Shimano at Blue Sky Cycling- Mtbr.com
    Ow!

Shimano at Blue Sky Cycling

Blue Sky seems to have at present numerous deals on some Shimano drivetrain components (not just SLX cranks, which are still at good prices). I purchased some unnecessary upgrades because I thought the prices were so good.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Do a search on Blue Sky. They're cheap, and you do eventually get your stuff in my experience. And that's the best I can say for them.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    I found some great deals and asked Jenson to price match. This is what they said.

Sorry, we cannot match prices with Bluesky Cycling on Shimano product. Bluesky is selling OEM product without packaging (not the same as our new product) without disclosing this to the consumer. The Jenson USA item you are requesting a match on is brand new in Shimano retail packaging with USA warranty.

Just in case anyone cares.

bi-winning
    Shipping to Canada really cuts away the savings, unless placing a larger order. The product prices are fantastic though.

I have not used Bluesky in a while, do they still have issues backordering stuff that appears to be in stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58 View Post
    Do a search on Blue Sky. They're cheap, and you do eventually get your stuff in my experience. And that's the best I can say for them.
    I put Bluesky Cycling in the search box, and it only delivered this thread... I guess search is broken.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've had nothing but good luck with Blue Sky. Shipping has been good and pretty much everything has been in proper retail Shimano boxes (except me XT brakes and I knew beforehand that they were OEM).
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Everything I've ever ordered from BS has been received the next day. I'm local. Does OEM have the same warranty? Sometimes it's stated, sometimes it's not concerning OEM. Highly recommended.

Ow!
    Received my stuff from Blue Sky 1/17. It is not in the boxes, so seems to be OEM. Fast shipping. Ordered on a Thursday, USPS tried to deliver to my business address on Saturday.

I checked the Shimano sites regarding warranty and OEM. No info, so I will find out if something goes wrong within the warranty period. Of course, likely nothing will go wrong (oops, shouldn't have written that).

I checked the available prices of the items again (US only, seems some GB or Germany companies have them fairly cheap). I did save a bit, especially on the shifters.

HAHA PWN
    I wish they would disclose that it's an OEM, but damn that price is hard to beat. And Shimano stuff is pretty solid.

Ow!
    It is even harder to beat now. They now have Shimano XT T781 crankset for $130. What is the difference between T781 and M780 (now at $210)? I think it is only that the T has a 44t ring and the M has a 42t. The T might be the way to go if you have a FD that can handle a 44t or will just be using a bash instead (which I will likely install). I paid $180 for the M, but would have jumped on the T if it was that low. Oh well.

And, yes, it is likely OEM.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I found some great deals and asked Jenson to price match. This is what they said.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/27shlk6" vspale=0></iframe>
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>

Sorry, we cannot match prices with Bluesky Cycling on Shimano product. Bluesky is selling OEM product without packaging (not the same as our new product) without disclosing this to the consumer. The Jenson USA item you are requesting a match on is brand new in Shimano retail packaging with USA warranty.

Just in case anyone cares.
    Is the quality of the product any different if its OEM

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker View Post
    Is the quality of the product any different if its OEM
    No, the product is identical except it doesn't come in the large retail boxes. I prefer the OEM packaging because I have to recycle less.

Receiving the OEM version is the same as getting the retail version because once it is on your bike, it performs the same way.

The only difference in OEM and retail usually is in regards to forks. Rock Shox forks are often slightly different like a Lyrik R which is not available at retail.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I too wish that Bluesky would identify their items as OEM. It prolly wouldn't have made a difference and I would have still bought it because of the great prices, but still, the consumer should know beforehand.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by leggatt View Post
    No, the product is identical except it doesn't come in the large retail boxes. I prefer the OEM packaging because I have to recycle less.
    Yes, I have no need for big bulky packaging. I recently purchased an XT derailleur (not from Bluesky) and it came in a plastic bag. Perfect.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    It is even harder to beat now. They now have Shimano XT T781 crankset for $130. What is the difference between T781 and M780 (now at $210)? I think it is only that the T has a 44t ring and the M has a 42t. The T might be the way to go if you have a FD that can handle a 44t or will just be using a bash instead (which I will likely install). I paid $180 for the M, but would have jumped on the T if it was that low. Oh well.

And, yes, it is likely OEM.
    The 781 has an aluminum middle ring. I think the 780 has the steel/carbon middle ring.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Crank length 170. I ride 175. I really cannot see that I could tell the difference?

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Crank length 170. I ride 175. I really cannot see that I could tell the difference?
    probably not if you're shorter than average.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Good sale back up. SLX 2x9 or 3x9 for $110.

Also saw a Topeak Mini 18 for $17, some nice stems too. A couple of WTB 29" rims for $25 + B1G1.

I got my Stylos from them. They were take offs but WELL worth it. Had square tapers that were HORRIBLE!
    Last edited by Koppuh Klyde; 04-13-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spellin'
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Its got what plants crave
    The only bad thing I have to say is that I did order 3 or 4 items one time and virtually everything I ordered was backordered. I think they still called me or emailed me to let me know. I've had lots of other good experiences with them though. Recently bought some cross tires for dirt cheap from them.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have ordered bike parts from most of the big online shops and I would rank them in this order as far as fast shipping and communication:

1. chain reaction
    2. jensonusa
    3. blue sky
    4. universal cycles
    5. performance/nashbar
    6. tree fort

chain reaction wins out because I didn't think it would be possible to get items from the UK to Utah in 3 days, but it was perfect.

Jenson had given me a tracking number for my order less than 2 hours after the order was placed, and the items arrived exactly when they said they would.

Blue sky, no order has taken over 3 days from order time to parts being at my door.

Universal shipped fast and free, but getting hit with sales tax kinda killed it for me, especially when they don't offer free pickup from their Utah warehouse. Items came from Oregon and were at my house in 3 days.

Performance/Nashbar, took 2 days just to charge my card, another day before the items were shipped out, and 3 more days after that to receive the items

Tree Fort, Took them a week to even ship my items when their website said all the items were in stock. Took another 4 days after that to receive the items. They won't be getting my business anymore.