Where's a good place to buy a shimano xtr/mavic wheelset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Where's a good place to buy a shimano xtr/mavic wheelset?

Next week I need to order a wheelset and I've settled on a shimano xtr m975 CL/mavic 717 black disc rim set. So far the best price I have found is at Frankford bicycles where they want $400.00 for this set but it comes with brass nipples and the spokes are silver (upgrade to black is an extra $25.00). Anyone know of a place with a better price on this wheelset and that has a good reputation for building up wheels? Thanks.
    Last edited by Freezer; 07-16-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    Next week I need to order a wheelset and I've settled on a shimano xtr m975 CL/mavic 717 black disc rim set. So far the best price I have found is at Frankford bicycles where they want $400.00 for this set but it comes with brass nipples and the spokes are silver (upgrade to black is an extra $25.00). Anyone know of a place with a better price on this wheelset and that has a good reputation for building up wheels? Thanks.
    Colorado Cyclist - they have an excellent rep for building wheels.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...763&TextMode=0

Brass nipples aren't a bad idea on a daily-use mountain wheelset. You can save the weight difference by using a light tube, and the brass nipples are much easier to work with down the road.

mtbr member
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=40

$279.99

i havent heard much of the quality of their wheelbuilds, but their customer service is great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I emailed Colorado cyclist but got no reply back so not sure what to think with them. The XTR/mavic 717 wheelset ($279.00) at bicyclewheelwarehouse has the XTR 965 hubs and i sort of wanted the newer 975 ones. I guess for a savings of around $100.00 maybe I should think of getting the 965 version instead though as i'm sure the new XTR 975 hubs cannot be that much better than the older ones. Anyone know the difference between the 975 hubs and the older 965 ones? Also, i plan on ordering a 2007 xtr group set that has everything but the hubs so if I get the 965's they won't quite match the rest of my XTR stuff.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    I emailed Colorado cyclist but got no reply back so not sure what to think with them.
    Try calling them. They are primarily a brick & mortar shop.

Another one I've heard really good things about is Larry @ Mountain High Cyclery.
    http://mtnhighcyclery.com/indexpage.htm

Same deal - call him.

Members who have read this thread: 0