Universal Cycles are the best- Mtbr.com
    jun
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wink Universal Cycles are the best

I sent Mike at Universal Cycles my used King hub and they built me a new UST wheel to spec and shipped it the following day.

Universal did well at price matching all of the components. Plus, their build cost & shipping was still cheaper than I could find locally.

Feb 2004

the best

mike at universal cycles is the best, I dont order from anyone but mike,end of story!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Great place to do business!

Quote Originally Posted by jun
    I sent Mike at Universal Cycles my used King hub and they built me a new UST wheel to spec and shipped it the following day.

Universal did well at price matching all of the components. Plus, their build cost & shipping was still cheaper than I could find locally.
    They are moving to NW Portland this month, I think. A bit more LBS like. I bet Fat Tire is ready to crap themselves. Mike has sold me tons of crap at great prices. The other guy who works there does a nice job too. I have been hammering a set of wheels from Univeral for going on three years now. Nice job.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I've had good luck also

I've had good luck w/universal also. Had a pair of ss wheels built up for cheap, a couple of years ago, The hub logo and valve hole were not aligned, but it has been a good set of wheels, and a very good value. Quick shipping to WA state and no sales tax for anybody.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Great place to do business!

They are moving to NW Portland this month, I think. A bit more LBS like. I bet Fat Tire is ready to crap themselves. Mike has sold me tons of crap at great prices. The other guy who works there does a nice job too. I have been hammering a set of wheels from Univeral for going on three years now. Nice job.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo

Jaybo

they've also got the easiest navigation for browsing/shopping, bar none! thumbs up on them mofos...

Natural body armor

Slow on shipping

I agree with everything said here, the web site is great too, but they are pretty slow with shipping. It always takes them a couple days 'to ship'.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    I agree with everything said here, the web site is great too, but they are pretty slow with shipping. It always takes them a couple days 'to ship'.
    ZT
    My experience was fast with custom wheels. They needed a trueing after a few rides but I expect that. Bedding in.

Mr. P

The Uberest of Micks.
    Mike is extremely money - I bought a frame from him last year, had it within 48 hours, and got a screaming deal on it to boot. In my experience at throwing money at this sport, he's the only person in the same league as Larry at Mountain High Cyclery!

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo

Jaybo

What! no longer going to be by the airport?!? Oh well, I go to St. Helens often enough, I can swing by there easily too (not too far from King headquarters either).

Nate

Big Test Icycles
    I just picked up my new wheel set from Mike the other day. They are still movin into the new place and offer a 10% moving discount. Nice bunch of guys. Mike has great advice on wheels and responded to several of my e-mail questions. I received great service from Universal, something tells me I'll be back..

Jul 2005

Made up for my bad service

I purchased my enduro Yeti 575 from them due their price and location near PDX. But it took several visits before they had the bike completely built. I went back and they kept saying sorry and come back next week. This took place 3 times in a row week after week with the same I am sorry but we have been really busy. I was getting really ticked off at them. I was like a kid in the candy store but with no money. I was really being patient with them too. The peops in there looked miserable, like 2 persons answering phones all day one being the owner I think. Only person that looked happy was some old dude building the wheels. So a total of 3 employees servicing the whole internet.
    But they made up for the BAD service..
    They swapped out my stock Fox Float Coil shock with Fox Talas RLC. That is like a $700 fork in lieu of the stock enduro build Fox fork. I figured at least a $300-400 upgrade. NICE!!!!!

That is what I liked about them. They admitted their bad service with good customer satisfaction. Now that they are in the NW I will definitely go back.

N* Bomber Crew
    They're moving to NW? Anyone know if its gonna be a full on LBS retail store? If so peace to Fat Tire....
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Big Test Icycles
    Yep, full on lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0