first snow ride of the season (Maine)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

first snow ride of the season (Maine)

I went out for a ride this morning before class. I managed to get out the door by 7 and on the trail not long after that. It was 8 degrees when I started riding.

It has been snowing in the mountains for a month or two, but this is the first for the year in Orono. I think it will melt tomorrow, but I will need to put on the studded tires soon.

It was a short, but very enjoyable ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands... ~Ann Strong 1895

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have fun.

My studs went on three weeks ago.

Freeriding Feline

Nice

Wow, that's dedication. It's tough to get out there when it's that cold, but once you got out I bet you were glad you went!
    Great pics, thanks for the inspiration.
    KAT
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Awesome!!

Feb 2008
    Beautiful pics!! I had my first snow ride (in southeast Michigan) today! 33 degrees and soooo worth it!

Dec 2008
    this is so beautiful i love the bike

MTBR Member
    I am assuming you go to UMO, go Black Bears. Nice photos...can't really get any snow riding in here, it looks like a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    As soon as there is snow on the ground my mind turns to ski mode but nice pics!

Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We went riding a week again and it was 28...had a great time. 8 Degrees is a little insane I think though. ; )

Nov 2008
    How bad is it w/o the studs?

mtbr member
    Last winter a friend of mine and I were tired of the trainer, so when it was cold enough (5 degrees) and the trails were frozen stiff, we headed out to ride on the snowmobile trails. It was sunny, and trust me that helps so much. But we headed out with the intention of a 30 mile ride through the snow. It was a loop around in the middle of nowhere. It was really amazing except when I fell through the ice and got both of my feet wet at mile 4 or 5. I was wearing some neoprene socks, but I am incredible stubborn and so I kept riding. The bad part was actually when my water froze and all my food as well. At about mile 21, we came to a river that unfortunately was not frozen over and we could not cross it. So we had to ride all the way back. When the sun set and I could not see anything except the trail being a lighter shade of gray than the black trees around me, I started to get worried. I could no longer feel anything but my chest I tried to remember what the first stages of hypothermia were... which was a bad sign in itself. But with the encouragement from my friend that we were not far from his house we made it back after a 40 mile ride and I didn't even loose any toes! - Now how is that for insane?

My friend has been already telling me when the snow gets compact enough that we should go out again. I may invest in some winter riding boots first. But I think this year when I get the urge to go outside in the cold I will grab my snowshoes or skis!! Still, short rides are still very enjoyable in the winter! I also now ride with a light and gps and a lot of emergency gear in the winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    I am assuming you go to UMO, go Black Bears.

Yeah, I go to UMO. Last year there... hopefully! Did you go to Orono?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    [QUOTE=AnnaBanana]Last winter a friend of mine and I were tired of the trainer, so when it was cold enough (5 degrees) and the trails were frozen stiff, we headed out to ride on the snowmobile trails. It was sunny, and trust me that helps so much. But we headed out with the intention of a 30 mile ride through the snow. It was a loop around in the middle of nowhere. It was really amazing except when I fell through the ice and got both of my feet wet at mile 4 or 5. I was wearing some neoprene socks, but I am incredible stubborn and so I kept riding. The bad part was actually when my water froze and all my food as well. At about mile 21, we came to a river that unfortunately was not frozen over and we could not cross it. So we had to ride all the way back. When the sun set and I could not see anything except the trail being a lighter shade of gray than the black trees around me, I started to get worried. I could no longer feel anything but my chest I tried to remember what the first stages of hypothermia were... which was a bad sign in itself. But with the encouragement from my friend that we were not far from his house we made it back after a 40 mile ride and I didn't even loose any toes! - Now how is that for insane?

lol...I was reading your post and thinking "man you have to buck up". If you can ride in the cold, so can I. But if you call yourself insane...all bets are off. I think when it gets to about...ummm, 30...we will ride. Santa brought my wife a 705 and so far all we have done is run with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoast
    Well... Its safer with the studs! If there isn't a whole lotta ice and just mostly snow, then I can get away with normal tires and just work on balancing. But without the studs I can not really lean into the turns, and so if I want to ride faster without worrying about crashing then I need the studs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray_coach
    lol...I was reading your post and thinking "man you have to buck up". If you can ride in the cold, so can I. But if you call yourself insane...all bets are off. I think when it gets to about...ummm, 30...we will ride. Santa brought my wife a 705 and so far all we have done is run with it.
    Ha! Don't get me wrong... I will more than likely do many rides out on the snowmobile trails this year. And even if there is no snow, when the single track trails are frozen solid they make for some very fast riding! And even then, no matter what the temp or weather I always commute on my road bike to school!

As soon as I can afford it I want to get a snow bike!!

This was last winter on my hardtail:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray_coach
    lol...I was reading your post and thinking "man you have to buck up". If you can ride in the cold, so can I.
    Yea, I was just doing the same...
    We've had some freak weather over here in MI. Blizards followed up by 60+ a few days later. It really jacked our trails up earlier this week, of course those were my days off. Now on the MI board (mmba), they are saying the fresh snow we got has layered the ice nicely but I couldn't help but look at our current temp of a nippy 8 degrees and think yeeeaaaaa, no. Then I come on here and read this thread...

...and Anna, that is a very cool pic!

local trails rider
    That totally depends...
    Studs are the greatest thing when there is smooth ice or very hard packed snow.
    If the snow is the right consistency, all trails turn into the best hard pack you can find.

In the pics, it looks like any tyre with some tread might work fine. I'd hit it on the worn Racing Ralphs I have on one bike, although the softer spots might be better with the fresh Mountain Kings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    In the pics, it looks like any tyre with some tread might work fine. I'd hit it on the worn Racing Ralphs I have on one bike, although the softer spots might be better with the fresh Mountain Kings.
    Absolutely. Its all up to the rider's preference.

This year I still have my nic and fat albert on, but the past few days there has been a lot of melting. Now that it froze again there is a lot of ice, if not all ice, so I am putting on the studs finally. I really hate falling on my hip if I can avoid it! I have a friend though who rode all last winter with his michelin AT and a dry in the rear... he said he liked it. Even when he started sliding down one hill sideways on his bike and screaming at the top of his lungs. So to each their own. He said he had fun and thats all that matters.

Rock any tire you want!!! I just like studs. When the snow gets too deep thats when a snow bike is needed! Or skis.

Rides with Scissors
    Studs would have allowed me to ride along the creek banks instead of in the creek (yep, it's an OLD shot, but I haven't gotten any smrtr ). All I could think of during that section was "don't fall, don't fall, don't fall!"

There used to be some nifty steps and stuff to play on along that 4x4 road, but the DNR came out and flattened it all... Jerks!
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaBanana
    Yeah, I go to UMO. Last year there... hopefully! Did you go to Orono?
    No, I didn't go to UMO, but my parents grew up in Maine and both went there. I love the area, but unfortunately I haven't been up in years. I miss the lobstah...

Members who have read this thread: 0