12 year old grandaughter needs shorts or liner- Mtbr.com
    jalepenio jimenez

12 year old grandaughter needs shorts or liner

Yesterday I rode my first ride with our twelve yo granddaughter. She was riding her "new" bike: my old 2001 medium size Titus Racer X that was an awesome bike for its time (I've since moved on to large size frames,) but the medium fits her great. And she did great. We rode 6 miles of Boise foothills singletrack, with lots of up and lots of down and she handled it like she'd been riding 4ever. I'm in pretty good shape for my age (70), but I could tell immediately that I would be earning my post ride cocktail trying to keep up with her and the vitality of youth that twelve year olds are stuffed full of. When we got to our high point and realized she hadn't shifted out of the middle ring on any of the climbs, we were really impressed. Came to discover she didn't know that she could shift to a lower gear with her left hand - my bad - so time for a little more explaining on how the bike works.
    So my question to the ladies: I would like to get her at the very least some 2 hour short liners or liner/shorts combo. The Dakine Comp liner looks pretty cool - any opinion on them? Or the Club Ride June chamois?
    She wore pretty short shorts yesterday so I'm looking for a liner that isn't too long. Any info or feedback on what she should be wearing is appreciated.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    Yesterday I rode my first ride with our twelve yo granddaughter. She was riding her "new" bike: my old 2001 medium size Titus Racer X that was an awesome bike for its time (I've since moved on to large size frames,) but the medium fits her great. And she did great. We rode 6 miles of Boise foothills singletrack, with lots of up and lots of down and she handled it like she'd been riding 4ever. I'm in pretty good shape for my age (70), but I could tell immediately that I would be earning my post ride cocktail trying to keep up with her and the vitality of youth that twelve year olds are stuffed full of. When we got to our high point and realized she hadn't shifted out of the middle ring on any of the climbs, we were really impressed. Came to discover she didn't know that she could shift to a lower gear with her left hand - my bad - so time for a little more explaining on how the bike works.
    So my question to the ladies: I would like to get her at the very least some 2 hour short liners or liner/shorts combo. The Dakine Comp liner looks pretty cool - any opinion on them? Or the Club Ride June chamois?
    She wore pretty short shorts yesterday so I'm looking for a liner that isn't too long. Any info or feedback on what she should be wearing is appreciated.
    My 9 year old daughter uses the dakine liners. They are nice for multi hour rides and aren't too long but would probably stick out of running length shorts. A couple of overgrown trail rides though has her convinced to wear longer shorts for leg protection.

I also have her using shin/knee guards to protect against errant pedal strikes which can be a ride killer.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    ...I also have her using shin/knee guards to protect against errant pedal strikes which can be a ride killer.
    I've read on these forums how flat pedals are notorious for pedal strikes on exposed shins, something I've never had to worry about with clipless. Now you have me a little concerned for my granddaughters shins, and wondering how to teach her to avoid this problem. She is so carefree that shin guards wouldn't fit her style, but I will definitely keep it in mind.

Thanks for the response. I'm still looking at shorts/liners and have checked out the many offerings on Amazon, but would rather buy from someone not Amazon. I have Dakine liners/shorts also, as well as Club Ride and Zoic, and I have to say, they all work well for me. As far as my Fox liners, the pad came loose inside it's pocket and has move around and bunched up to where they are useless, and when I called Fox about them, they told me to pound sand, in so many words.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

mtbr member
    I use women's Zoic for my riding. They are good.