Foot position- Mtbr.com

Thread: Foot position

always licking the glass

Foot position

Yesterday, I watched my coach do amazing things on a pump track, like jump and manual.

And I watched his heels: he was able to drop them quite forcefully to get that pop and whip himself around the corners.

So I asked him about foot position. And as an old school BMXer, he told me that he rides with the balls of his feet on the pedals.

For me, Iíve been riding mid foot. Been told varying things about different foot positions, and I found that jumping mid foot was killing my arches and introducing some unfun pain.

I took off the catalyst pedals and went back to my straitline de factos. Today, I rode on the balls of my feet instead of the arch.

Wow. This was enlightening. I can whip myself around berms, pump better (still working on the timing), jump with more control (still working on the comfort), and drops feel more smooth.

Iím thinking that the mid foot really locked out my ankles, and put some pressure on my knees and hips. Itíll be interesting to see how this translates on the trail and on the big bike.

Iím still working on stretching out my calves, but itís amazing how something as simple as foot position can change everything.

Last edited by stripes; 04-01-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice! I do't have those skills but definitely am a ball of foot pedaler.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^Nice! I do't have those skills but definitely am a ball of foot pedaler.
    Well, Iím trying to be able to keep that position but it may have caused some injury to my left foot :/ I have to go back to PT next week for my feet. I think the hyper aggressive orthodics put some issues in my left foot that I have some pain I need to get addressed.

I have to get some strengthening back in my ankles and increase mobility but my goal is to get back there.

always licking the glass
    So I lied. With the right pedals for me, I can push off with the ball of the foot. I still have to go to PT and figure out my foot issues, but having on the Catalyst pedals with the longer pins make a big difference in getting height and throwing the bike around confidently.