Advice on a "more comfortable" ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Advice on a "more comfortable" ride

Looking for advice for a bike for my wife, so I thought this would be the perfect thread.

Being that I just started riding, my wife also is interested in riding. I don't think she realized the type of riding I intended to do. However, when the trails are wide and relatively level (see attached), she really enjoys the riding. And when she enjoys it, life is better, right?

She'll never be into anything technical, but she is not afraid to try and navigate that unexpected rocky terrain. I got her an older Giant 4500 as her ride, but she's requesting something "smoother", as in suspension. She's a bit on the "tender side", maybe not getting off the seat as much as she should.

That brings me to my question. What would you advise for a budget oriented bike, full suspension, but high quality suspension components are definitely not mandatory. She won't ride anything hard. Doesn't have to necessarily have to be a woman's bike, but looking for experienced feedback.

Thanks
    Advice on a "more comfortable" ride-img_20181013_173042-large-.jpgAdvice on a "more comfortable" ride-img_20181013_171259-large-.jpgAdvice on a "more comfortable" ride-img_20180901_112950-large-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Tough one. I think one fundamental problem is that "smoothness" in her mind probably means small bump compliance, which means expensive suspension setups.

The only "reasonable" thing that might help is getting an air fork. The Manitou Markhor apparently is tailor made for replacing coil forks, comes with straight steerers, and even in 26.

And, of course, she will toughen up with continued riding without any bike mods. Finding a saddle that fits may help too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Polygon Siskiu T7/T8 is a decently priced trail bike with value components. Also, because Polygon is an Indonesian brand, their frames are more Asian fit - I ride an L sized Siskiu N9, which is in fact more of a size ML rather than a full L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    My spouse and I both ride Liv bikes. She got a 2018 Bliss 2 while I got a 2019 Tempt 3. She is just happy riding on concrete paths for right now. She'll work her way up to some very easy dirt paths but that is still some time down the road. Whereas I'm already having fun on the serious trails that she wouldn't even consider.

Best thing is head to a LBS and let her test ride some bikes. Look at seats as well.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Donít underestimate the importance of a seat that fits properly either. It can make way more of a difference in the comfort department than the cushiest suspension out there. And softer does not = better either. Have your wife go to a bike store and have her sit bones measured and a new seat recommended if her current seat doesnít match. I went from a 132 mm seat to a 145 mm one and it made a world of difference!

mtbr member
    Thanks, will try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    Donít underestimate the importance of a seat that fits properly either. It can make way more of a difference in the comfort department than the cushiest suspension out there. And softer does not = better either. Have your wife go to a bike store and have her sit bones measured and a new seat recommended if her current seat doesnít match. I went from a 132 mm seat to a 145 mm one and it made a world of difference!
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Just one more ride away from a good mood

mtbr member
    Also, if possible, get a bike that can fit larger tires and run them at a lower pressure. My lovely bride started out on really plush seats, but has settled on a quality seat, now. In her case, a version of the Selle Italia.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Learning how to ride correctly will smooth out the ride. Sitting on a MTB while riding dirt can be rough and jouncy. Get her into a clinic where she will learn how to balance on the pedals, stand on her feet and it will smooth out the ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Also, if possible, get a bike that can fit larger tires and run them at a lower pressure. My lovely bride started out on really plush seats, but has settled on a quality seat, now. In her case, a version of the Selle Italia.
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Learning how to ride correctly will smooth out the ride. Sitting on a MTB while riding dirt can be rough and jouncy. Get her into a clinic where she will learn how to balance on the pedals, stand on her feet and it will smooth out the ride.
    I like those too, thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    All of that. Plus, I'm not convinced full suspension is the answer for the type of riding she wants. So just go to shops and start test riding. That will show her what is comfortable. A higher quality hardtail with a carbon frameset may be what she wants. Hard to say without trying. If her current bike isn't dialed in, it may be harder to stand. And saddle, yes. That is likely a big issue.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Moderator Moderator
    I am seeing so many happy beginners on fatbikes, a nice air "suspension", gobs of traction, reasonably priced, low mainteance,and lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice, all very good and appreciated. We're still trying to figure it out so to make the best choice with our next step.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    Good luck with getting into this and report back on what you guys settle on.

Cheers!
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X