What's Up Universal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

What's Up Universal?

MSRP on a Gravity Dropper is 299.00 but you are asking 321.00, what's up with that? I guess your VIP 10 coupon gets it just under MSRP. What a deal

It's carbon dontcha know.
    VIP15 gets you even more.

mtbr member
    I noticed they did that with the RS Sektor as well, much higher than everyone else. Of course with the code, it can be cheaper than Jenson. Hmm, practicing Nashbar techniques?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Details

Sorry for the confusion on the Gravity Dropper. It was our mistake, and we have corrected the price. With Sram products, they have come out with their new Minimum Advertised Pricing for 2011. Other dealers may not have updated the prices yet.
    Dream of the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud, of high volume.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I hate universal !!! They never put any beer in my packages !

Ha - They're so reliable thats the only complaint I could come up with.

Somebody there helped my wife correctly decipher my christmas list last month. She was very complimentary of the guy she spoke to.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 13pumps
    MSRP on a Gravity Dropper is 299.00 but you are asking 321.00, what's up with that? I guess your VIP 10 coupon gets it just under MSRP. What a deal<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe><iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/27shlk6" vspale=0></iframe>
    Performance, nashbar and univeral are known for doing this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker
    Performance, nashbar and univeral are known for doing this.
    But Universal doesn't raise or lower prices base on their sales. Their prices and sales are consistent, unlike Performance. I'll take Universal's prices, sales and phone customer service over Performance's any day. And no, I don't work for Universal.

Kaishingo
    Quote Originally Posted by ucmike
    Sorry for the confusion on the Gravity Dropper. It was our mistake, and we have corrected the price. With Sram products, they have come out with their new Minimum Advertised Pricing for 2011. Other dealers may not have updated the prices yet.
    Running a web retail distribution business myself, I know how much a PIA price changes can be. You have 40-50 manufacturers, and they all change their prices on different days with barely any notice. It's not hard to overlook one product. Frankly, I'd rather be out riding then burning the midnight oil in double/triple checking all of my prices!!!

Keep up the good work universal - you're still my first go-to when I need something since I can actually find stuff on your site!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla

Keep up the good work universal - you're still my first go-to when I need something since I can actually find stuff on your site!
    This. Their site is very well organized, lot's of stuff, and I like that they even include the mfg. upc code as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I also enjoy seeing the number of items in stock. Nice.

It is the most well organized site on the web today. Better than those generically copied bike sites that all use the exact same layout.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    You likely won't find the best deals on UC. But they have a huge selection in stock with good detailed pictures. Furthermore, they carry a large selection of relavant replacement parts for stuff that wears out or breaks. Try finding that stuff on any other mail order site or better yet your lbs. Even bigger bonus if you live in PDX you pick up your stuff in store sans shipping....righteous!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC
    You likely won't find the best deals on UC
    true, but between price matching on most parts and the 10% and 15% off coupons I can still usually get larger orders cheaper through Universal than any other good, reputable stores.

Universal doesn't deal much with old stock and oem takeoffs like some other stores, which is the one area where you might really miss out on deals available elsewhere

speaking of which, it looks like UPS just delivered a package to my house from Universal

mtbr member

Sales tax sucks.

They opened a store in Utah so now I have to pay taxes on anything from them. I shop elsewhere now.
    Last edited by bullitt338; 01-21-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    Banks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    true, but between price matching on most parts and the 10% and 15% off coupons I can still usually get larger orders cheaper through Universal than any other good, reputable stores.
    I'll second this. They aren't my go to for little stuff, but the times I've had orders over $300 they've been the cheapest with the 15% off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut
    I'll second this. They aren't my go to for little stuff, but the times I've had orders over $300 they've been the cheapest with the 15% off.
    It can actually works out better than many "build kits" that other sites offer, and you get to pick your components freely.

mtbr member
    In general, I've had good success with them, especially the price match & VIP coes; but...
    I placed an order before 10:00 AM EST yesterday, received an email 2 hours later that it would ship today and guess what it did not ship. Now, I orginally did not expect it to ship yesterday, but when I got an email stating it would and I may be able to build my wheel this weekend, I got excited. So, why send the email that it will ship...then not ship it (at least that's what the website said this morning, processing.

nocturnal oblivion
    They refused 2 price matches last I tried. Tree Fort matched both.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    They refused 2 price matches last I tried. Tree Fort matched both.
    This has happened to me a couple times, but their matched priced was usually within a couple of dollars. I tend to go with them because of their $2.99 Flex-Ship price. And they usually have what I need in stock as well.

