Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

buying a bike for my wife

745 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  trailwoman 
#1 ·
Good evening ladies!
I know I am interloping but I am looking for some help in choosing a bike. I am looking at a Santa Cruz Juliana or a Fisher Cake 3 GS. I would appreciate any help!
Thanks
JB

#2 ·
joizyboy said:
Good evening ladies!
I know I am interloping but I am looking for some help in choosing a bike. I am looking at a Santa Cruz Juliana or a Fisher Cake 3 GS. I would appreciate any help!
Thanks
JB
what does your wife want? whatever it is, that's the one you should go with.

rt

#3 ·
Not Sure!

That's the problem-We have been poking around some shops and looking at different bikes. She seems to like both. Since it is going to be a surprise (she figures there was no way we could afford a new bike, but that's part of my surprise!) She's about 5'4' and riding a Trek 6000 16.5" but that's a little stretchy for her. That's why I like the idea of the Juliana or Fisher GS in women's specific geometry. I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who has ridden either one of these bikes.
Thanks
JB

#5 ·
joizyboy said:
Good evening ladies!
Thanks
JB
Different twist on this from another hubby looking for advise: We just had a baby and wife is looking forward to spring and getting some excersize. She is active, and really enjoys swimming (we live on the water), road biking, and mtn biking to a degree. She rides a late 90s trek 7000 that she likes (LX,XT aluminum, Judy fork). I have offered to upgrade the frame to FS many times, but she says 'No, I like my bike, and I am not like you that I always want a new bike!'. Like I said, she is fit, but tentative when it comes to offroad. Uses clipless shoes and has enough miles that I have changed the brake pads and drivetrain a few times now. She doesnt come offroad much locally, but we do a few trips a year, like Kingdom Trails or something and she then rides with me. If we want a day of riding together, we usually explore on the road (last trip was Martha's Vineyard tour).
I just think she will be more comfortable on an FS (and therefore more enjoyable and happy), but I don't want to force it on her or make her feel obligated to ride or anything.
I did discuss it with her, and she doesnt really crave a new expensive frame and fork. But I *think* she will enjoy it. Something like a SC Juliana. My buddy bought his wife, who has a similar attitude about riding, a Trek Fuel that has been gathering dust.

I guess I am looking for ways of helping with the decision. Things to ask her, etc. She doesnt go riding by herself. She really only enjoys riding with me and some other friends. And she doesnt want to race or even go on huge group rides, doesnt like the pressure of someone behind her.

SHe has asked for a new windsurfing board... so that might take precendent. I got her cross top levers for the road/touring bike for Christmas.

Phew, that was long. I just read a bunch of that 'how cool is your spouse' thread in Passion. I really think that my wife would love riding under the right conditions and it could be a lot of fun. I just dont want to force anything and then end up having her hate it.

#6 ·
jh_on_the_cape said:
Different twist on this from another hubby looking for advise: We just had a baby and wife is looking forward to spring and getting some excersize. She is active, and really enjoys swimming (we live on the water), road biking, and mtn biking to a degree. She rides a late 90s trek 7000 that she likes (LX,XT aluminum, Judy fork). I have offered to upgrade the frame to FS many times, but she says 'No, I like my bike, and I am not like you that I always want a new bike!'. Like I said, she is fit, but tentative when it comes to offroad. Uses clipless shoes and has enough miles that I have changed the brake pads and drivetrain a few times now. She doesnt come offroad much locally, but we do a few trips a year, like Kingdom Trails or something and she then rides with me. If we want a day of riding together, we usually explore on the road (last trip was Martha's Vineyard tour).
I just think she will be more comfortable on an FS (and therefore more enjoyable and happy), but I don't want to force it on her or make her feel obligated to ride or anything.
I did discuss it with her, and she doesnt really crave a new expensive frame and fork. But I *think* she will enjoy it. Something like a SC Juliana. My buddy bought his wife, who has a similar attitude about riding, a Trek Fuel that has been gathering dust.

I guess I am looking for ways of helping with the decision. Things to ask her, etc. She doesnt go riding by herself. She really only enjoys riding with me and some other friends. And she doesnt want to race or even go on huge group rides, doesnt like the pressure of someone behind her.

SHe has asked for a new windsurfing board... so that might take precendent. I got her cross top levers for the road/touring bike for Christmas.

Phew, that was long. I just read a bunch of that 'how cool is your spouse' thread in Passion. I really think that my wife would love riding under the right conditions and it could be a lot of fun. I just dont want to force anything and then end up having her hate it.
If she likes her existing bike, then I wouldn't buy her another one unless she specifically wants it. I can kinda relate to this in that my hubby, who is really into computers, always wants to get me computer upgrades as gifts. My brother-in-law is just the same. It's not that I don't appreciate them, or that I don't like having my computer upgraded, it's just that there are other things I'd rather have. This year when my hubby asked me what I would like for Christmas, I gave him a list of things I wouldn't like and left the rest to him ;)

If she's expressed more interest in a new windsurfing board than a new MTB, I'd go for that. Maybe you could go to a bike shop together and she could try out a few new bikes just for fun... once she's felt the difference between her bike and a new bike, she might change her mind. Or maybe you could get her a Thudbuster for her hardtail and see if she likes having a bit more suspension. Either way, don't buy her a new bike because you think she ought to have it, buy it because she wants it, otherwise it will end up just like you buddy's wife's bike: in the garage covered in dust.

