Pros closet dt xm 350 wheelset<$350- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Pros closet dt xm 350 wheelset<$350

https://www.theproscloset.com/collec...ountain-wheels

Saw these today and ordered a pair of the 29ers. Incredible price for a dt swiss xm build with dt 350 hubs.

**these come with the 18 tooth ratchet**
    Last edited by Poprockz; 1 Week Ago at 04:32 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Dang. Wish you'd posted this yesterday.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Sorry bud

Wish it would have come sooner myself...not much worse than my personal custom build but 300 bucks cheaper.

Could have nearly gotten 2sets for what I paid for my spanks with dt350s and Sapim d lights.

At least my wife Will be getting a huge upgrade from her wtb freq i23 rims on formula hubs!

Can you cancel your order from yesterday?

B.Ike
    skeptical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Don't see why youd be skeptical they have a return policy if you get them and something isn't right.

Ill let ya know Tuesday how they look though

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Pros Closet is legit. I have ordered several things from them. They do a great job of describing their items and noting damage, etc. there shouldnít be any surprises from them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Keep in mind there is $50 shipping charge, so really $400 (or more if taxed).

Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    They do a great job of describing their items and noting damage, etc. .
    Except in this case they can't be bothered to note the type of spoke or nipples used in the build. Butted or straight gauge? Brass or alloy?

But thankfully not as bad as Chainreaction, who constantly list wheels and rims without even noting their spoke count, or axle type, or width, etc.

I'm generally OK w/ Pros Closet but they do have a few irritating elements. Like forcing you to register an account before you can see their shipping charges.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Shipping was only 25 for me, not sure why you had to pay 50.

Surely you can contact them about those components of the build and find out if it's a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Just put in the leg work and sent them an email...I'll let you know about the spokes and nips as well as star ratchet when they reply. Safe to say probably 18t ratchet though.

Land of the 230+
    Thats a stupidly good deal on the 27.5 i35 wheelset. I have too many wheels though! Trying.... To.... Resistttt.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I'm generally OK w/ Pros Closet but they do have a few irritating elements. Like forcing you to register an account before you can see their shipping charges.
    Most everything is also listed on their ebay store, which has shipping prices clearlylisted:
    Great deals from The Pro's Closet in New-Home | eBay Stores

As an added plus, you can use cashback sites and ebay coupons that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Most everything is also listed on their ebay store, which has shipping prices clearlylisted:
    Great deals from The Pro's Closet in New-Home | eBay Stores

As an added plus, you can use cashback sites and ebay coupons that way.
    One caution if considering eBay vs direct/PC . . . since January, eBay has begun adding tax for a LOT of states that implemented marketplace tax laws. So some folks will face an uphill battle through eBay. On the same wheelset, thru eBay shipping is $49 and tax is $35, but thru the PC website shipping is $25 and tax is zero (for me in WA state).

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ordered a plus set for $254 otd. Thereís a code for 1st order which basically eliminates shipping charge. Thx for posting! I had my eye on carbon but damn $250 for dt350?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    Ordered a plus set for $254 otd. Thereís a code for 1st order which basically eliminates shipping charge. Thx for posting! I had my eye on carbon but damn $250 for dt350?
    Glad to see someone else getting in on the deal. I considered getting that Wheelset along with the 29ers, but the wife wouldn't have been too happy haha.

That i35 is honestly such a versatile size for 2.8 down to as low as 2.4s.

mtbr member
    Ordered the XM 421 29" set, couldnt believe the price since I was quote around $600 from my local wheelbuilder.

And then notice the XM521 27.5+" set for $250! Ended up with two pairs for the price I was about to pay for one.

Nice post OP!

mtbr member
    Dam..they have a killer deal on some 29r Reynolds carbon wheels ($499). Good if you're racing XC.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Whatís the code?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

What's the normal value of these wheels? Their intended disciplines? I'm in the very initial stages of a new build. I haven't gotten to wheels yet, but if these are a crazy deal I might as well pick them up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Price from a lot of custom builders for builds using those rims and hubs are usually in the 600 range, as noted earlier. Some builders charge more and some a little less.

The wheels are purposed for trail and all mountain. The only issue with these builds is not knowing what spokes they are built with...and at a $200 savings, I wouldn't sweat it. I have shot them an email about the spokes though.

honestly if your building anything less than a full dh rig and more than a weight weenie c.f. bike, you really should probably grab a pair of these. The build and price are that good. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sincerely appreciate the insight. I grabbed a set of the 27.5. Considering getting another set of 29" as well because I'm not sure which tire size I'll build yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just realized these are SRAM XD hubs. I ride pretty much exclusively single speed and I only have experience converting Shimano hubs. What's the best way for these?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Any advice on the I backcountry 450's they are selling? Currently have 2 year old wtb i45 scraper with origin 8 hubs on my krampus (almost 2000 miles on this setup). Was looking to upgrade my wheels. Worth the upgrade at $550?
    Last edited by big_stoke; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:27 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JcConnell View Post
    I just realized these are SRAM XD hubs. I ride pretty much exclusively single speed and I only have experience converting Shimano hubs. What's the best way for these?
    Shouldn't be too hard to Google free hub bodies for dt swiss 350 hubs.

