For Fuel EX8 owners...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Deviant
    Reputation: Weaponized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    229

    For Fuel EX8 owners...

    Do any of you ladies own a Fuel EX8? I'm thinking of getting the wife one for her B-day and would like to hear your thoughts on it.

    Any regrets/buyers remorse?
    Any sizing issues?
    Performance/maintenance issues?
    Is there a better bang-for-the-buck option in this price range? ($3300-ish)

    She's 5'5" and around 120 lbs so size info would be helpful. Already spoke with a local dealer about sizing and he thought 17.5. Does this sound about right?

    Appreciate any help.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    959
    there are long threads for the 2017 and 2018 versions---look at those.

    Be VERY careful with size----many folks have ended up with Trek's that they know feel are too small.

    But the EX8 is a very tough value to beat---thinking of one myself

  3. #3
    Deviant
    Reputation: Weaponized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    there are long threads for the 2017 and 2018 versions---look at those.

    Be VERY careful with size----many folks have ended up with Trek's that they know feel are too small.

    But the EX8 is a very tough value to beat---thinking of one myself
    Yeah I saw those threads but they were 10 miles long I'm trying to get a female perspective that owns one or tried out different sizes

    Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    959
    I always feel these sizing threads generate opinions that are always inconsistent-----need to go ride the bike--for example I am 6 foot and get no end of large or XL advice to no real conclusion.

    In that vain my sister who is a very good Santa Cruz area rider is riding a 17.5 and she is 5.9 and never ever comments on the bike and how it fits--

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    26
    Iím on the fuel ex, 5í2Ē and on the 15.5 and it fits me well. But at 5í5Ē I think she should probably be good on a 17.5, A friend of mine is also on the same bike and size and sheís 5í3.5Ē and honestly I think if she were a smidge taller she would need to go to a bigger size. But great bike, it feels super planted so very confidence inspiring and a real blast to ride.

  6. #6
    Deviant
    Reputation: Weaponized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    I always feel these sizing threads generate opinions that are always inconsistent-----need to go ride the bike--for example I am 6 foot and get no end of large or XL advice to no real conclusion.

    In that vain my sister who is a very good Santa Cruz area rider is riding a 17.5 and she is 5.9 and never ever comments on the bike and how it fits--
    No doubt but local dealers don't keep them in stock so this is helpful info. Between published specs, measurements off her current bike (rock hopper), and existing owner reports I should be able to pick a size less blindly. No one really stocks many woman's sizes. I even had to order her rockhopper and return it for a different size, so at this point I'd rather hear from the females that ride them than some guy in a bike shop.

    Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Deviant
    Reputation: Weaponized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    I always feel these sizing threads generate opinions that are always inconsistent-----need to go ride the bike--for example I am 6 foot and get no end of large or XL advice to no real conclusion.

    In that vain my sister who is a very good Santa Cruz area rider is riding a 17.5 and she is 5.9 and never ever comments on the bike and how it fits--
    Could you find out the seat height with the dropper fully collapsed? I read a review on the Trek site and this was one of the complaints. The reviewer had to remove the dropper on a 14" model and swap to a rigid post because it wouldn't lower far enough.

  8. #8
    Deviant
    Reputation: Weaponized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
    Iím on the fuel ex, 5í2Ē and on the 15.5 and it fits me well. But at 5í5Ē I think she should probably be good on a 17.5, A friend of mine is also on the same bike and size and sheís 5í3.5Ē and honestly I think if she were a smidge taller she would need to go to a bigger size. But great bike, it feels super planted so very confidence inspiring and a real blast to ride.
    What is your seat height with the dropper collapsed?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    26
    Well I donít use the stock saddle or dropper in it but with my dropper all the way in and dropper down, itís approximately 52.7cm from the middle of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle. With my dropper extended its 77.8 cm. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by maddchase; 01-26-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Neglected to add more info

  10. #10
    Deviant
    Reputation: Weaponized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
    Well I donít use the stock saddle or dropper in it but with my dropper all the way in and dropper down, itís approximately 52.7cm from the middle of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle. With my dropper extended its 77.8 cm. Hope that helps.
    Very helpful thanks. I know from experience that if her feet can't touch the ground she would not be happy with it. The BB height on the 17.5 is actually slightly lower then the 15.5

    Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    26
    The standover height of the 17.5 is better also. I canít flat foot the 15.5, but with the 17.5 itís possible, but it hasnít caused me much trouble I never straddle the bike with both feet on the ground anyways, literally only when I saw the bike for the first time and tried it out.

  12. #12
    Deviant
    Reputation: Weaponized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
    The standover height of the 17.5 is better also. I canít flat foot the 15.5, but with the 17.5 itís possible, but it hasnít caused me much trouble I never straddle the bike with both feet on the ground anyways, literally only when I saw the bike for the first time and tried it out.
    Yeah standover should be a hair less then her rockhopper. I think this is the bike and I'm probably going to order it

    Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. 2018 fuel ex8 or 2017 fuel ex 9
    By Bamaguy80 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-10-2017, 02:54 PM
  2. 2014 Fuel EX8 or 2015 Fuel ex8
    By devnull in forum Trek
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-11-2015, 09:33 AM
  3. '09 Trek Fuel ex8 or '13 fuel ex7
    By adippydoo in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 05:53 PM
  4. Used Fuel EX9 2011 vs. new Fuel EX8 2012
    By fuzzyBuzz in forum Trek
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 11:43 PM
  5. Trek Fuel 90 cracked, getting Fuel EX8 replacement
    By Lysdexia in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.