How to reduce excessive bruising...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

How to reduce excessive bruising...

My wife loves to ride, wears knee pads, but even without falling she gets multiple bruises after every ride. We eat pretty darn healthy but I still suspect there's a supplement or micro nutrient that she is missing in her diet. She is not a vegetarian and has had her blood iron tested and she is not deficient
    Any advice or something she could change to make it where she bruises less easily? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    She's just bruising, without hitting anything?

I'm guessing that it's more likely she is eating something (rather than lacking something) in her diet that reduces coagulation factors...or, thins blood. Baby aspirin, turmeric, and other popular nutritional supplements can all result in blood that can get through capillary walls more easily.

The other possibility is that she has too little vitamin K, I suppose. I think it would be a good idea to talk that over with your PCP, though, as it could be a disorder of some sort if there is no apparent cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'd suggest seeing the doc as there could be a serious issue emerging-----I sense this is not just a cycling issue but she bruises easily in general ? Could be a simple thing or it could be a big issue----I'd want to know

mtbr member
    Many years ago my mother used to chuck arnica into every time i brused. I now very rarely bruse. It maybe unrelated.... worth a shot though.

9 lives
    Many people bruise easily, especially if they have pale skin ... it's more obvious but if this is a recent change you should bring it up with a physician. Simple blood work can help shed some light on whether it's a normal part of how the body reacts to injury or if there's something going on like a blood clotting deficiency. If she never noticed bruising easily before, such as if she bumped furniture, but now she's peppered with marks, bring it up with the doctor!

Having low iron or taking certain medications like ibuprofen can also make you bruise more easily, too
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    She's not particularly fair skinned, as she is Hispanic. I'm not certain if it's really a new thing, because she never really did any athletics besides walking and being in a gym.
    I'd say it just takes a light-medium bump to cause a bruise on her. I did a rough count and she currently has about 25 bruises on her legs. True story: a couple of times now in public people have been glaring at me when we're together and she is in shorts, and I think it's because they think I hit her!
    We're gonna look into some of the supplements she takes, and try to add some vitamin K as well. Will update.
    I actually suspect a vitamin C deficiency, as she doesn't consume any citrus at all.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I don't know if she's seen a PCP and there were no abnormalities found specifically to the issue of bruising, or if there are other things like nose bleeds that would also point to clotting discrepancies. If she hasn't seen a doctor for this specific issue, she should. I wouldn't take anything to mask the problem until I've found out what the diagnosis is.

Cycologist
    I agree with MSU Alum. I'm on blood thinners and went down today. I have a number of scrapes and scabs on both legs, managed to come off a pedal jumping last weekend and slammed the front of my leg into the pins on my pedal when I landed. I sometimes get random bruises that I have no idea how I got them. But nowhere near 25 bruises.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Don't worry, be happy!
    This is a different take on it... How is her body position? As a coach, I see that women who ride really "tight", knees in, hugging the saddle/frame with legs or thighs have way more bruising on theirs legs than women who ride with an athletic stance, or what we call "cowboy knees". I know when I used to ride tight I always had bruising on my thighs. Now that I have a better, more open stance, and know how to use lateral movement in my riding, bruising has gone down about 80%. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    This is a different take on it... How is her body position? As a coach, I see that women who ride really "tight", knees in, hugging the saddle/frame with legs or thighs have way more bruising on theirs legs than women who ride with an athletic stance, or what we call "cowboy knees". I know when I used to ride tight I always had bruising on my thighs. Now that I have a better, more open stance, and know how to use lateral movement in my riding, bruising has gone down about 80%. Just a thought.
    This might be the most valuable suggestion of them all. We just discussed this and she said she is definitely squeezing tightly and impacting her inner thighs constantly.
    For sure she has bruises all over her legs.

Don't worry, be happy!
    A good clinic can give her tips on a better bike stance. She might be amazed at how much more stable and confident she will feel if she can quit holding onto the bike with her legs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'll echo what formica is saying... when I was starting out, I would always have bruises all over my legs even if I didn't fall off the bike. Positioning was huge. Once I realized the proper stance, I get way less random bruises. I am a person that does seem to always have random bruises for no reason, and have had big medical workups that show I'm healthy, so sometimes people just bruise easily, but it helps when you're not squeezing the top tube to deaf!

mtbr member
    I also agree with Formica. It's amazing how many less bruises I have this year just from being better/more confident on my bike and being in a better position because of that. I was covered last year!!!