Shimano XT M8000 Brakes F/R $166, other Shimano...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020

    Shimano XT M8000 Brakes F/R $166, other Shimano...

    Shimano XT M8000 Brakes F/R set $166.09 (no rotors)
    all Shimano 8% off - voucher 'SHIM8'

    I was looking for brakes, figured this decent price

    Source: Ribble in UK, free ship

    Probably set-up Moto-style, but I have to thread internally so will be disconnecting one line anyway; switching to my pref orientation
    Last edited by grandsalmon; 11-11-2015 at 04:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,995
    That's $8 cheaper than the absolute best deal I've been able to beg/borrow/steal to get!
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 11-11-2015 at 08:58 PM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maddslacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post

    Source: Ribble in UK, free ship
    You have to spend $100 to get free shipping. (Found this out when ordering a cassette and rear derailleur)

    And yes, they are moto style, but it's very easy to switch them.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    [QUOTE=maddslacker;12306197]You have to spend $100 to get free shipping. (Found this out when ordering a cassette and rear derailleur)


    I should have put the 'free ship' limit info.
    I first was looking for their revamped F derailleur (11sp), but that was wishful thinking

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,781
    Do these come with the finned pads?
    Killing it with close inspection.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Do these come with the finned pads?
    Sure LOOKS like it. They are a spitting image of my XTRs just about, though shimano and testers both proclaim more modulation; less of an 'off'/'on' feeling.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    That's $8 cheaper than the absolute best deal I've been able to beg/borrow/steal to get!
    hibike is showing 159 shipped via paypal to the US with the current exhange rate.

    Shimano XT M8000 disc brakes- kit wheel lead G02A-Resin-Pad (without disc and adapter)

  8. #8
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
    hibike is showing 159 shipped via paypal to the US with the current exhange rate.

    Shimano XT M8000 disc brakes- kit wheel lead G02A-Resin-Pad (without disc and adapter)
    Resin pad. no thanks
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Resin pad. no thanks
    Do you know the pad material/model included with the ribble one's?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Legbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,564
    Moto style +++++!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

    Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

  11. #11
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
    Do you know the pad material/model included with the ribble one's?
    For the M8000's, I do not. But from previous Ribble purchases, XT's were always non-finned, resin and weren't supplied in factory packaging (believe Ribble sells OEM components).

    I got mine state side, so they were finned, metallic and they came in the Shimano packaging with bleed blocks, olives hose barb, etc.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by 06hokiemtb View Post
    for the m8000's, i do not. But from previous ribble purchases, xt's were always non-finned, resin and weren't supplied in factory packaging (believe ribble sells oem components).

    I got mine state side, so they were finned, metallic and they came in the shimano packaging with bleed blocks, olives hose barb, etc.

    despite their picture, and omitted specs-
    these brakes come unfinned/resin/oem

    ribble can **** my ****

    Update: Anyway, I called them on incorrect photo, and not stating OEM (yes, I have got oem stuff from them before knowingly).
    Ribble said 'too busy mate'. So disputed the transaction and got refund, brakes stay w me.

    I thought vendors had stopped emitting such pert' info; ultimately product state/source, and a correct photo (or asterisk to any difference) is their responsibility, and Ribble Cycles got "lazy".

    Happily coincided w Jenson's Shimano sale, great price on metal pads -and sometimes I run a combo metal/resin anywho.
    Last edited by grandsalmon; 11-30-2015 at 03:50 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    All above said, for cyber Monday, code 'BF10'

    price comes to US$131.08

    They changed photo (non-finned resin pads)
    oem bag, moto-stylee

  14. #14
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    Ribble said 'too busy mate'. So disputed the transaction and got refund, brakes stay w me.
    Wait. You got free brakes? Or the refunded you the difference between brake pads?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    115
    he kept the brakes, got a charge back from his credit card company and is justifying his theft because of their misinformation.

    at least, that's how i read it.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Yep, the brakes stayed put. Credit card company had nothing to do w this.

    As for free, I spent 3 hours (plus alerting Ribble Cycles) just writing for the dispute: layout, evidence (& history) of this practice. So maybe a consolation; the brakes, the reward was at least them changing the picture (I now see).

    Ribble was far too cavalier when alerted to intended obfuscation vs configuration/state the brakes one was purchasing. We've all seen major internet bike sites do this, only to have to back-pedal and make corrections or denote clearly any deviation. It's not like Shimano "2016" product is peanuts.

    Theft my asss, Saving people the goddamn, um... surprise, fuk awl.

  17. #17
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,630
    At $131.xx it was worth a shot for me, so I ordered a pair.

    Thanks to whoever posted this up & the coupon code. My DH bike needed a new set of brakes.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    115
    what ever helps you sleep at night...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    63
    So I'm looking for some decent brakes, with rotors. What would people suggest here? go with something like these, switch the lines around and buy rotors + all the shimano bleed tools?

    Or just find a set in the orientation that I want, with rotors? anyone seen any good deals on that?

  20. #20
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,995
    switching the lines takes 1 beer, if you're taking your time

    And, you're going to have to crack new brake lines anyway when you trim them to fit your bike... so 'moto' orientation doesn't matter at all

    You can actually do a 'bleed' without the funnel when shortening the hoses.