Save Jesus
    They had some brake levers on sale, but then charged a big shipping fee (unwieldy item) on top of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    For me I always find the best deals at Universal. If I don't then I go to CRC or Wiggle. Universal is nice because of the 10-15% off coupons, the free shipping over 150 and it ships from from multiple warehouses so you can pick (usually) which warehosue you want it shipped from, they call this "flex-shipping".

For me, I always pick the Oregon one (which is also the warehosue that usually has the most in stock) and get it shipped to California so it's tax free and only takes 2 days to get here via UPS Ground

I have had some luck with the PM system. I like that it's quick and you get an email response immediately with their best price, but honestly even if you find an item that is a few bucks less on another website, the 10-15% off coupon that they provide will smash that price, so it doesn't matter about the PM too much.

You gotta be careful too when you PM and make sure it's a better deal then the 10-15% off (coupon doesn't apply to PM's) or else you could end up paying more if you use the PM price

I'm a happy customer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    yep, flex ship rocks.

I will drive 60 miles to the trail, but I'd rather order online on a weekday than drive to the lbs. gotta be always ready to ride by the weekend

no hatin please, my lbs is a bike and bike repair store. not really a parts store. they aint missin much.

mtbr member
    I agree that Universal is very reliable, and you can usually find what you want there. No sales tax to CA is nice too. Their base prices are usually pretty high, and the price match almost never matches the price I find elsewhere, but at least it's fast and easy to use. VIP 10-15% off can get closer to the best prices, but you gotta compare vs. their price match.

Oftentimes Amazon has good prices and free shipping, but you do pay sales tax.

Inventory, website quality, store reliability, base prices, blowout sales, coupons, member points, tax, shipping...so many factors to consider, it's no wonder it can take so long to find something and pull the trigger. If I honestly calculated the dollars per hour I save by shopping around, I might just go back to buy from my LBS. But I can't resist the hunt...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    to universal.

I have purchased many things from them and have always had great service.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Their flex-ship price of $2.99 makes them very reasonable when you only need to order a low price item (like a Fox Float air sleeve kit).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 13pumps
    MSRP on a Gravity Dropper is 299.00 but you are asking 321.00, what's up with that? I guess your VIP 10 coupon gets it just under MSRP. What a deal
    This doesnt seem like a good deal to me...

In general, if you dont like the price on any given website or in a store, there's nobody with a gun to your head forcing you to click buy it is there? That's one of the things that makes life great... we have the freedom to choose one place over another.

Why are you posting a note to them here when it would be much easier and more effective to give them a call or email them about your concern?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow
    This doesnt seem like a good deal to me...

In general, if you dont like the price on any given website or in a store, there's nobody with a gun to your head forcing you to click buy it is there? That's one of the things that makes life great... we have the freedom to choose one place over another.

Why are you posting a note to them here when it would be much easier and more effective to give them a call or email them about your concern?
    I think he was being sarcastic about "what a deal", but it doesn't really matter because Mike from Universal already posted that it was an error and it is now at the correct price

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I think he was being sarcastic about "what a deal", but it doesn't really matter because Mike from Universal already posted that it was an error and it is now at the correct price
    And my point is, what's the point? There is no reason to post about something that is priced at retail or in this case above retail in a forum called "where are the best deals?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow
    And my point is, what's the point? There is no reason to post about something that is priced at retail or in this case above retail in a forum called "where are the best deals?"
    because the forum title is out of date and/or people take it too literally. This section is used all the time for any discussion on stores and prices. Given that, a question about a deal instead of just pointing out a deal doesn't seem out of place at all

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Universal is now letting you get $2.99 shipping for any amount of 1 item. I think this is pretty cool because there have been many times I needed 1 small thing like a bolt or some cable ferrules and most places charge you at least $6 for the first item, even if it can fit in an envelope. Now somebody actually has an envelope rate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have had several prices matches not be excepted and their lowest price was nowhere close. But I have had lots of great successes and the $2.99 shipping is awesome.

mtbr member
    It seems that Universal Cycles is my shop of choice now. You simply can't beat their selection, flex shipping pricing, and they always ship on the same or next day.

