Joplin or Fuel EX 8 Women's?- Mtbr.com
    eastman

Joplin or Fuel EX 8 Women's?

anyone test ride both bikes? My wide had a nice long demo on the Joplin 29'er and really liked it. only comment was the bike felt a little twitchy at slow speeds. She's 5-2 and rode the Joplin 29'er in a small. They did not have the bike in a 27.5 to test out. thanks!

L1MEY
    I test rode both last season (I demo'd the Tallboy, but it's the same bike as the Joplin). Not back to back, but the terrain was similar. The Tallboy fit okay but didn't have enough travel for me and didn't feel very plush, despite having the sag set correctly. I also felt like the steering was slow, and it felt like it was just too big (but bear in mind at the time I was coming off a 26" bike). The Fuel felt like it was too long in the reach, but the suspension was much more to my liking. For reference, I am also 5'2", and my current ride is an Ibis HD3.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

eastman
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    I test rode both last season (I demo'd the Tallboy, but it's the same bike as the Joplin). Not back to back, but the terrain was similar. The Tallboy fit okay but didn't have enough travel for me and didn't feel very plush, despite having the sag set correctly. I also felt like the steering was slow, and it felt like it was just too big (but bear in mind at the time I was coming off a 26" bike). The Fuel felt like it was too long in the reach, but the suspension was much more to my liking. For reference, I am also 5'2", and my current ride is an Ibis HD3.

Thanks! I've heard great things about Ibis, but they're really, really hard to find here on the east, mid-atlantic area. I looked hard at the Ripley before buying my TB 3, but again, no demos, no dealers, and very few riders in this area with anything Ibis. I had an old Turner with dwlink and was really looking forward to trying a Rip.

Do you like the 27.5 vs 29'er setup for your height?

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman View Post
    Thanks! I've heard great things about Ibis, but they're really, really hard to find here on the east, mid-atlantic area. I looked hard at the Ripley before buying my TB 3, but again, no demos, no dealers, and very few riders in this area with anything Ibis. I had an old Turner with dwlink and was really looking forward to trying a Rip.

Do you like the 27.5 vs 29'er setup for your height?
    On balance I have preferred the 27.5s I have ridden compared to the 29ers. I have demo'd the Tallboy, Jeffsy 29er and Marin Wolf Ridge (these were also all last year). Out of all of them I preferred the Wolf Ridge, though I quite liked the Jeffsy. I think it has more to do with the style of bike than the wheel size per se... I went into the demo process expecting to buy an XC bike and found out I prefer a plush ride with longer travel, so I liked the Wolf Ridge (160mm each end) versus the Tallboy. Standover is definitely an issue for us vertically challenged people when riding a 29er... though I could stand over the top tube on all of them, I had to be a bit more aware of where I was putting my feet when dismounting to make sure I didn't put my foot in a dip or something, because I didn't have much clearance. The other issue is weight. It's more advantageous for a smaller rider to have a lighter bike because it's a smaller percentage of our body weight to push up hill. Generally 29ers are a bit heavier, though with careful component choice this can be mitigated. If it helps, my second choice bike was the SC Bronson, with the Liv Hail and Wolf Ridge tied for 3rd. I did demo the XS Hail and found it too small in the cockpit, kind of like I was perched on top of it.

Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Cymru am byth!
    I had a joplin and have test rode the EX 8 quite a bit. Both are great bikes. Ended up getting a Santa Cruz 5010 instead but would not regret having either of the others. Can't help with the height thing as I am almost 5' 9" so wheel size is less a thing for me. I did like the 27.5" + on the ex 8 and think they could add confidence if someone is less experienced.

eastman
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtch View Post
    I had a joplin and have test rode the EX 8 quite a bit. Both are great bikes. Ended up getting a Santa Cruz 5010 instead but would not regret having either of the others. Can't help with the height thing as I am almost 5' 9" so wheel size is less a thing for me. I did like the 27.5" + on the ex 8 and think they could add confidence if someone is less experienced.
    Thank you! did not think about the 5010 as a possible option.

eastman
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    On balance I have preferred the 27.5s I have ridden compared to the 29ers. I have demo'd the Tallboy, Jeffsy 29er and Marin Wolf Ridge (these were also all last year). Out of all of them I preferred the Wolf Ridge, though I quite liked the Jeffsy. I think it has more to do with the style of bike than the wheel size per se... I went into the demo process expecting to buy an XC bike and found out I prefer a plush ride with longer travel, so I liked the Wolf Ridge (160mm each end) versus the Tallboy. Standover is definitely an issue for us vertically challenged people when riding a 29er... though I could stand over the top tube on all of them, I had to be a bit more aware of where I was putting my feet when dismounting to make sure I didn't put my foot in a dip or something, because I didn't have much clearance. The other issue is weight. It's more advantageous for a smaller rider to have a lighter bike because it's a smaller percentage of our body weight to push up hill. Generally 29ers are a bit heavier, though with careful component choice this can be mitigated. If it helps, my second choice bike was the SC Bronson, with the Liv Hail and Wolf Ridge tied for 3rd. I did demo the XS Hail and found it too small in the cockpit, kind of like I was perched on top of it.

Thank you. Great feedback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Iím 5í2Ē and much prefer the 27.5 wheel size for my height it much more manageable in tight and technical terrain which is what I like. For my size I think the 29er platform excels only in flowy XC riding, but everything else the 27.5 feels more proportional and balanced. I have the Fuel Ex btw and itís a great bike, very stable and planted, confidence inspiring if the rider is new or new to Techy stuff. I have also ridden the 5010 and thatís also great. The 5010 feels bit more playful. But those would be better comparisons and even adding the ibis mojo to the list, all great trail bikes as compared to the Joplin in think.