Randall Scott - NOT 100% Satisfaction. Watch out for 15% restocking fee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Randall Scott - NOT 100% Satisfaction. Watch out for 15% restocking fee

I ordered from Randall Scott and was surprised to find a 15% restocking fee when they advertise 100% Satisfaction. Who's going to be 100% satisfied losing 15%? I never knowingly order from companies that have restocking charges.

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.I/id.6/.f
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Well you must not have read their return/exchange policy http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.I/id.11/.f. It says right there that returned items will be charged a %15 restocking fee. This is usually the case with most companies that sell bikes online. You really must do your homework before buying online and always read the fine print!

STINKY TOFU
    His point is a restocking fee dosnt is contradictory to a 100% promise.
    Now Nashbar has a 100% guarantee as they just dont cover return shipping.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, from what I have read, not that many very happy with RS.

And that is a great point, 100% satisfaction vs. 15% restocking....hmmm

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I acknowledge that I should have read all the fine print. However my dissatisfaction with Randall Scott is that they are intentionally misleading consumers to claim 100% Satisfaction. It worked on me, I didn't read further.
    2 wheels

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    A claim like "100% Satisfaction" is obviously not supposed to be taken literally. It's like the ads that say if you drink Beer X, you will pull all the chicks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    A claim like "100% Satisfaction" is obviously not supposed to be taken literally...:
    Don't take it literally, what is 100% Satisfaction supposed to mean then!
    2 wheels

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    Don't take it literally, what is 100% Satisfaction supposed to mean then!
    Visa had the slogan “It's everywhere you want to be." Would you be completely shocked if the newspaper seller on a street corner refused to take Visa for a pack of gum?

It's advertisng. It's not real. What part of this is difficult to understand?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's like the lawyer vs the drycleaners lawsuit this week. The judge said the lawyer did not deserve $54 million because the cleaners lost his pants, even though they had a sign that said "Satisfaction Guaranteed".

Who would've guessed?

mtbr member
    My take is that 100% satisfaction simply means that, if you are not satisfied for whatever reason, they will take it back, as opposed to other sellers that do not allow any returns.

The 15% restocking fee is a separate policy, clearly stated.

Ant

On MTBR hiatus :(
    At first glance I thought Art was being a little whiny because, as discussed, the restocking fee is disclosed on their website.

But I visited the link he provided, and I understand his point:

<font color="blue">100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED

Randall Scott Cycle Company’s number one goal is to make sure you are 100% satisfied with every purchase you make. We wholeheartedly strive to maintain the best customer service and support in the industry. We know you have a choice in where you shop and we sincerely appreciate your business. <b>If you are not completely satisfied with the items you have purchased from Randall Scott Cycle Company, simply give us a call. <i>We will accept returns within 30 days from the date of your invoice for a <u>refund</u>, replacement, or credit.</i></b> (Please see our customer service section for additional information).</font>

It does read as a "no questions asked, return it if you don't like it" store policy. I guess, at the least, I'd expect an asterisk after the word "refund", with a brief explanation or hyperlink to the relevant policy.

In general, I have no problem with a restocking fee if disclosed. For instance, I buy from aebike.com all the time. I appreciate the cost savings, selection and efficiency of their operation, and the 15% restocking fee is clearly disclosed.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    My take is that 100% satisfaction simply means that, if you are not satisfied for whatever reason, they will take it back, as opposed to other sellers that do not allow any returns.

The 15% restocking fee is a separate policy, clearly stated.

Ant
    But as the original poster asked, who in his right mind is going to be 100% satisfied with 85% of his money back? I'd be 100% unsatisfied, which is exactly what I've been in my limited dealings with R.S. Cycle.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Those prices are dope Like the item of the week, Yakuza Kumicho for 975?! That is real cheap! Does he have these prices every week for bikes?

Don't touch me!
    Just to be 100% clear, the 15% restocking fee applies only to orders returned for refund. The customer can receive 100% value in the form of store credit or in the case of an exchange.

I'm not a big fan of their perpetual sales... I hate those marketing types. Reminds me of those oriental rug stores that are always having going out of business sales, but never do. Prefer AEBike's more "honest" approach; cut out the b.s. (!= bike shop) and give it to me like it is.
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

STINKY TOFU
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    Reminds me of those oriental rug stores that are always having going out of business sales, but never do.....
    Just as bad as the "GRAND OPENING SALE" signs. There was a furniture store nearby that had that sign up for over a year.

(Please see our customer service section for additional information)
    Its wording like that that you have to watch out for. Easy to miss, but its a typical practice from a lot of retailers. Still dosnt take away the sting from a 15% restocking fee especially if its a big ticket item. Totally legit but also a great way to piss off possible return customers though.
    Last edited by dragonhead08; 07-06-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0