should I pull the trigger?- Mtbr.com
    stay thirsty, my friends

should I pull the trigger?

On this . . http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?&...0&SRCCODE=1052

Eggbeaters (S model) and Answer Impact shoes for $129

I currently have shimano 545's (heavy suckers) and 661 Tiburons (good shoes but kinda heavy). Also, I messed up one of the bolts on left 545 which is preventing me from greasing it (it's squeeking). Only way to take it out would be to drill it out. There's about a 300gram difference between the eggbeaters and my heavy suckers.

How is the feel of egg beaters compared to spd? I like the idea of 'float.' Those shoes look like they'd be a nice upgrade too . . .

Man, I just finished spending 400 bucks on an HID, jersey, and tubes and about to spend 130 more

Parents say I should invest in stocks or save up for a house. I am investing . . . in myself
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

stay thirsty, my friends
    Oh . . . also just found a 10% off coupon. Total after 2day shipping and tax would be $139.
    - dino brown

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    On this . . http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?&...0&SRCCODE=1052

Eggbeaters (S model) and Answer Impact shoes for $129

How is the feel of egg beaters compared to spd? I like the idea of 'float.' Those shoes look like they'd be a nice upgrade too . . .
    I did this exact same deal about 8 months ago. I got mine for $119 with sale and coupon. I LOVE the egg beater feel compared to the SPDs. Much more distinct engagement, easier to clip out, but very secure feeling when clipped in. I popped out of my spds from time to time when climbing rough stuff, but haven't yet with the eggs.

Also, the self-cleaning ability of the eggs is great if you ride in anything messy too. The shoes are pretty good, much better than the old Shimano shoes I was using, but probably not up to something like a SIDI Dominator. Stiff soles, three buckles, that was good enough for me.

shaved yeti

119?

You are supposed to be able to get that set for $119 at any LBS (no shipping). It was a deal through answer products. If you're a deal hunter try and get them for $99!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My personal experience.

I bought Eggbeaters to replace my SPD's after hearing all the buzz about how great they were. I wasn't impressed.

In my experience, the eggbeaters are great if you want to do easy trails or XC racing. They DO NOT release easily. It really takes a lot of torque to get them unclipped. Whenever I tried them on very aggressive technical trails, it was a death wish. Whenever I needed to dab I couldn't, and would sometimes wipe out as a result. Whenever you wipe out, your bike would still be attached to your feet. Very ugly and painful when endoing down a rocky trail. The only benefit I found on difficult trails was they did not unclip if you hit an unexpected obstacle (no accidental pop-outs) and they are light weight. They eventually found their way to my road bike unless I'm riding in a XC race.

SPD's on the other hand are adjustable. So you can set the release as light or heavy as you want. On the knarly stuff, I'll take that adjustability everytime. The downside is accidental pop-outs if they are set too light, and they weigh more. But for the type of riding I like to do most, I have yet to find anything better than SPD's.

Choose your weapon according to the type of riding you do. Hope this helped.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkey
    You are supposed to be able to get that set for $119 at any LBS (no shipping). It was a deal through answer products. If you're a deal hunter try and get them for $99!
    So if I walk into a LBS that sells Answer shoes and the egg beaters, I can get both for 119?
    - dino brown

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Not my experience at all....However, the egg beaters do have a minimal amount of release adjustment in the fact the cleat can be used as either a 15 degree or 20 degree release. I started with 15, but after a while I changed to 20 and I ride loads of aggresive trails (Front Range - CO) and I've never not been able to get unclipped.

Pedals are certainly a personal preference item though, so its tough to say if they are right for you.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkey
    I've never heard of that deal, but if so its a good one. Egg Beater S sell at my local shop for about $100, so to me getting decent shoes for $20 was a bargain. I am happy at $119 for that deal, but I'd be blown away to get them for $99. If I could find them for $99, I'd probably buy another set right now.

shaved yeti

righty-o!

Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    So if I walk into a LBS that sells Answer shoes and the egg beaters, I can get both for 119?
    Yes, as per the ad in mountain bike a month ago or so.... I guess your LBS has to go and actually order the kit from Answer (and whether it's in stock or not is a different story).

Many companies do this, including 661, Answer, and Northwave. They had one on the 661 Attack shoe and the same pedal 4 months ago or so for 129...
    Last edited by bonkey; 11-11-2004 at 12:26 PM. Reason: deleted nonsensical question.

mtbr member

Save your money...

and get a set of Times. I had the Eggs and HATED them.

1. They can roll while clipping in...shooting you foot off the front
    2. The engagement is not as crisp as Time.
    3. The cleat wears out fast.
    4. You can easily come unclipped if you tag a rock/root...easier than Shimano or Time.
    5. They fall apart...
    6. No platform to use if you are unable to clip in as fast as you'd like.

need I go on?

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub

Pedals are certainly a personal preference item though, so its tough to say if they are right for you.
    This is a great point. I've had eggs for a couple of years now and like them so much I've gone to the Mallet C on my freeride/DH bike too. I have no problem clipping out and don't understand why some people do. But I've seen enough posts here to realize that eggs are not perfect for everybody. But they are perfect for me.

In my experience, the only way SPD's are easier to get out of is by accident. I got sick of accidentally pulling out of my spd's on technical climbs, so I made the switch. I'll never go back to SPD's.