attn: juliana owners- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

attn: juliana owners

[flame on]
    Here's my pet peeve with you grrls... I am sick and tired of you juliana owners telling me your bike is "the same" as a men's superlight. It's NOT THE SAME if your frame was made prior to mid 2003. Why am I disagreeing with you? Because to me, if it's the same then the componentry is the same, and the frame is made out of the same stuff,...

If you go to http://www.santacruzmtb.com/bicycles...as/juliana.asp and place your cursor over the pic of the person on the bike, you'll see it says your frame is made out of 7005Al. To me, that is NOT "the same" as the "very light and uncommonly strong 6069 aluminum alloy" used on the men's SL. Duh. Seems like a no brainer to me.
    [flame off]

SC's website still needs to be updated in regards to the juliana. I have no idea what the difference in frame material really means, nor why the change-over in mid 2003. Just wanted to throw some trivia out to the juliana folks.

Also, I have no idea what the men's SL was made of prior to mid 2003. But, the argument still holds if you're comparing an older juliana with today's SL. So, STOP saying it's the same!

mtbr platinum member

More Juliana info:

I know that the Juliana is made overseas vs. the superlite, which is made here in the states. Not sure if the different metals has anything to do with where they are made though.

On another note, I spoke to Scott at Santa Cruz about my wife's size small Juilana frame (2001) regarding the possibility of an AVA sleeve retrofit for her Float R shock. He said that it would not fit on the small due to the positioning of the shock in relation to the top tube, but the new Float 'High Volume' would work.

I was asking him about this because my wife can't seem to use all of the available travel on her standard Float R. The larger air volume of the 'High Volume' would prevent the spring rate of the air shock from ramping up during the last bit of travel and give her a little more cush.

Scott also informed me about another thing that I didn't know about the Juliana. The small and medium size frames only have around 80mm of rear travel (the frames with the 6.5 x 1.5" shocks)! The size large frame is the only size that actually has 100mm of travel because it is able to use the longer stroke 7.875 x 2.0" shock. I thought this piece of information was a little misleading, seeing how they advertise this model as 100mm of rear travel, and nowhere do they mention the shorter travel on the smaller framed models.

Anyway, the Juliana still rips, and my wife still loves it.

Just a tidbit of Juliana info to share...

-Ryan
    Last edited by bikerx40; 03-15-2004 at 06:35 PM.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Feb 2004

Just so you know...

...the Santa Cruz website is under major reconstruction and will be up and ready soon..so all the info should be a lot more correct and informative than the previous crappy website.
    And are you all boys talking in the women's lounge??
    Can't tell, but it seemed like it.....not that I care. I was just wondering.

Feb 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    The size large frame is the only size that actually has 100mm of travel because it is able to use the longer stroke 7.875 x 2.0" shock. I thought this piece of information was a little misleading, seeing how they advertise this model as 100mm of rear travel, and nowhere do they mention the shorter travel on the smaller framed models
    Jeez. That is misleading. Thanks for sharing that info, Ryan.