Bike size Recomendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Bike size Recomendation

Hey all,

I am looking for a trail bike for my wide. She is fairly new to the world of cycling as a whole so she doesn't really know what she likes or is comfortable with. I'm looking at a mid level spec trail bike that she can grow into skill-wise.

I've looked at the Diamondback Lux 3 and the Liv hard tail offerings. I'd like to stick with an air fork on the front and a 1x drive train for simplicity. Thoughts?

I'm also curious about size. My wife is 5'6" with a 31" inseam. Depending on which manufacture I look at, she usually falls between the small and medium frame sizes. I''m leaning towards medium with my own experience of having a roomier cockpit being a little more confidence inspiring (when we get there).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Highly recommend hitting a local bike store and demoing some bikes. This way she can see what she likes and doesn't like. It's spring some plenty of demo days coming up to showcase new bikes being offered.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Lots of options out there and lots of posts in this forum if you want to take a read through them.

She should definitely demo them and see what feels most comfortable for her. I would say the opposite of you and that a bike on the smaller side is easier and more comfortable for a beginner than a bike that feels too big. Once she gets good and is riding more aggressively, bigger may be better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    With her inseam she'll have a short torso and should look at mediums or smalls with lower reach numbers on the geo chart. One very nice hardtail designed for his daughter is the Ibis DV9. But it still has current trail bike geo with a slack head tube angle. 67-68 depending on fork travel. 2.6" tire clearance. Reach is 397 for a Small 418 for a Medium.
    https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/dv9

Bike size Recomendation-11hans_and_lili_dv9_prototype_1310px.jpg

Compare that to a SC Chameleon.
    412 for a Small and 437 for a Medium.
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

Bike size Recomendation-111my20_garage_chameleon_bronze.jpg

You can build her bike to weigh 25lbs. or less. I'd do that to make it fun.

CRC has Nukeproof Scouts for less. Heavy.

Pinkbike Buy/Sell has some 2015-2017 Medium Carbon Trek Superfly 9.8 with 411mm reach and 69* head tube angle for cheap.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17758352/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike size Recomendation-11prod170308_petrol-blue-yellow_ne_01-1270x694.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks for the replies folks, after searching through this and other forums, I decided against ordering one online and took her to the local bike shop to sit on a few. She ended up liking the reach on the small from specialized and cannondale best. We ordered a Specialized Pitch Expert 1x and she’s really enjoying it. The spec and build quality seem really good for the money.

Now I’m on the hunt for a female oriented saddle being that it came with a lower end unisex saddle...
    "If there is no struggle, there is no progress"
    199x Sears special ->
    2014 Scott Aspect 940 ->
    2018 Diamondback Release 4C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kastevenson View Post
    Now I’m on the hunt for a female oriented saddle being that it came with a lower end unisex saddle...
    That’s so much harder to find than a good fitting bike!

Lots of trial and error. Most saddle manufacturers have a 30 day comfort guarantee. Make sure to get one from somewhere that allows this. And before giving up on a seat, try playing with the height, the angle, and the position of the seat.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Hey all,
    I think I can help you. The bike size highly depends on your age and height. You should follow some bike side chart I think this chart can help you to buy a perfect size of bike. I also give you some suggestions may it helps you.
    Height 4’11” – 5’3″ = Bike size 13 – 15 inches, Height 5’3″ – 5’7″ = Bike size 15 – 16 inches,Height 5’7″ – 5’11” = Bike size 16 – 17 inches,Height 6’0″ – 6’2″ = Bike size 17 – 19 inches
    if you want to know about women bike you can visit this site https://scooterreviewonline.com/best-bikes-for-women/. I think you can find your desire bike.
    If you want to buy a scooter you must know about the scooter. This scooter site guide help you to choose a best scooter.