Where Do You Buy Your Gear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Where Do You Buy Your Gear?

Hi there, just wondering where all you guys purchase your riding gear (jerseys, pants/shorts, gloves, base layer wear etc.) as i am trying to find an alternative to my LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Comon... 50 views and no responses. Whats going on?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ....just trying to find a good place to buy my bike apparel. No need to try to boost your self esteem, dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    jenson is my favorite, followed by pricepoint, nashbar, performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Arsenal
    ....just trying to find a good place to buy my bike apparel. No need to try to boost your self esteem, dude.
    There are just tons of places. Each one would carry almost completely different stuff. Your question is so generic that there is no right or wrong answer to it and that is what is going on: "Comon... 50 views and no responses. Whats going on?"

And if you want to support mtbr.com, use these links: http://www.mtbr.com/hotlinks/hotlinksmail.shtml

This web has some cool advises reg. winter cloth and some suggestions where to get it, I think: http://www.icebike.org/

100% recycled
    Quote Originally Posted by afie
    X-post

With the viewpoint from an international buyer- Australia. I have bought about $8-10,000 worth of mtb and road gear for about 10 bikes since the start of the year from these stores. In general, you want to be buying from a store that ships via USPS for general items.

www.excelsports.com
    pro: good customer service, large range
    con: very rarely has anything on sale, no discount codes, charges flat rate for USPS shipping rather than actual value, expensive shipping for large products (wheelset= $205, bike= $500, groupset $130

www.universalcycles.com
    pro: good customer service-but I always get put on hold; cheap prices and then 15% discount on top of that, easy ordering system through paypal, large range from QBP, charges actual value for USPS shipping.
    con: prohibitely expensive shipping for wheels and frames

www.nashbar.com

con: will not honour discounts- will claim that your credit card is being denied; expensive shipping. AVOID. The same goes for performance bike.

www.jensonusa.com
    pro:at times, great shipping for frames ($45 for frameset via 3 day UPS).
    con: average customer service

www.pricepoint.com
    pro: good shipping calculator

www.biketiresdirect.com
    pro: normally has the best price on Selle Italia SLR

eBay
    pro: Check out www.procyclingdiscount.com- has a good rep in this forum.
    con: expensive shipping for frames and wheels

www.cambriabikes.com
    pro: often fantastic deals on some parts- if they have the specifications that you need; fantastic shipping rates via fedex (fast) for parts, and especially for wheels/frames etc. Customer service is fine.
    con: shipping is not insured, but you can ask them to add it.

www.aebike.com
    pro: wide range from QBP, good shipping rates for bulky items (workstand for $25); USPS shipped

www.probikekit.com UK
    pro: good shipping rates ($15 for large amount of components, extra ~$55 for wheelsets), good prices on groupsets, good range and prices on team clothing
    con: small range of most components, limited stock supplies, puts full value on customs forms

www.starbike.com GER
    pro: best prices on shimano, campag, conti and a whole lot of other stuff; they speak english; good source/prices for boutique gear like tune, schmolke etc; cheap shipping, especially for wheelsets; good customs policy
    con: slow shipping (20 working days norm)

www.totalcycling.com IRE
    pro: good shipping rates and great prices on sidi

www.chainreactioncycles.com UK
    pro: good range for mtb; good prices on most stuff, often have 5-10% sales on top; offers free shipping over ~$600USD for wheelsets as well
    con: the more of a deal you get, the less they care about your shipping

www.chainringtransitauthority.com Sydney, AUS
    pro: excellent customer service; good prices on velocity rims; best in the world prices on phil wood hubs; has 650b rims; can ship direct from Velocity factory to your door for special orders; has sway with velocity to get special colours/drillings

www.trisports.com
    pro: good customer service; 15% discount if you belong to the slowtwitch forums; good deals on tri gear

www.lickbike.com
    pro: often has cheap campag and other components
    con: slow to order and ship, would not take credit card for first time buyer; claims to pricematch, but would not for a groupset- claimed to be able to give me the best price, but ended up charging me more. AVOID

wisecyclebuys, sagecycles have good reps, worldclasscycles has a wide range of tyres, but I have never used any of these.
    aaa

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I stick to performance (member is worth it, free upgraded shipping and great sales) for essentials, and their clothes (shorts) rock. They also own nashbar, but not as good IMO.
    Pricepoint has always done me right.
    JensonUSA has a better selection than most.
    AE Bike and Cambria on occasion.

Semper Fi
    Jul 2007
    I buy from the LBS.....

Everything fits different and its a PITA shipping stuff back and fourth if it's not the right size.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I also like Cambria Bike and Greenfish Sports. The latter has good clearance prices on older stuff. Blue Sky has good lost leader pricing but their price matching is clumsy. Sometimes even Amazon has decent prices on stuff. It's usually one of the stores mentioned here but at a lower price for the Marketplace. REI Outlet is also good occasionally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been buying a lot of stuff at Jenson. I've used their nice pricematch feature, found the lowest price at another internet retailer, and they've matched it everytime.

100% recycled
    Quote Originally Posted by amheck
    I've been buying a lot of stuff at Jenson. I've used their nice pricematch feature, found the lowest price at another internet retailer, and they've matched it everytime.
    Jenson wouldnt give me a pricematch for a single chorus ergopower shiter that they had listed because the lower price that I found was for two (a set) of shifters. They were the same in every way, but Jenson weaseled its way out on a technicality, rather than making their price closer to the market value.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Jenson suddenly had only white 2007 revelation air u-turns and all the black ones were 2008 so they didnt price match (are 2008 revelation shocks out yet?). Then, before I could order the 426 dual-air that they did pricematch, they were out of stock. As far as my fork goes.. they didn't get my business. If they pricematch I like to buy there but I dont feed the weasel.

Members who have read this thread: 0