bladders? The new bladders are the fold over type, by far and away my favorite type of bladder. As far as the magnet I never seem to get that right, I usually just tuck it under the chest strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk