Universal Cycles?- Mtbr.com
    What It Be ?

Universal Cycles?

I'm planning ordering some custom wheels from there here in about 2 weeks. XT hubs XC717 Rims DT Competetion Spokes And Black Alloy Nipples. Anyone have any idea where to get this cheaper? Speedgoat is more. Its about 311.19 with shipping. Also how long does it normally take for shipping on wheels from them?

Sep 2005
    price point has the same wheelset for $240 disc and $210 v-brake.

im currently riding on a pre-built wheelset bought from them about 5 years with NO problems.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I'd count on about a week from the time you order to the time they ship, but I suggest you give them a call for an accurate estimate. Their wheelsets are handbuilt and my understanding is that they usually build to order and don't have many pre-built in stock. I bought a wheelset from them and they were very well built.

The Pricepoint wheels are probably machine built and I don't think they use DT spokes, but you may want to aske them and confirm. I would personally spend a little bit more and get hand built wheels over machine built. My personal experience with machine built wheels was that they needed spoke tensioning when I got them .

mtbr member
    I had Universal build me a King/Mavic wheelset 3 years ago. 3000 miles later, I've trued them twice and they are rock solid. it may take a week, but you will benefit in the long run. Great wheels.

Dec 2005
    Bought set ( woodman , mavic 321 , dt comp - paid around 280$ ) from universal last year.
    Wait 16 days - from order to deliver ( to IL ) - no problem with wheels at all.

What It Be ?
    Found a better deal machine built . Got a guy down here that can retension them.

Three sheets to the wind
    Check out http://www.ride-this.com
    Vic is building a set of DH wheels for me right now...

What It Be ?
    Universal is cheaper than that. But what I found here is cheaper.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    Universal is cheaper than that. But what I found here is cheaper.
    Nothing wrong with machine built, if you are willing to retension as/if needed. I'd still recommend paying the extra money for handbuilt, but if budget is tight, I'd go the same route you are going.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    I'm planning ordering some custom wheels from there here in about 2 weeks. XT hubs XC717 Rims DT Competetion Spokes And Black Alloy Nipples. Anyone have any idea where to get this cheaper? Speedgoat is more. Its about 311.19 with shipping. Also how long does it normally take for shipping on wheels from them?
    Universal Cycles is awesome. They usually run a 10% off deal with some type of coupon code. Great place. They actually ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0