Tools...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tools...

mtbr member
    May 2007

Tools...

Anywhere that has good prices on tools? I don't need much - just a BB tools and crank tool (ISIS)

also will probably pick up a few other odds n ends - good prices on kits would be a bonus!

SuperInstigator
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    performance house brand (spin doctor)

Do It Yourself
    How about some Park Tools from your LBS? Park Tools are the gold standard for bike tools and much better quality than the Sette and Spin Doctor house brand crap. Park Tools are made in the USA in most cases by the same companies that make tools for Craftsman and other high quality tool companies. Park Tool also has a great website that details how to use the tools on your bike.

Even paying retail at the LBS shouldn't cost more than $20 total for the crank and bb tools. And they can make sure you get the right tools for the job instead of having to guess for yourself over the internet. Most ISIS cranks come with self-extracting bolts so you probably don't need any more than an 8mm allen for that, ~$5. Then it's just the bb tool which is only about $7 for the Park.

http://www.parktool.com/
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    parktool is overpriced at LBS..

20 dollars for a chainwhip, 20 dollars for a pedal wrench?

WOW nice job.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i agree, LBS (REI) seems over-priced on just about everything...

i don't need these tools to last years and a thousand bikes - they're for personal and associate use only.

thanks for pointing out pricepoint - probably go that route, although there site/host appears to be having some difficulties today...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    performance brand or nashbar. they are both having coupon sales right now

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    How about some Park Tools from your LBS? Park Tools are the gold standard for bike tools and much better quality than the Sette and Spin Doctor house brand crap. Park Tools are made in the USA in most cases by the same companies that make tools for Craftsman and other high quality tool companies. Park Tool also has a great website that details how to use the tools on your bike.

Even paying retail at the LBS shouldn't cost more than $20 total for the crank and bb tools. And they can make sure you get the right tools for the job instead of having to guess for yourself over the internet. Most ISIS cranks come with self-extracting bolts so you probably don't need any more than an 8mm allen for that, ~$5. Then it's just the bb tool which is only about $7 for the Park.

http://www.parktool.com/
    Park Tools are the gold standard, but a less expensive budget set is fine for the home mechanic.

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

One Gear
    While you're out looking, take a look at some of the tool kits that are available from the same companies. If you want those 2 now, chances are you'll want the others some other day. I bought every tool one job at a time and it looks a lot more expensive in the long run.

Members who have read this thread: 0