    - Before you cut the line, pump the brakes just a couple times (with the pads out), so the pistons move out some from the caliper.
    - trim the lines, keeping the levers horizontal (or hose end up) at all times and the end of the hose pointed straight up (use tape or zip ties to hold it in place)
    - install a new olive and insert
    - install fresh hose end into the lever and tighten the jamb screw
    - use a plastic tire lever to gently push the pistons back into the caliper (gently!) They'll quickly get to resistance as the system is now slightly over filled
    - use an allen key to release the 'pressure' in the system, by removing the top cap on the lever (some fluid is going to squirt/ooze out, have a rag ready)

    Assuming you keep the levers horizontal (or hose end up) and the end of the hose pointed straight up, basically no air will be introduced into the system

    I've done exactly this, in a hotel room, while installing new brakes the night before a weekend of riding. Worked great.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by typo View Post
    what ever helps you sleep at night...
    Would I rather not dispute, and get what I ordered? You bet.

    Otherwise "read" into it what ever you want. By the findings of the dispute I don't return the item, and that's by Paypal's direction. My disagreement only helps those people get what they see & read for purchase in Ribble adjusting their advert. My mores are straight.

    Now REREAD first sentence to undoubtedly answer what's plainly going to be your immoveable, starved knee-jerk reaction.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    switching the lines takes 1 beer, if you're taking your time

    And, you're going to have to crack new brake lines anyway when you trim them to fit your bike... so 'moto' orientation doesn't matter at all

    You can actually do a 'bleed' without the funnel when shortening the hoses.

    - Before you cut the line, pump the brakes just a couple times (with the pads out), so the pistons move out some from the caliper.
    - trim the lines, keeping the levers horizontal (or hose end up) at all times and the end of the hose pointed straight up (use tape or zip ties to hold it in place)
    - install a new olive and insert
    - install fresh hose end into the lever and tighten the jamb screw
    - use a plastic tire lever to gently push the pistons back into the caliper (gently!) They'll quickly get to resistance as the system is now slightly over filled
    - use an allen key to release the 'pressure' in the system, by removing the top cap on the lever (some fluid is going to squirt/ooze out, have a rag ready)

    Assuming you keep the levers horizontal (or hose end up) and the end of the hose pointed straight up, basically no air will be introduced into the system

    I've done exactly this, in a hotel room, while installing new brakes the night before a weekend of riding. Worked great.
    Great, thank you, really helpfull. Maybe I'll grab these then. Anything will be better than the avid J3's i'm on now.

  23. #23
    Just hit it with speed
    Reputation: GFisher2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    479
    I came here to say that mine shipped moto without barb and olive, spent another 5 bucks purchasing them.

    Painful to see $25.00 cheaper, but oh well, still cheaper then nearly anywhere else when I got them for $157.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    115
    why not send the brakes back? paypal isn't paying them for the brakes. you're using paypal to steal.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by typo View Post
    why not send the brakes back? paypal isn't paying them for the brakes. you're using paypal to steal.
    You just don't get it.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    115
    i do actually. i have been on that end of paypal taking money out of my account to pay back someone with a ******** complaint. i ended up out of the item i sold and the money i sold it for.

    how is that not stealing?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Because Ribble paid me, for reasons way above -read them. The decision to escalate was their prerogative. They knew what they were displaying wasn't correct, & thus changed.
    Paypal only allowed us to communicate, check & correct such things, period. A prepaid RMA would have sufficed. A refund wasn't the goal, nor even mentioned. Get it?

    My lord you're not grasping the context at all, and I see just pissed at buyers/Paypal as your own historical whole.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by scurry4 View Post
    So I'm looking for some decent brakes, with rotors. What would people suggest here? go with something like these, switch the lines around and buy rotors + all the shimano bleed tools?

    Or just find a set in the orientation that I want, with rotors? anyone seen any good deals on that?
    Chain Reaction Cycles has killer deals on Formula brakes right now. T1s for $130/set with rotors, R1x for $115 with rotors, RX for $110 with rotors. These are all for both front and rear brakes. You wont find anything with that level of performance for less!
    Killing it with close inspection.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    Because Ribble paid me, for reasons way above -read them. The decision to escalate was their prerogative. They knew what they were displaying wasn't correct, & thus changed.
    Paypal only allowed us to communicate, check & correct such things, period. A prepaid RMA would have sufficed. A refund wasn't the goal, nor even mentioned. Get it?

    My lord you're not grasping the context at all, and I see just pissed at buyers/Paypal as your own historical whole.
    Yeah, I don't blame you, just wish you had done it sooner. There really is no cost savings compared to other deals with these, since they ship moto style, but don't include olives and bards. In additional the finned metal pads are more expensive (not included).

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Shimano M8000 XT brakes
    By mo6500 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 304
    Last Post: 12-07-2018, 08:37 AM
  2. Shimano announces XT 1x11 (M8000)
    By HSracer in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: 07-30-2016, 03:23 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2015, 03:32 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM
  5. M8000 Shimano Components?
    By Nash04 in forum Components
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.