And never have to bother looking up coupon codes, every month it's either 10% off $100 or 15% off $300 which came mighty handy when I bought a 2011 Fox Float 36 R from them for $680 shipped last week. NO online vendor came even close to this price.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm so pissed right now. Last week I bought a handlebar from a big ebay seller without checking universal first, which I normally do. I paid $66 with shipping. Come to find out today that they're one of those sellers who doesn't stock anything they list. They're still waiting to get my bar from qbp. I look on universal a few minutes ago and they have the bar for $60 plus $2.99 shipping and over 20 on hand ready to ship today. Lesson learned.

Hack Racer
    I uswd to use uniiversal exclusively. But their shipping methods and cost to Canada are too high. Somewhere and sometime in 2008 it seems the way shipping cost via USPS to canada changed. It used to be prorated based on either value or weight (not exactly) sure. But now it appears to be flat rate. So ordering a small thing like a derailleur or a bunch of smaller parts becomes expensive.

Too bad. I used to love universal. Now I don't shop there anymore.

Ground Pounder
    I've had three awesome wheel builds there. Never had the need to call them for post-order issues, which I'm super happy with. Pricing is competitive if not the best.

Amazon is shipping more parts free of charge (over $25) though. Really nice for fenders and bulky bits. Amazon is slow on the ship though...
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappyMedium
    I've had three awesome wheel builds there. Never had the need to call them for post-order issues, which I'm super happy with. Pricing is competitive if not the best.

Amazon is shipping more parts free of charge (over $25) though. Really nice for fenders and bulky bits. Amazon is slow on the ship though...
    Are you kidding me? No one beats Amazon's shipping times. I have an Amazon Prime account and everything I order that is listed by Amazon (and not individual seller/stores on there) gets shipped either next day or 2-day express, free of course as well. And most of the stuff is eligible for free returns as well by Amazon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Are you kidding me? No one beats Amazon's shipping times. I have an Amazon Prime account and everything I order that is listed by Amazon (and not individual seller/stores on there) gets shipped either next day or 2-day express, free of course as well. And most of the stuff is eligible for free returns as well by Amazon.
    I won't compare anything to Amazon Prime since I don't order nearly enough to justify paying that much for the membership, but Amazon themselves ships my regular orders same day or next day every time. The slow shipping times always come from the other vendors who are selling through Amazon's storefront but do their own shipping (such as Niagara Cycle Works who took forever to ship some parts for me)

mtbr member
    ^ You should look into it really, I ended up getting Amazon Prime 1-year for free when they offered to students with an .edu email account but I will definitely renew it when the time comes.

mtbr member
    ^ You should look into it really, I ended up getting Amazon Prime 1-year for free when they offered to students with an .edu email account but I will definitely renew it when the time comes.
    I have; I even did a free trial. It's a very nice thing to have, but the math didn't work out for what I normally order online (i.e. stuff that I don't need right away and often qualifies for free ground shipping)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    I uswd to use uniiversal exclusively. But their shipping methods and cost to Canada are too high. Somewhere and sometime in 2008 it seems the way shipping cost via USPS to canada changed. It used to be prorated based on either value or weight (not exactly) sure. But now it appears to be flat rate. So ordering a small thing like a derailleur or a bunch of smaller parts becomes expensive.

Too bad. I used to love universal. Now I don't shop there anymore.

This. They used to be really reasonable for shipping, now their calculator is on steroids. Shipping small stuff is out of the question as mentioned. And then, if you order a lot, the price sky-rockets real quick. For example, if you order a rim. It's around $42. if you add a second rim (which I could only assume would fit in the same standard box???) jacks the price up by another $10 for another 350g of weight. Doesn't seem very accurate to me. If I order from them now, I make it a point to drive to the States to pickup, otherwise I usually look to CRC which somehow (unlike most US vendors or often seem oblivious to the rest of the world) who has reasonable shipping rates and free shipping price-points.

Great selection, I can usually find a ton of stuff I like, the VIP review program is great, and the coupons or nice (which equals most orders out since some products are priced a tad high). Just wish it was still a more viable option for Canadians.

Ground Pounder
    Are you kidding me?
    I am not.
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

More Torque
    Just wanted to say that Universal (Mike) went out of his way to help me with a questionable warranty item that I purchased from them a while back.

No hassles or anything, just good, prompt customer service that is much appreciated.

-D

Members who have read this thread: 0