Bike choices...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike choices...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Bike choices...

I am looking to finally upgrade from my 2000 Kona MuniMula. My non-negotiable requirements are: dropper post, single chainring in front, around $1500. Probably a hardtail. Could be 29", could be 27+ (more likely). I'm 5'9", 150lbs, ride XC in the PNW, roots and rocks, nothing too crazy. Contenders so far are

Specialized Fuze (feels long)
    Specialized Ruze (none around to test ride)
    Kona Big Honzo (none around to test ride. Tried the Kahuna, which feels good, but is 15mm shorter in the top tube)
    Salsa Timberjack (need to add dropper, will try next weekend)

My main concern is that the non women's specific bikes could be too long in the top tube. They feel super long. But then everything is going to feel long compared to what I'm used to...

Thoughts? Are there any bikes I'm missing? Sadly it's hard to find reviews by women :-(
    Thanks!!

always licking the glass
    Also look into Giant for that price range.

Take a look at used too. You should be able to find something.

I hear what youíre saying. Iíd love to run a website for female ridden and reviewed bikes if I can find enough writers/riders.

These are a bit out of your price range, but if you can make it work, check out Guerrila Gravity. Yes Iím a brand ambassador, so Iím a bit biased.

I have two Guerrila Gravity bikes that I love: a Pedalhead (plus or 29er hardtail, since it supports both) and a Shred Dogg, which is a 150mm powerhouse of a trail bike. You could run that with either plus or 650b tires with the Shred Dogg.

Petey also rides the Shred Dogg, and sheís sending it on that bike. Mine I use for anything from dirt jumps to trails to downhill tomorrow.

My Pedalhead is mainly my winter ride, when I have to deal with snow in the Front Range.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats on the pending upgrade! Sadly I have not ridden any of those, so I don't have any great advice. It sounds like you are already comparing the geometries on paper, and in person to the extent possible. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the "diamond stay" design on the specialized, discussed here https://www.bikemag.com/gear/first-l...-27-hardtails/ . The beauty of a hardtail are the clean lines (and also ease of cleaning), and the diamond stay kind of messes that up for me. I'm sure the functionality and engineering are sound though. Once the fit is settled, the next thing I would focus my comparison on is the forks, being such an expensive part and one that has a big impact on how they ride.

always licking the glass

Bike choices...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The beauty of a hardtail are the clean lines (and also ease of cleaning), and the diamond stay kind of messes that up for me. I'm sure the functionality and engineering are sound though. Once the fit is settled, the next thing I would focus my comparison on is the forks, being such an expensive part and one that has a big impact on how they ride.
    I agree on all this. One other thing is I canít handle the beating of a hardtail like I used to on really rocky stuff, which is why I run mine as a plus bike.

Personally Iím not a fan of womenís specific bikes but thatís a personal preference as well.

A word of warning when trying out any new suspension design or complete bike redesign for full suspension like the new specialized design: youíll be product testing it out in the wild. It might be fantastic or it may not be. Just be aware. For a hardtail itís less of a concern than a full suspension.

If youíre not in a rush, itís the end of the season soon. You might be able to find a really good deal on a slightly used full suspension with better parts and components. And a good fork is key.
    Last edited by stripes; 07-28-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Don't worry, be happy!
    The new geometry is going to feel really slack, too. More "sit up and beg" and less laid out.