mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Enduro bike for 5'1" strong 50 y.o.

Please forget that I mentioned her age. My wife is a strong and fearless rider. She's gotten very good over the last few years and I think she's at the point where she'll need a 2-bike setup: a short-travel (120) nimble Trail Bike plus a long-travel Enduro bike. She'll be riding a size XS.

The more difficult decision has to do with the Enduro bike. She's a good trail basher and not afraid of steep tech stuff. She will do some park days and some up-pedal gnarly runs as well. She just doesn't do big jumps.

Normally that would mean getting a 170mm travel bike, but in her case I'm wondering if a light 150 travel bike with a slack head angle (65) wouldn't be a better choice (like the Stumpjumper Comp Carbon). My thinking is that at her size/weight, the 150 bike would be just the same as a 170 for a heavier person. Plus, for the up-pedals, a 170mm travel bike with a big build would simply kill her.

Anyone with experience with this?

Problem we have is that it's very difficult to find XS bikes to demo, so your opinions/experiences are very important to her.

Thanks!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Why diminish the age? There are a lot of 50-something strong women out there. Sheshould wear it with pride. It in no way takes away from her desire to crush the enduro. I suggest looking at the Liv XS Intrigue which is a very capable 150mm bike and avail in carbon. I admit, I am on my second Intrigue so I may be biases. Liv builds for women. 57 here btw. and quite a few of us on this board.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Why diminish the age? There are a lot of 50-something strong women out there. Sheshould wear it with pride. It in no way takes away from her desire to crush the enduro. I suggest looking at the Liv XS Intrigue which is a very capable 150mm bike and avail in carbon. I admit, I am on my second Intrigue so I may be biases. Liv builds for women. 57 here btw. and quite a few of us on this board.
    Coincidently, she is currently on the old 2016 Intrigue. Granted it's a completely different bike now with it's slacker HA (66.5 vs 68) and slightly more travel (140/150 vs 140/140). Yet I'm under the impression that she would be limited.

Actually if she goes with a long travel (170) bike, the Liv Hail is right at the top of the list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I just bought m a Liv Pique2 for my GF, she is 4'10", 90lbs soaking wet, the Liv suspension is very compliant and boosts her confidence