Who has the best price on Crossmax SLR's?- Mtbr.com
    The Other Dude

Who has the best price on Crossmax SLR's?

I am looking to get a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR Disc wheels. I need the 6 bolt disc ones. the best price i found so far was 799.99 shipped. Anyone know of any better prices??
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Just my opinion... the SL's weight is just the same as the SLR's, but they're $100 cheaper. Have you thought about it?
    "I will not relent"

SuperInstigator
    Nope, cheapest place I found was that store that you found also! Used Google search, froogle, bestbikebuys, and qbike.

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

The Other Dude
    I have the SL's now, and i thought the SLRs were a bit lighter.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    I have the SL's now, and i thought the SLRs were a bit lighter.
    Nope, they're the same (2007). Visit www.mavic.com
    "I will not relent"

The Other Dude
    I have the 2006 Crossmax SL Disc's. What is the difference then, is it just color, is one stiffer or what?

mtbr member
    As i have recently sold my SL's and bought some SLR's, the SLRs are lighter. Supposedly a bit stiffer etc, but i really doubt many will really notice the difference unless you are a pro elite racer.

They look different, work well and are a bit lighter than the SL's. Are they worth the extra $$ over the SL.... depends how much spare $$ you have! My real opinion, probably not

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    I have the 2006 Crossmax SL Disc's. What is the difference then, is it just color, is one stiffer or what?
    2007 models (SL's and SLR's) are about 150g lighter than 2006 SL's. My point is, both '07 SL and SLR weigh just the same (according to Mavic's website), so, why don't you just buy '07 SL's instead of SLR's and save a hundred bucks? Color won't be a problem, since you already have the '06 SL's...
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Far as i know the only difference (functional) between the 2007 SL and the 2007 SLR is the titanium skewer.

The 2006 SL is heavier than the 2007 models. (15%??)

i am, therefore, i ride
    I debated the same thing for a long time. Shall I sell my 06 SL's and replace it with 07 SLR's? As ryan123 said, " depends upon how much spare $$ you have ! " Is the color and weight difference worth the extra $$ ? I decided it wasn't worth the extra $$ so i kept my 06 SL's.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    I debated the same thing for a long time. Shall I sell my 06 SL's and replace it with 07 SLR's? As ryan123 said, " depends upon how much spare $$ you have ! " Is the color and weight difference worth the extra $$ ? I decided it wasn't worth the extra $$ so i kept my 06 SL's.
    Agree, in the end it's just a matter of money. I you have the cash and think it's worth, just go for it...
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    My LBS is selling a set of last year's SLR's for $600. I think internet shops may not be allowed to advertise for less than full retail (799) so it might be worth it to walk into a couple local shops and see if they can hook you up.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled
    My LBS is selling a set of last year's SLR's for $600. I think internet shops may not be allowed to advertise for less than full retail (799) so it might be worth it to walk into a couple local shops and see if they can hook you up.
    There is no such thing as a "last year's SLR's". Crossmax SLR wheels were introduced as a 2007 model.
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    maybe they were SLs then. I was not interested in them so didn't look real closely. I did pick up a pair of SXs for 600, which seemed like a pretty good price.

mtbr member
    so, the dif between the 07 sl's and 07 slr's is color and ti skewers? bags for slr's too, probably?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The non-disc version is lighter that the non-disc SL but the disc versions are the same. You do get the Ti skewer and a set of wheel bags. For the lightest disc set up go with the center locks and a XTR rotor. They will work will all brake set ups assuming you are using 160mm rotors. We will beat any authorized dealers advertised price.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

TranceX Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by applegreenheckler
    The non-disc version is lighter that the non-disc SL but the disc versions are the same. You do get the Ti skewer and a set of wheel bags. For the lightest disc set up go with the center locks and a XTR rotor. They will work will all brake set ups assuming you are using 160mm rotors. We will beat any authorized dealers advertised price.
    I'm planning to get a pair... But I thought it would be lightest to get the 6-bolt pattern & Alligator Serrated 160mm rotors with Ti bolts. I might be mistaken with my accounts, could you verify for me, please?

Thanks!

addendum: that should save me about 70-80 grams from my current setup (XTR WH-M975-disc with XTR SM-RT97 CL rotor(160mm).
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think the center lock version (the version in which mavic publishes the wheel weight) is about 30grams per wheel lighter than the 6 bolt version
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

Knolliac

TranceX Rider
    Thanks, applegreenheckler. But I have come up with these numbers...
    6-bolts Disc using Alligator Serrated rotors
    1520(685 F; 835 R) + 186(93) = 1706

CL version
    1460 + 270(135) = 1730

1520 - 60(30grams per wheel lighter than the 6 bolt version to quote you)

& for most part of it, made me confused... Just have to redo everything again. LoL!

Cheers!

Nota bene: figures are just claimed weight from Mavic's webby as well as your quote. Still I have yet to see realworld figures. 70-80grams is quite a savings for me but if we base it from the above equations WS is 'round 24ish grams (still some savings there), that's why I'm sorting things out here. & pardon me, I don't want to sound like I'm being a smart ass here... & I would truly appreciate, any help from you, my guru friends here! Just want every option be considered thoroughly before hitting the trigger. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Got my 07' Crossmax SL (6 bolt version) last week; manage to weight it on my digital scale and took some pictures, before install it on my wife stumpy fsr.

I'll post the weight and pictures on my tread over at "Wheels and Tires" section: -
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=304149

Hope that helps for someone asking about the weight.
    Last edited by nizee; 06-04-2007 at 09:38 AM.

TranceX Rider
    Wow! Way to go, Idaho! ( from Toy Story movie) Thanks, nizee! Be waiting then!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientwisdom
    This isn't a deal. They are selling at MSRP.

Members who have read this thread: 0