TST Ti Frames from CBO.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

TST Ti Frames from CBO.

Has anyone bought one of these. I am thinking it looks like a really good deal but I would like a first hand opinion from someone who has seen one.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I bought mine direct from TST. Slightly different design, but the welds/quality is great. I have been beating the snot out of mine for 3 years with no issues.

Ted

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for your input. What is different about the design?
    So you would say it's a good deal at $475?

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    Thanks for your input. What is different about the design?
    So you would say it's a good deal at $475?

$475 is a great deal. I bought mine back in '97 for $660. I know the guy who designed the frame. The G-frame is a slightly different design that was sold to some bike shops up in BC. The chainstays were shortened a bit to help climbing a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Cool I like short chainstays

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I"d check out iCycles, Pricepoint, and Nashbar as well because they also usually have the TST titanium frames for cheap. I don't know exact prices though.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    Cool I like short chainstays
    Just looked at the CBO website. I think the frames they have shown were made for Mongoose. The G-Man frame on the TST website is more like the frame I have. The Mongoose frames are made to their specs. However, $450 for a TST frame is still a great deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The one I have has disk brake mounts and triple bend chain and seat stays. It also had double butted front triangle and bi-ovalized down tube. Mine was the 2000 Mongoose Pro design.

The frame they have pictured is not what they are selling since the description says rim brake only and the picture shows disk brake tabs. It is most likely the 1999 Mongoose pro or the old TST design. Any way you cut it, you can't go wrong for $475.

Ted

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    The one I have has disk brake mounts and triple bend chain and seat stays. It also had double butted front triangle and bi-ovalized down tube. Mine was the 2000 Mongoose Pro design.

The frame they have pictured is not what they are selling since the description says rim brake only and the picture shows disk brake tabs. It is most likely the 1999 Mongoose pro or the old TST design. Any way you cut it, you can't go wrong for $475.

Ted
    Also, if you do want to have the options for disk brakes, I have seen the G-frames being sold for ~$550 on a few websites in the past. Currently I didn't see any out there, but I really didn't look that long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I don't care about disk brakes.
    This is gonna be for a full rigid city bike / singlespeed project that I want to be as light as possible.

Dec 2004
    Hi, I did a fair amount of sleuthing on this.

The TST/Sandvik Ti frame offered by Cambria Bikes has identical specifications with the Kona Hei Hei Titanium frame: head tube / seat tube angles and length, BB specs, tube type.

The TST website is still selling the G version of this frame with disc tabs for $999.

You can purchase the TST/Sandvik frame from Cambria and ship it off to TST in Washington to have disc brake tabs welded on for $150 + shipping. The service is not listed on their website, you will have to contact them.

So, by buying from Cambria ($450 + $150 for disc brake tabs = $600), you are still almost $400 ahead of the frames offered directly from TST.

Of course the TST G-frames have a shorter chainstay, but you have to decided if almost $400 more is worth the difference.

Overall, it is a great deal.

I nearly got one myself, but I spotted a great deal on a 2002 Merlin Mountain and decided to pay more to satisfy my vanity

Which of the two sizes left are you getting?
    The 14" or the 20" ?

-Lost81

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The 20"
    I'm 6' tall with long arms...
    Don't care about no disc mounts. Don't want them anyway.
    I just like ti frames for the ride and the lack of corrosion.
    It's gonna be a city bike for me to ride around town on and maybe commute on so the less vanity and recognition the better(for anti theft purposes.)
    My Nuke proof geary is just too blingy and expensive to leave locked outside a bar.
    My only hesitation is whether my newly adopted minimalist lifestyle allows for 2 bicycles at all.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost81
    Hi, I did a fair amount of sleuthing on this.

The TST/Sandvik Ti frame offered by Cambria Bikes has identical specifications with the Kona Hei Hei Titanium frame: head tube / seat tube angles and length, BB specs, tube type.

-Lost81
    TST has made frames for Dean, Kona, Alpine, Mongoose, Bontrager, GT and some others.