29+ for lighter rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

29+ for lighter rider

My wife and I have been discussing a good bike for her to cover everything her road bike isn't great for. It will primarily be for family rides (maybe with a trailer, maybe not), some paved, some gravel, rail trails and a bit of easy to moderate technical trails.

After some discussion and asking around other places, we're leaning toward a 29+ (stache, krampus). The concern is that while she's quite fit, she's also 5'8" 110lbs, and the 29+ is quite a bit of rotating weight for her to have to re-accelerate out on the trails. Unfortunately, there's no place to demo one near us.

Her prior non-road bikes are a 2010 XCal (which made her nervous on technical stuff, but loved otherwise) and some cross bikes.

Any lighter riders on here have time on a 29+? How did you like it?

In an effort to keep this short, I'll leave out the stuff we ruled out and why.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    My wife has owned 26 fat rigid, 29 hardtail, 29 fs with 2.35, 29 fs with 2.6, 27.5+ fs, and a 29+ rigid. Of all of those, 29+ is her favorite and according to strava she's also fastest on that bike on most trails. It seems the momentum maintained through corners and bumpy sections makes up for the slower acceleration.

We did invest in a decent wheelset to keep the weight down though, which I think is key.

29+ for lighter rider-img_20180319_201916953.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I would likely try to build it up for that reason. What wheelset/tires did you end up with?

No suspension? I was planning on getting something with a suspension fork, but I guess that could come down the road if she decides she needs it.

Snow Dog
    Krampus is a pretty versatile frame/bike...when I was shopping, I test rode both because the Stache was originally #1 on the list....till I rode the Krampus

I use mine for singletrack, gravel, snow, paved trails, eventually for bike packing (working up my health for that)...I even ride it at the skatepark sometimes...rigid steel is so simple and trustworthy to deal with; I am old school and grew up on BMX, so the Krampus was a perfect fit.

it can run 29+, 29 regular; 27.5 etc...I don't think her weight/strength will be an issue...you can add things like carbon fiber bars, lighter wheels etc as well. I have mine set up with all of the stock parts that came with it right now and it weighs 34lbs...I plan on getting lighter bars and trying the tubeless thing, but I am not a weight weenie

obviously, you would know that the right fit is way more important than the wheel size, so make sure that happens!!

Krampus is not a bad investment!!! You also might want to look at the Ogre, Troll or Karate Monkey fames/bikes as well!!!
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have the Stache and the Bontrager tires with tubes were like anchors dragging the ground. The rolling resistance was unbelievable. Running tubeless made a HUGE difference. If you want the best tire, get the Crux in 3.25. It is better than any other tire I've used for grip in any terrain and it rolls FAST. I mean really FAST. I coast on the slight down hill grade home while other people are pedaling trying to keep pace, seriously, I have to feather the brakes to slow enough if we are trying to talk.

If you are looking for other bikes to consider, the Marin Pine Mountain 2 has a great fork and high end components as well. For the extreme rocky trails, I prefer it to the Stache. The steel offers better damping through the rock gardens. Some of our trails are easily 45% rock gardens. We are constantly getting beat up be the rocks. The Marin is better for that terrain.

For XC type riding, either one will work well.

I did buy a second set of wheels for the more technical single track out here, the 29+ is great everywhere but the really slow technical trails. The 27.5+ is more nimble.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    She test rode a stache today and really liked it. I'm assuming the same would go for the Krampus. Looks like it's between those two. Will likely come down to whatever we can find at the right price point first.

My preference is always to build something, but buying a complete is way more cost effective.

mtbr member
    I am 5'3"/115 and have a 15.5" Stache, built rigid singlespeed. It has heavy (but tubeless) wheels and knobby tires on it, but I manage okay! It's the bike I race in my one SS race per year (Beti Bike Bash) and ride on tame trails.

Getting unbranded Chinese carbon rims for it (I have a Chinese carbon fork as well) is a possibility for the future to bring down the rolling weight. This is not a bike I will beat up enough to worry about going with cheaper carbon. I'm for sure not hucking anything big on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Juice View Post
    I am 5'3"/115 and have a 15.5" Stache, built rigid singlespeed. It has heavy (but tubeless) wheels and knobby tires on it, but I manage okay! It's the bike I race in my one SS race per year (Beti Bike Bash) and ride on tame trails.

Getting unbranded Chinese carbon rims for it (I have a Chinese carbon fork as well) is a possibility for the future to bring down the rolling weight. This is not a bike I will beat up enough to worry about going with cheaper carbon. I'm for sure not hucking anything big on it.
    Great to hear! I have a frame/parts on order. It's going to be a Stache with a Yari, xt/slx build. I think she's really going to like it.