Help me pick between these hardtails please??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8

    Help me pick between these hardtails please??

    Hey guys,

    My girlfriend and I are both new to MTB. I just ordered my Fathom 1 27.5 today and I'm trying to help my gf pick a bike. We have it down to 3 I think...

    LIV Tempt 1
    Trek Roscoe 7 women's
    Trek x-caliber 7 27.5

    We are trying to keep around or below 1000

    Our needs are for a good all rounder but something we can take to the trails after we get some experience. The X-caliber 7 is XC setup, is it still capable of trail riding?

    Oh and my girlfriend is 5'5"


    I hope I provided enough info so you guys can help us out.

    Thanks in advance,

    Shane

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    462
    Assuming I'm looking at the right bikes (links would help). the X-Caliber has the lowest level of components, so with your budget, I'd skip that. I'm actually surprised at how low level the components are given the list price.

    Between the Liv and Roscoe, there are pros and cons to each one. The Liv has an air shock so a bit better than the coil Judy on the Roscoe. The Roscoe is a 1x10 and the Liv is a 2x10, but would be easy to convert to 1x10 if that's what she prefers. The rest of the specs are basically the same (Deore, FSA, Shimano M315 brakes). I'd personally choose the Liv, but if your girlfriend prefers the Roscoe, then I'd go with it :-)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    Assuming I'm looking at the right bikes (links would help). the X-Caliber has the lowest level of components, so with your budget, I'd skip that. I'm actually surprised at how low level the components are given the list price.

    Between the Liv and Roscoe, there are pros and cons to each one. The Liv has an air shock so a bit better than the coil Judy on the Roscoe. The Roscoe is a 1x10 and the Liv is a 2x10, but would be easy to convert to 1x10 if that's what she prefers. The rest of the specs are basically the same (Deore, FSA, Shimano M315 brakes). I'd personally choose the Liv, but if your girlfriend prefers the Roscoe, then I'd go with it :-)
    @sparkman999 thanks for your reply. Sorry, never thought of including the links, here they are;

    Tempt 1
    https://www.liv-cycling.com/ie/tempt-1-2018

    Roscoe 8
    https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/b...omens/p/21682/

    I won't include the X-caliber as you've helped me rule that out.


    Given that the Liv is 200 cheaper than the Roscoe and the low cost of converting to a 1x if/when the need arises as apposed to upgrading the fork I think we will go with that one.
    You've been very helpful, thanks again

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    462
    You're welcome. In the first post you mentioned the Roscoe 7, so my comments were based in it. In your last post you mention the Roscoe 8, which has better specs. It is a 1x11 with a better fork and a SRAM drive-train instead of Shimano. Between the Roscoe 8 and the Liv, I'd probably pick the Roscoe if the price difference was no issue, but if the 200 do matter, the Liv is a great choice.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8
    Sorry, my bad. I even have myself confused with all the bikes we have been looking at!! We had looked at the 7 and the 8.
    The Roscoe 8 would really push us over budget as initially we set out to spend around 800. I can get the Liv for 900, and the Roscoe for around 1100 so only if there were major plus' for the Roscoe 8 would we go for that.
    Once the Liv is capable of some of the trails my Fathom is capable of I think we should go for that. I'll be more adventurous on the trails as I also do motocross but I'd like if my gf can take on some mild trails with me as we gain experience and confidence.


    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    519
    Seems to me the main difference is that the Roscoe is 27.5+ which IMO would make that one better for trails and less desirable if the bike is going to be used as an all-arounder that sees considerable time on the roads.

  7. #7
    L1MEY
    Reputation: mahgnillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,487
    Go with the Roscoe 8 if you can swing the extra cash, it's totally worth it. The Roscoe comes with 2.8" tyres which are a game changer for new riders as they really inspire confidence. It also has a dropper post which is pretty much essential (I use mine every time I go downhill or tackle any kind of obstacle), and a 1x drivetrain which makes things less complicated and weighs less. The Liv isn't a bad bike, but IMO you get a whole lot for your extra 200.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for all your replies guys, I think I'm going to order the Tempt 1. The Roscoe 8 is really going over budget. We were originally quite happy with the X-caliber 7 so the Tempt 1 is a nice step up. Thanks again for all your help

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,964
    Quote Originally Posted by shanethegriff View Post
    Thanks for all your replies guys, I think I'm going to order the Tempt 1. The Roscoe 8 is really going over budget. We were originally quite happy with the X-caliber 7 so the Tempt 1 is a nice step up. Thanks again for all your help

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Take your dropper and put it on her bike!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Take your dropper and put it on her bike!
    Haha I'll think about it!!
    I was only thinking last night though that any parts I may upgrade, she can have my compatible old stock

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,964
    Quote Originally Posted by shanethegriff View Post
    Haha I'll think about it!!
    I was only thinking last night though that any parts I may upgrade, she can have my compatible old stock

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'm late to the discussion, but the dropper is essential.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8
    How soon do you think it would be necessary for a complete beginner to need one as an essential piece of kit?
    I know everyone picks things up at different a pace but what kind of trails do you feel the dropper is "essential"?

    It's possible that my girlfriend will just come for rides around the local park with me but I want to get her a bike that at least has some potential if she takes a fancy to going further...

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Yeah, I'm late to the discussion, but the dropper is essential.
    (forgot to quote you in my last reply)



    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    L1MEY
    Reputation: mahgnillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by shanethegriff View Post
    How soon do you think it would be necessary for a complete beginner to need one as an essential piece of kit?
    I know everyone picks things up at different a pace but what kind of trails do you feel the dropper is "essential"?

    It's possible that my girlfriend will just come for rides around the local park with me but I want to get her a bike that at least has some potential if she takes a fancy to going further...

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    It depends... I took two beginners (my sister and her friend) out mountain biking for the first time, and they were completely different riders. One of them nailed the gear changes and dropper within a few minutes, the other had a harder time with coordinating those things and didn't really click with the dropper. IMO any trail that isn't flat is dropper worthy... it's the first upgrade I would buy.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,964
    My lovely bride says, "immediately". She started at age 58 and says if it were not for dropper posts, she wouldn't be riding today (7 years later).

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8
    Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Went with the Tempt 1 and I'll add a dropper post once we start hitting some trails
    The Fathom and the Temp will both arrive during the week, can't wait!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2019, 08:02 PM
  2. Pick one between these two? Bianchi 2015 or Trinx X1 2017
    By CurrentlyBikeless in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2018, 05:57 PM
  3. Which bike stand would you all pick between these three?
    By garman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-30-2016, 11:15 AM
  4. Pick between these 2 AM rigs, Pics inside. Force vs Enduro
    By ihaveagibsonsg in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM
  5. If you had to choose between these two hardtails...
    By judasgoat in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.