A cycling race in Belgium was delayed because a woman almost caught the male riders- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

A cycling race in Belgium was delayed because a woman almost caught the male riders

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I also saw this----does it not seem they should have stopped the men ? Mess up the women because the men were too slow.....sigh. I bet if they stopped the men the grief they would get would ensure it never took place again. Or just let the women catch and ride by----how fun would that have been.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    I also saw this----does it not seem they should have stopped the men ? Mess up the women because the men were too slow.....sigh. I bet if they stopped the men the grief they would get would ensure it never took place again. Or just let the women catch and ride by----how fun would that have been.
    I agree, the women were faster, they should have stopped the men so it wouldn't mess up the women. The women were really on it and it's a shame to break their momentum.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Well I don't know how you stop the men. Were the men in single peloton? How do you stop them and get the roads clear for the Women to roll through? The only two options they had were to let the lead woman get in the pack of the men which would have given her and edge over everyone else in her field since she probably would have drafted them. I know I would have. That would have tainted the women's race. What the did choose to do was to stop and create a gap. That of course impacted the flow of the break so I was not a great option either, but lesser of evils I guess. The right answer however is probably a larger time gap. But if you anticipate the men going faster then you don't need much of a gap. Now if the men were taking it easy for a while and this one woman was charging for a break away then these things can happen. Just tells me you can't always assume women are slower. You need to factor in tactics too when setting a gap. I have seen for plenty of Women's Mtn bike races were the women's field starts 10 min back, but the top women merge into the back of end of the men. At least in Mtn bike I don't see that influencing the race as much on a road race stage.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    What happen here is the female rider went all out fron the start. So sure she caught the men cause they were managing their watts. She finished at least 54th, maybe even further back. She never had a chance to win, even being so far ahead of the other ladies.

mtbr member
    I'd agree with some of the responses. That headline is clickbait. This is not a narrative of female repression but of poor planning and that's it. Sucks for the female racers for sure but what other options were there?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Well I don't know how you stop the men. Were the men in single peloton? How do you stop them and get the roads clear for the Women to roll through? The only two options they had were to let the lead woman get in the pack of the men which would have given her and edge over everyone else in her field since she probably would have drafted them. I know I would have. That would have tainted the women's race. What the did choose to do was to stop and create a gap. That of course impacted the flow of the break so I was not a great option either, but lesser of evils I guess. The right answer however is probably a larger time gap. But if you anticipate the men going faster then you don't need much of a gap. Now if the men were taking it easy for a while and this one woman was charging for a break away then these things can happen. Just tells me you can't always assume women are slower. You need to factor in tactics too when setting a gap. I have seen for plenty of Women's Mtn bike races were the women's field starts 10 min back, but the top women merge into the back of end of the men. At least in Mtn bike I don't see that influencing the race as much on a road race stage.
    In MTB it is worse, not better. On the road the pack can catch the earlier classes and all draft if they really have the legs to close the gap like the leader did. She could filter the peloton and move up if she still had the gas. In MTB if classes that were supposed to be timed to be separate the leader is at much more of a disadvantage if the race is on single track because the passing opportunities are much less likely.

I don't know about the race in the story, but unless it was a safety issue I think they should have just let it roll. It really isn't about the 1st flyer that sprinted up to the next group, it is the person that stops for a stopped race in 34th position and now has fresh legs to finish a much shorter race. The whole situation rewarded the riders that failed to use proper strategy and didn't properly pace.

I agree the whole thing stinks of "click bait", and that makes me wonder what the policies and rules involving this sort of thing were from the start.

mtbr member
    She attacked early; could she have held her lead? Maybe, maybe not. But we don't slam men road racers who attack early then finish towards the back of the pack... Which almost always happens when they're caught with a decent amount of mileage left to go. :eyeroll:

It sucks that they forced her to stop and lose all that momentum.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I'd agree with some of the responses. That headline is clickbait. This is not a narrative of female repression but of poor planning and that's it. Sucks for the female racers for sure but what other options were there?
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I agree the whole thing stinks of "click bait", and that makes me wonder what the policies and rules involving this sort of thing were from the start.
    Clickbait, really? Because the Washington Post is known for that? Look again, "A cycling race in Belgium was delayed because a woman almost caught the male riders" - it is just a true statement, in other words, "news".

mtbr member
    I didn't realize where this was posted and will respectfully show myself out the door. Apologies.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.