29er for wife? or 27.5?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

29er for wife? or 27.5?

Hi guys, my wife is 5-4 and rides well. She has been on a crappy 27.5. I'd like to get her a 29er Ripmo but am unsure of a 29er. Do you guys have any experience that you can pass along? Anyone liking or not liking the modern-not-too-long 29ers?

mtbr member
    Anyone, male of female, shorter than 5' 5" should be riding a 27.5. The End.

RAKC
    Dont know where above gets his info, but doesnt have a clue. I see kids that are 12-14 years old barely over 5ft tall at most winning regional XC on 29ers.

That said, dont try to get her on something based off your feelings. Let her try and decide what she wants. More she likes the bike the more she'll be willing to ride.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

always licking the glass

29er for wife? or 27.5?

Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Not really. There are plenty of short ladies and men who ride just fine on a 29er.

Just like there are tall women and men who are fine on 27.5 wheels.

To the OP: have her demo where possible. Let her pick what she wants no matter what the wheel size.

mtbr member
    My wife is 5'0" and she rides a Specialized Jett 29er, x-small frame. the frame is plenty small for her. the end.

mtbr member
    Can you use a fork to eat soup? Yes. Does that mean you should use one? Up to you.

27.5's are more nimble, typically smaller and don't require so much strength to maneuver.

Is it minimal? Sure. Does it make a big difference? 100%

At the end of the day, let the rider decide for themselves and I will continue to laugh at small riders using big wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah I'm having her demo a a buddies medium Switchblade (past gen) and she rides a crappy 27.5 Giant Stance right now. She is also demoing a friends 27.5 last-gen Divinci Troy. I was just curious as to what others are doing well with. Thanks!

RAKC
    What the heck 29ers have you ridden, stuff from 20 yrs ago? 29ers definitely are not really any harder to turn, that's far more in the geo of the bike not the wheels size. If you go back to 26 vs 29 then ok, noticeable difference.

Not sure why you would laugh at someone who is out riding just because you dont agree with their wheel size choice. Makes not a bit of sense but whatever.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Yeah I'm having her demo a a buddies medium Switchblade (past gen) and she rides a crappy 27.5 Giant Stance right now. She is also demoing a friends 27.5 last-gen Divinci Troy. I was just curious as to what others are doing well with. Thanks!
    I have right now two bikes: both are 27.5. My next couple bikes (itís a modular frame) will be a short travel 27.5 and a short travel 29er. Itíll be my first 29er. Iím 5í5Ē and Iím really comfortable on 27.5, but I want to give this a shot to see if itís something I like. If not I can sell the 29er parts and just keep it strictly as a short travel 27.5.

I think it depends on her style and what she likes. Glad sheís able to demo bikes and see what she likes. My husband is 5í10Ē and hates 29ers, so itís more a matter of geo and ride style for each person.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can you use a fork to eat soup? Yes. Does that mean you should use one? Up to you.
    Fork= 26"
    Spork= 27.5"
    Spoon=29"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3blackbikes View Post
    Fork= 26"
    Spork= 27.5"
    Spoon=29"
    Pretty funny!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    She did a light demo of last-Gen Pivot Switchblade 29er (XX1 Fox Factory gucci build with carbon wheels) and a last-gen Troy 27.5 (pike and alum wheels etc). She like how "sturdy" the 29er felt (aka the stability) but missed the nimbleness of the 27.5. It was easier for her jump stuff etc on the smaller wheel as well. Her short opinion was that she could be happy with either but the 27.5 was more fun for her riding style which isn't at racing speeds.

So...now we are looking for some 27.5 bikes.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    She did a light demo of last-Gen Pivot Switchblade 29er (XX1 Fox Factory gucci build with carbon wheels) and a last-gen Troy 27.5 (pike and alum wheels etc). She like how "sturdy" the 29er felt (aka the stability) but missed the nimbleness of the 27.5. It was easier for her jump stuff etc on the smaller wheel as well. Her short opinion was that she could be happy with either but the 27.5 was more fun for her riding style which isn't at racing speeds.

