that karma ran over someone's dogma: ride report [pics]- Mtbr.com
    i worship Mr T

that karma ran over someone's dogma: ride report [pics]

(cross-post from passion. hence the roadie comments)

ok, this is a roadie post. sue me. my FS is out of commission and lying in a partially stripped heap on the floor waiting to go back to Dean for a new front triangle and my HT is out of commission as a result of racing for 2.5 hours in the rain & mud of Ducktown, TN last weekend (i've managed to replace the brake pads & brake cables but i still need to pull the bb and replace the shifter cables). so, what's a girl to do??!

maybe, i should have just stayed home, mopped the floor & watched the Giro. but i didn't.

i had taken the prior week completely off the bike. i desperately needed the rest. my bikes sat unused & unloved in the corner of the kitchen while i remembered what it was like before my entire live became an exercise in training. beer is good. i like beer. sitting on the couch is good too. i like that too.

by saturday i was ready to ride again and i went out and did 3 hrs/50 miles easy. i felt great!

sunday i woke up to discover that i'd crippled myself. seriously!! i got up to use the restroom in the morning, went to sit down and nearly screamed from the pain in my quads. i had to reach back and lower myself onto the toilet! where is that handicapped bar when you need it??? walking was painful and going down stairs was an exercise in torture.

i knew i had to ride. only spinning would work out the gallons of lactic acid stored in my quads. our ride didn't get off to an auspicious start. we didn't manage to roll out until nearly 5:30pm and the sun that had been beating down all day long was fast disappearing behind a veil of dark clouds.

we picked a 35 mile loop that promised to be flat and agreed to keep the pace easy. the clouds spit at us as we started to roll but we were not to be detered! we spun along and the ride was going well. about 1/2 way through the ride we picked up another rider, "Junior". it was nice to cruise along at about 18 mph in a paceline of 3 and my legs felt far better on the bike than they did off of it.

we turned onto the back side of the loop, a 2 lane road which takes us through rural-ish farm land. off to our right the clouds were gathering and getting darker and darker. hmmmm. maybe we'll beat the rain. yeah right.

Junior was pulling and suddenly yells back "OH! GROSS!!" up ahead is road kill. now, i've seen a lot of road kill in the 5 years i've been riding road. besides, i live in the south and i'm pretty sure the state animal for NC is flattened possum. here in Atl it seems to be inside-out squirrel. but this was road kill like i'd never seen. the animal was not even identifiable and it's parts were spread hither & yon. if you were into reading entrails this animal was an open book!

we replied with a chorous of "EEEEEWWWW! NASTY!" and "UGH! DISGUSTING!", swung wide to avoid the worst of it, and rolled past.

the ride continued with Junior still pulling, me in the middle, and EddieO bringing up the rear. maybe 2 miles later i look to my left an see 2 large dogs (a shepard and a black dog of indeterminate breed) sunning themselves at the end of a long driveway. I thought 'dogs. sleeping. how nice'. Then the shepard noticed us, flew to his feet, and lunged out into the road barking and running straight at us. I downshifted to start sprinting, and got out 'DOGS!!!' as a pickup crested the hill on the same side of the road and on a direct trajectory with the dog. I saw that split second where the dog saw the truck, hesitated, thought 'F**K!' and then *CRACK!!* (not 'wham', not 'whump', but 'crack' is the sound a pick up going about 55 mph makes when it hit a 70+ lb german shepard on a back road in GA). Junior missed the show but heard the noise, i saw the start of it, and EddieO saw the completion and aftermath. collectively we yelled "OHMYGOD!!" over and over.

we slowed and discussed our options. my initial reaction was to go back. but what would we have done? who's to say if the black dog (which was no smaller than the shepard) was friendly? could we hike up the long drive to the house and say "hi, we just saw your dog get hit by a pick up?" more than likely three random sweaty stranger wearing lycra would get shot at in this part of the world. i don't know if the pick up stopped. i didn't hear any squeeling of brakes but maybe the driver stopped down the road a bit. all i can say is at least it was quick and painless for the dog.

shaken we continued on. as we turned onto the last stretch of road (about 15 miles left) the dark cloud that had been looming over our right shoulders in the distance was suddenly directly ahead of us with an impressive light show starting and distant rumblings of thunder. we got closer and the light show went from sudden bright glows to jagged streaks. the rumblings took on distinctive loud thunder claps. the wind picked up, the temps dropped and the rain started. we were out in the open with not so much as an abandoned shack to take shelter in. our pace picked up from a leisurely 18 mph to closer to 23 mph. the lightening got closer and the thunder got louder. all i could think was, 'we're going to die!!' and 'i'm glad i'm shorter than everyone else!!' we must have rolled through close to the center of the storm because at one point the lightening was so close we could HEAR it. *SSSSSSSSSCRACK!!* and then BOOM!!

i don't know about anyone else but i screamed and if i hadn't already been soaked to the bone i'd have probably needed to change my chamois!

we hightailed it as fast as our tired legs would carry us but the rain, thunder & wind followed us all the way back to EddieO's garage.

so, now i have 3 bikes out of commission, one dead dog on my conscience, and a pair of grey cycling sock that used to be white to remind me of what happens when you ride past road kill, see a dog get hit by a car, and finish your ride by time trialing through a violent thunderstorm.

maybe couch training isn't such a bad idea.

rt

oh, and some cool pics from the Tour de Georgia time trial (fortunately for them the weather was better, they'd swept the course of road kill, and dogs were on leashes)...

