Help with Platform Pedals for my Pre-teen Daughter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Help with Platform Pedals for my Pre-teen Daughter

I'm looking for a set of pedals for my daughter. She'll be 11.5 years of age in the spring. Her shoe size is around a 6.5-ish in U.S. shoe sizes. She has a pair of Pearli riding shoes with SPD cleats. She does have a set of SPDs but, still has trouble getting out of time at times. She would like the option to ride platforms on some rides. Her Trek SuperFly 26 came with a basic platform, but they don't have very good traction.

I've been looking around on Amazon and there are plenty of options. It's hard to gauge what is good and what will suck. I don't need the best pedal in the world, but I don't something that will fail on the first rock strike. I'm not looking for an SPD/Platform combo. I feel the pedal flipping will be confusing to her. Its easy to spin on/off pedals.

We normally ride around the front range of Denver. The trails are XC style with a few rocks. She also rides Fruita 18rd.

Ideally I'ld like to find something moderately priced (not dropping big coin here) medium-ish sized, not to heavy, plastic is fine, decent bearings, good traction and fun color (purple, turquoise, or colorful but not to girly ... no hot pink).

Right now I'm leaning towards Race Face Chester.

https://www.raceface.com/products/de...chester-pedals

I would love to hear some suggestions ...

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Don't worry, be happy!
    You are correct in that combo pedals are a bad idea. The chesters look great - you don't want something real big with small feet. I run Diety myself but it's very similar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    You are correct in that combo pedals are a bad idea. The chesters look great - you don't want something real big with small feet. I run Diety myself but it's very similar.
    The Deity Compound looks similar, but I can't find a size on them. Anyone know a size?

The Chester is 110mm x 101mm.

Also the Compound looks like it has a plastic pin on the inside of the pedal. Is this the case? Do these wear or break off easily?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    I have the Chesters on my winter commuter MTB. They have decent grip and have held up great here in VT. Rusty pins from the salt, but that is just cosmetic. I had the Deity compounds when they had plastic pins (like the 2 that are left), and while tough, they were not as grippy as I like. Not sure if the size is still the same but they are a hair wider than the chesters and a bit shorter front to back, but not a huge difference. More "square" than the chesters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have been looking around and for a little more than the Chester I found the HT AN14A. I've never used HT stuff or at least that I know of.

Any thoughts on these over the Chester for a little more money.

HT AN14A
    HT

https://www.evo.com/pedals/ht-components-nano-an14a

Pedal Weight (pair) 475 g
    Size 94 X 95 X 17 mm
    Body Material aluminum extruded / CNC machined
    Spindle CNC machined cr-moly
    Pedal Bearings 2 X sealed bearings / DU bushings
    Options colors
    MSRP US$80
    Sku 102001AN14A101101
    Ean 4715872480015
    Help with Platform Pedals for my Pre-teen Daughter-ff8080815df4916f015dfed210e000df.jpg

mtbr member
    I transferred my kids to cheap amazon pinned platform pedals and while the bearings suck, for kids under 60lbs I am sure they are fine. As soon as they get heavier I will update to something like the chester or even a small aluminum platform, a high quality pedal will be used forever practically if they really get into mountain biking. Adjustable pins are nice so you can tune the feel, the pin lengths for adults are a tad aggressive for what kids weigh.

For my 8 year old daughter we got her some Vans, and that made a huge difference vs. sneakers, more so than quality of the pedals. I also make both my kids wear, at minimum, shin guards (soccer ones are great and cheap and readily available in kids sizes), to prevent the inevitable pedal to shin strike that can shut down a ride instantly. Best investments I have spent on her bike and her brother's, next to actual off road capable tires.