“Last” Bike Suggestions - Intermediate Old Lady- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

“Last” Bike Suggestions - Intermediate Old Lady

I’m turning 56 soon and searching for my “last” bike that will keep me biking until I die. I currently ride a Liv Intrigue 27.5 and I still ride my old Giant 26 FS with a Walky Dog to legally exercise my terriers in the forest.

When I chose the 27.5 over the 29, I felt like I couldn’t corner as well on the 29s I tried. I demoed the 6Fattie years ago and liked the bigger tire's traction and ability to roll over bigger rocks and roots but wanted to wait until they figured out the geometry, weight, etc. As bikes have progressed and tires have gotten bigger and 29ers have changed - I’m wondering what bikes I should even look at to demo now.

I ride mainly in DuPont but throw in some easy Pisgah / Bent Creek / Santos as well. As we travel around in our Sprinter with more time away from work -we try out lots of different easier and intermediate trails. Looking for something that is light weight, climbs easily, handles switchbacks well, rolls over roots and rocks, and keeps me confident and comfortable as I get older so that I can ride the same types of trails and stay out in the woods longer.

My current 140mm-150mm suspension may be overkill for what I do - but it sure is comfortable on older bones. I’m 5’7" - 125 lbs so I don’t necessarily need a woman specific bike. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by g@tor View Post

I ride mainly in DuPont but throw in some easy Pisgah / Bent Creek / Santos as well. As we travel around in our Sprinter with more time away from work -we try out lots of different easier and intermediate trails. Looking for something that is light weight, climbs easily, handles switchbacks well, rolls over roots and rocks, and keeps me confident and comfortable as I get older so that I can ride the same types of trails and stay out in the woods longer.
    Check out the Trek Fuel EX. It's my Goldilocks bike, just like you described above. 120mm travel, so burlier than a super lightweight xc bike, but it's light enough to not be burdensome, and rolls over just about everything.

I first bought one in 2016, loved it for long all-day mountain epics but also easy town cruising when I was tired, or for coaching kids. For reference I live in Durango, CO so we have all kinds of trail terrain here. Just sold that one to get a 2019 and plan to keep it for a long long time.

mtbr member
    You are much too young to be thinking of buying your last bike!

When I was looking for my prior bike in about 2015, I tried several 29ers and really did not like any of them. Last summer, I tried the latest batch of 29ers and settled on a Giant Trance 29 Pro 1 which easily takes a 2.6" tire on the rear (I would recommend getting a bike that has that capability).

I immediately set about a dozen PR's on it as well as falling in love with the way it felt, the playfulness, etc. The PR's themselves are just illustrative of how much easier it is to ride. That doesn't mean it's boring, just that I can ride harder stuff for a longer period of time. That becomes more important as I age - I'm 66 and still want to be able to bike with my 27 year old son without him being bored.

I'd say try one of the new crop of 29ers. You might really like them.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post

When I was looking for my prior bike in about 2015, I tried several 29ers and really did not like any of them. Last summer, I tried the latest batch of 29ers and settled on a Giant Trance 29 Pro 1 which easily takes a 2.6" tire on the rear (I would recommend getting a bike that has that capability).

I immediately set about a dozen PR's on it as well as falling in love with the way it felt, the playfulness, etc. The PR's themselves are just illustrative of how much easier it is to ride. That doesn't mean it's boring, just that I can ride harder stuff for a longer period of time. That becomes more important as I age - I'm 66 and still want to be able to bike with my 27 year old son without him being bored.

I'd say try one of the new crop of 29ers. You might really like them.
    Truth! Hope you love your new bike, g@tor!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Treat yourself to carbon. I was on the original Intrigue and upgraded to this year's carbon version. I love the changes they've made.
    58 here and no such thing as "last bike". lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My husband bought the Giant 27.5 carbon not long after I bought mine and I've had bike envy ever since. Really not fair that his bike is lighter than mine! So I am definitely thinking carbon. Yes - I'm kidding myself -- as long as I can ride and they keep making positive changes to bikes I'll find another one I "need". I appreciate all the input so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Agree! 55 here and looking for my NEXT bike, but by no means my last one
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No such thing as "last" bike is there? Have a look at the new Giant Trance 29r ...I am liking mine a lot.

Slothful dirt hippie
    A couple springs ago I was guiding a master sawyer- hauling a gas saw and extra gas no less- through the back side of the WF Teanaway basin to clear some blow down for an upcoming Evergreen bike-n-camp event. We were way back in there where wildlife encounters are FAR more common than human when... we ran into a dude. An old dude. With a bike, and a huge grin, and a very enthusiastic story.

Turns out he was from Spokane and had been 'sploring out there in BF nowhere Teanaway on his way back and forth between there and Seattle over the years. He was 73 and utterly crushing it solo out there. Wow. Rock on, you crazy ol bike dude!

As we pulled the saw gear out he asked if we wanted to smoke a joint. We politely declined and he charged off down the trail as the sawdust started to fly. I told some friends later that my next band name idea was "Power Tools and Weed". What could possibly go wrong? But I still think fondly of that guy when I start wondering how many years I've got left.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."