Jens Voigt

Georgie Hincappie

Cipo! (hating life. this was about mid-way up the 2-ish mile climb up Radio Hill Rd.)

Lance

and finally, the leader (at that time)

Ivan Dominguez - showing every muscle you use in cycling!
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Apr 2004

bad day indeed...

That really stinks *rt*...

I'd probably have gone back to try to tell the owner, but you're totally right...it would be a really difficult decision and going back would have probably meant having to look upon the poor beastie.

I wish people everywhere would ensure their dogs were safe and physically incapable of tangline with two tons + of steel.

Here's hoping all of your bikes make a speedy recovery...

MallieD

i worship Mr T

thanks mallie!

Quote Originally Posted by MallieD
    That really stinks *rt*...

I'd probably have gone back to try to tell the owner, but you're totally right...it would be a really difficult decision and going back would have probably meant having to look upon the poor beastie.

I wish people everywhere would ensure their dogs were safe and physically incapable of tangline with two tons + of steel.

Here's hoping all of your bikes make a speedy recovery...

MallieD
    yeah, we talked about going back but the thought of getting attacked by the other dog was a major deterrant. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that the driver stopped and tried to contact the owner of the dogs.

the weird thing is that i have ridden this loop a zillion times, and it is a commonly ridden loop especially in the winter (there is a winter ride that does the loop every sunday & commonly has 75-150 riders!) and i have NEVER seen a dog before! it's sad that owners don't make sure their dogs are safe at all times.

i've thought about giving a donation to my local SPCA....actually, what i really wanted to do was go and adopt a kitten and name it Road Kill in memory of the dog. hmmm...maybe i should name it Shepard instead. unfortunately, i don't have the time to take care of a kitten right now. one cat at home is enough!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Feb 2004
    I am so glad you didn't include pictures of road kill with your post! When you said "pics included" and then reading all that... I was getting a little worried there

You should adopt another kitten/cat. Your other one must be a little lonely... with you being out riding all the time

Apr 2004
    I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty. I could tell you really felt bad. I've had a couple dogs chase me, and I love dogs, but I know better than to test an animal I don't know.

Making a donation is probably a good idea. It will probably lighten your heart a little, and if you can't adopt another beastie (doesn't your current kitty need a friend), you'll be helping keep another animal fed and sheltered.

We're a two cat one dog family...and the only one who ever cared about the bike is the older cat. He used to follow along with me when I took walks and would follow his "dad" when he pedaled around the neighborhood.

You hear an awful lot of flak from folks about trail dogs...wonder what folks would think about orange tabby trail kitties!

Know you're from Atlanta, we're just south in Macon. Are you going to Helen?

i worship Mr T

not at all!

Quote Originally Posted by MallieD
    I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty. I could tell you really felt bad. I've had a couple dogs chase me, and I love dogs, but I know better than to test an animal I don't know.

Making a donation is probably a good idea. It will probably lighten your heart a little, and if you can't adopt another beastie (doesn't your current kitty need a friend), you'll be helping keep another animal fed and sheltered.

We're a two cat one dog family...and the only one who ever cared about the bike is the older cat. He used to follow along with me when I took walks and would follow his "dad" when he pedaled around the neighborhood.

You hear an awful lot of flak from folks about trail dogs...wonder what folks would think about orange tabby trail kitties!

Know you're from Atlanta, we're just south in Macon. Are you going to Helen?
    you didn't make me feel any guiltier at all! seriously. i like the idea of giving a donation to my SPCA but i don't know if that's the best place to give. i know a number of SPCA's have had some trouble recently and if there is a better option then maybe i will do that.

no, no friends for AN right now.

AN with bat ears.

she doesn't play well with others and i am away so often on the weekends that i wouldn't have time to get them acclimated to eachother before having to go out of town again. maybe in the fall.....but what i'd really like is to get a dog - which i really don't have time for!!

nope, no Helen for me this weekend. are you guys going to Helen? if the weather looks good i will head up to Spartanburg to do the Cane Creek series Stump Jump.....gotta defend my title from last year.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T

lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by JustDoIt
    I am so glad you didn't include pictures of road kill with your post! When you said "pics included" and then reading all that... I was getting a little worried there

You should adopt another kitten/cat. Your other one must be a little lonely... with you being out riding all the time
    hehehehehe. no, no pics of the road kill. gross!

unfortunately, AN doesn't play well with others and because i'm away so often i wouldn't have time to acclimate them to one another before having to go out of town again. i can just see coming home to a house that looks like an even bigger tornado hit it than it does now!!

rt

AN

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Apr 2004

turning this into a pet post...

She's a cutie...but you can tell she has attitude just from her eyes...

We are going to Helen. I'm not racing yet, just started riding this year and just clipped in so I have much learning curve to conquer. The husband probably won't race because he's right now into his BMX racing phase. But friends will race and we'll cheer them on.

Since you shared photos I have to. Those of us without children know our pets are doubly special don't we.

Two pics...the first is Bad News and his old pal Seamus. Seamy passed away a year and a half ago. BN is diabetic so he's no longer that fat and sassy...but it sure makes it hard to get out of town for bike trips. It's kinda hard to ask your neighbors..."by the way would you mind feeding the cats while I'm gone, and, oh yeah, can you give Bad News his insulin shot too"! Second pic is mu current baby, Puddin'. Lame name that fits him to a T. He's in my avatar in his puppy stage.

OK...now that I've bored you and anyone else reading to tears...best of luck at your race this weekend!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images