- Jen.

#7 ·
mahgnillig said:
If she likes her existing bike, then I wouldn't buy her another one unless she specifically wants it. I can kinda relate to this in that my hubby, who is really into computers, always wants to get me computer upgrades as gifts. My brother-in-law is just the same. It's not that I don't appreciate them, or that I don't like having my computer upgraded, it's just that there are other things I'd rather have. This year when my hubby asked me what I would like for Christmas, I gave him a list of things I wouldn't like and left the rest to him ;)

If she's expressed more interest in a new windsurfing board than a new MTB, I'd go for that. Maybe you could go to a bike shop together and she could try out a few new bikes just for fun... once she's felt the difference between her bike and a new bike, she might change her mind. Or maybe you could get her a Thudbuster for her hardtail and see if she likes having a bit more suspension. Either way, don't buy her a new bike because you think she ought to have it, buy it because she wants it, otherwise it will end up just like you buddy's wife's bike: in the garage covered in dust.

- Jen.
hhm... thanks. the computer analogy makes sense... Maybe next vacation we can rent FSers... then she can say what she likes.

#8 ·
Joizyboy -- I have the Cake 2 GS and love it. That being said, if you have the extra $$, go for the Santa Cruz Juliana. It just make sense. I guess it's like buying the VW or the Audi -- the VW is fun and will get you where you're going but the Audi will pin your ears back for just a bit more moola. :cool:

Either way, you're a nice man for buying your wife a bike! Happy Holidays!

#9 ·
Brendan said:
That's the problem-We have been poking around some shops and looking at different bikes. She seems to like both. Since it is going to be a surprise (she figures there was no way we could afford a new bike, but that's part of my surprise!) She's about 5'4' and riding a Trek 6000 16.5" but that's a little stretchy for her. That's why I like the idea of the Juliana or Fisher GS in women's specific geometry. I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who has ridden either one of these bikes.
Thanks
JB
Some thoughts about your options:

I owned a Fisher hardtail as my first bike and I'm currently on a Juliana SL for the past 3 seasons. I ride a lot and am a solid intermediate level rider. I've test ridden the Cake although not a GS version. The test ride was a trail ride not a parking lot ride. And I was allowed to adjust anything and everything (suspension, levers, etc) and take the bike out for several loops on trails that I'm familiar with. My impressions are these:

Fishers are known as "stretched out" bikes and I've always felt stretched out on them. If your wife's Trek is too long in the top tube, I'm not sure the Cake will be any better - even the GS. The Fisher web site says the Cake GS in a 17" frame has an effective top tube length of 23.4" (it only lists 13" and 17" framed GS?). The Juliana comes in three frame sizes, and according to SC's sizing chart, a medium (16") Juliana would be her size - it has an effective top tube of 21.25" - with the recommended stem length it may be slightly longer, but still quite a bit shorter than the Cake. I couldn't find the top tube specs for her current ride for comparison, but you get the idea.

Secondly, assuming a 13" Cake is WAY too small for someone 5'4", that leaves 17" as your choice. Having demo'd Cakes last fall, I found the standover to be quite tall - the 17" (small) men's Cake that I demo'd has the same standover as the 17" Cake GS - 29.3". No dropped top tube. The standover for the medium Juliana is nearly 2" shorter than the Cake. I felt a little uncomfortable on that tall of a bike, however I am just shy of 5'3" and that may not be a problem for someone a little taller.

All that said, I really liked the ride of the Cake. However, it didn't persuade me away from my Juliana. If you read my reviews and search the forums for posts where I have given feedback about the Juliana, you'll see that I've been very happy with the bike. My review is old but still adequately reflects my opinions of my Juliana. I think your wife will probably be happy with either bike, but if I had to decide all over again, I'd still go with the Juliana. Plus, they come in way cool colors ;)

Good Luck!

Lori

#10 ·
True -- GF bikes do have different geometry -- longer top tubes, which is very cool if you have short legs and a longer torso (like me) -- but which is unlike many women, who have longer legs, shorter torso. But be careful about shying away from the 04 Cake 2 GS or the 05 Cake 3 GS (which is the same frame) just because a 13" inch frame sounds too small for 5'4" -- that's me and it fits perfectly. I recommend www.wrenchscience.com for getting your exact measurements down so that you know which "cockpit" will work for you.

But the Juliana is waaay cool too. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.