Sram X.7 Combo deal question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Sram X.7 Combo deal question

is the "Sram X.7 Disc Combo Kit" from blueskycycling.com ( http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Combo-Kit.htm ) a good deal? is there anything that jumps out at you and says bad? i have a baseline rockhopper and all of these components would be an upgrade but are they all worth it? are any of the included comps shitty? also, with the baseline rockhopper 07 do i need a new hub to put in disc brakes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    oh, it goes for 379.98 and includes :
    Sram X.7 Disc Combo Kit

Brakes: Avid BB7 160mm Disc Brakes

Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers

Shifters: Sram X.7 trigger shifters

Front Derailleur: Sram Gen X

Rear Derailleur: Sram X.7 (Long Cage)

Cassette: Sram 990 Cassette

Chain: Sram 991 Chain

Live fast. die younG.
    I'm a bit too lazy to go searching around the web to look at prices for ya, but I will say this. If you are trying to pinch your pennies, then you could probably go without spending money on a cassette, chain, and you could probably get away without a new front derailleur. This would perhaps lower the cost if you got the same components separately.

Cookin' in AZ
    I don't think the base Rockhopper has disc hubs so you will need new hubs. Like above you should just buy the parts you need. Why spend $400 on parts for a $500 bike. You are half way to the price of a Rockhopper Comp Disc which has upgraded shifters/der(s) and disc brakes and a (slightly) better fork (tora vs. dart) than you have now.
    This space intentionally left blank

Its got what plants crave
    I think it's a pretty good deal, but not something amazingly stupendous. If you're ballin on a budget, you could probably shop around and find parts here and there and come out for *about* the same price, and you wouldn't have to drop so much coin all at once.

Freshly Fujified

Another issue

I'm with Jim311 that the overall price is OK. I'd be curious if the products are NOS '05 and '06 models, or if they are the newer '07 product. If it's '07, I'd take it rather than having to hunt everything down. My guess is that you're probably looking at last year's goods.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Based on internet prices, it's a little discount. Just not much. I'm also assuming that they are NOT 2007 models. If they ARE 2007 models then it's a very good deal. Pay attention to what Berge said and check to see if you need to upgrade your hubs to even take advatage of the disc brakes. Your Rockhopper frame is a good foundation for an excellent bike and would be worthy of these upgrades. Some frames are not worth putting this kind of money into, but IMO, the Rockhopper is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Berge, the comp disc's components are not that good and I think I can upgrade my bike to much better stuff for about the price difference of the baseline vs comp. I had assumed the parts were 07 but I just emailed blueskycycling. Thanks for all you opinions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    upgrading is fun!
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Members who have read this thread: 0