So...now we are looking for some 27.5 bikes.
    Cool! Keep us updated. Iím trying my first 29er this year. I already ride 2.6 balloon tires anyway so weíll see if itís much of a transition or I end up loving or hating it.

I love to jump, but there are times I really need a bike to go uphill more than jump. So weíll see how this goes. Iím curious if thereís room in my riding style for both wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Lots of nice 27.5's out there. Competitivecyclist has a sale. My lovely bride is on an SB5 turq and loves it! They have frames (including Yeti-Beti) that can be built up.

mtbr member
    As a 5'4" dude, I felt WAY too high on my buddy's 29er. Granted it was a large.

Will be sticking with 27.5. But that is all personal preference. Have her test it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    'Nuff said! Would have been even worse on an XL.

Ride Everything
    My 5'4" wife rides a small Pivot Mach 4 SL (29er). Standover and effective top tube were more suitable than the 27.5 rigs she test rode.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I have right now two bikes: both are 27.5. My next couple bikes (itís a modular frame) will be a short travel 27.5 and a short travel 29er. Itíll be my first 29er. Iím 5í5Ē and Iím really comfortable on 27.5, but I want to give this a shot to see if itís something I like. If not I can sell the 29er parts and just keep it strictly as a short travel 27.5.

I think it depends on her style and what she likes. Glad sheís able to demo bikes and see what she likes. My husband is 5í10Ē and hates 29ers, so itís more a matter of geo and ride style for each person.
    You know, The Pro's Closet has a "certified previously owned" 2020 Trance 29 0 full XTR for $6332. SOMEONE ought to buy it!
    My wife's too tall.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    My wife is 5'0" and she rides a Specialized Jett 29er, x-small frame. the frame is plenty small for her. the end.
    Agreed. My wife is on a Trek 29er and loves the rollover ability. She never gets hung up on rocks or roots and it really keeps its momentum. The end part II.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post

Will be sticking with 27.5. But that is all personal preference. Have her test it.
    This. Its really annoying to have all the males come on the womenís lounge and tell us whatís right for us. You guys have the rest of the forum.

Let her pick out her own bike, and post here with her own questions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Depends on her riding style. Iím 5í2Ē and have longer travel 27.5 bike for all mountain and bike parks, and 29 for XC stuff. They feel totally different, the 29er is definitely fast but lacks the nimbleness and playfulness of the 27.5 which I prefer on techy trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I agree with the idea that smaller riders, particularly on rowdy trails, should be on 27.5s.

Plenty of shorter people ride 29ers of course, and it's the fastest for XC style riding. But I certainly don't think it's the best choice for a shorter/ less strong person unless you just care about being timed over smooth terrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 64 inches and ride in the rocky hilly San Diego area as well as lots of trips to Utah, Arizona and Colorado. The first bike I ever felt fit me was the original Ibis Mojo SL 26" in Small and it was a revelation. Suddenly I could maneuver in rock gardens and master tight switchbacks on the best darn climbing bike I ever owned. I also was comfortable, if not super fast, downhilling as I felt in good control overall. Then the larger wheels came along, and their benefits over 26 were pretty clear. I spent a year on a Small Ripley 29er and loved it on nontechnical fast terrain, but felt maneuvering it was a big step down from the Mojo. On exposed off camber trails it was downright scary because of the top heavy feel, and I had toe overlap if I unclipped on a sharp turn, and my butt would scrape the rear wheel on very steep downhill (!!!) I then got a XS Pivot Mach 6 27.5 which has me smiling again. So I echo Suns-PSD's thoughts. If you want fast, on nontechnical terrain, 29 will be fine. If you ride twisting tight singletrack and like switchbacks and rock gardens, 27.5 will work better.