Rent this space for $
    29'r i25 width? Ain't nobody got no time for dat!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    29'r i25 width? Ain't nobody got no time for dat!
    Would have preferred 30s...but for the average rider, i25 is more than fine

Rent this space for $
    Have i30. Need i35. Wishful thinking!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Have i30. Need i35. Wishful thinking!
    Can't lie, pretty jealous that 27.5er has all the options haha

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    After jumping onto the wide rim craze, I find myself going back to slightly narrower rims in the 25-27mm inner range. For the 2.5-2.4 tires I run, I just find them faster and they track better.

You can run SS on an XD hub. Search for Problem Solvers Zinger.

mtbr member
    Maybe someone said this already but...only 28 hole.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Just received this response from the pros closet. Not super detailed answer but it's something.

"Hi there,

I hope you are having a wonderful day!

This wheelset has the 54 tooth ratchet system and has aluminum spokes and nipples.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
    Taylor
    Customer Experience"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Poprockz View Post
    This wheelset has the 54 tooth ratchet system and has aluminum spokes and nipples.
    Aluminum spokes my a$s. Makes you wonder if they can even count the ratchet clicks.
    But I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do ship w/ 54T ratchet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    54 would be great, Iím just happy to have some hubs that donít pop and snap when you look at em wrong.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I doubt the claims myself. Wheelset will be here today so if I can I'll try and check

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Received the 29er wheelset today. Was packaged very well for sure, much better than the Wheelset I received from a custom builder previously.

Wheels are beautiful and in New condition, undoubtedly. Tape job looks machine applied, makes me wonder if they got these from dt swiss direct or some warehouse that got rid of them.

Now for worse news. They are 18 tooth and not the 54 that you closet told me. It isn't terrible news but does mean that I was lied to by the pros closet. Not sure how I can check the material of the spokes and nips to see if they are aluminum like claimed by tpc.

I forgot to order some valve stems like a doofus and I'm still waiting on a front tire to get here. Can't air them up till that happens.

For $375 shipped, I have definitely gotten an amazing deal. Tpc needs to get their cs together and answer emails more accurately though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thx for the update! Ha, 54t was a long shot!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thx for the update! Ha, 54t was a long shot!
    Agreed

Rent this space for $
    Have them meet you halfway on a star rat-shit conversion?! Or they can pay to ship them back....

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I bought the Wheelset before I asked the question. I'm not the type to try and get free stuff all the time for No reason...

You wear a neck brace after a fender bender for more insurance money? Not my style.

I suppose I could send them back and have mikesee build me the same wheels for twice the price...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not sure how I can check the material of the spokes and nips to see if they are aluminum like claimed by tpc.
    An easy way to check the spokes: are they a unique Industry Nine wheelset? An aging Mavic road wheeset? No? OK then, they are steel. 99.9% of bike spokes are steel.

Silver nipples will be shiny/nickel-coated if brass, and dull silver if alloy.

Spoke butting is best tested w/ a caliper, though its not hard to feel if you know what you're looking for. Wheelsmith spokes have obvious rapid butt transitions, but these DT spokes have a longer transition and aren't visually obvious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    An easy way to check the spokes: are they a unique Industry Nine wheelset? An aging Mavic road wheeset? No? OK then, they are steel. 99.9% of bike spokes are steel.

Silver nipples will be shiny/nickel-coated if brass, and dull silver if alloy.

Spoke butting is best tested w/ a caliper, though its not hard to feel if you know what you're looking for. Wheelsmith spokes have obvious rapid butt transitions, but these DT spokes have a longer transition and aren't visually obvious.
    Nips are shiney not dull and spokes seem to obviously be steel. Ratchet is 18 tooth. That clears it up for those interested. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Final update, messaged back tpc about the wheels and correcting them about the teeth on the ratchet so they don't tell anyone else wrongly.

They refunded me 50 dollars and sent me an apology without me asking for it. Customer service was looking rough but the follow up was A+.

mtbr member
    Final update, messaged back tpc about the wheels and correcting them about the teeth on the ratchet so they don't tell anyone else wrongly.

They refunded me 50 dollars and sent me an apology without me asking for it. Customer service was looking rough but the follow up was A+.
    Take that $50 and your half way to 54t ratchet kit.

Have my 2 sets coming in on Friday, will also report out condition and number of ratchet teeth. If its just the standard 18t, not the end of the world especially that this price point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Take that $50 and your half way to 54t ratchet kit.

Have my 2 sets coming in on Friday, will also report out condition and number of ratchet teeth. If its just the standard 18t, not the end of the world especially that this price point.
    Appreciate the follow up, feel free to post pictures...I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post those yet.

Hard fighting the urge for the 27.5 set at 250 bucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    My 27.5+ wheels showed up today. Really fast shipping glad TPC uses fedex. Ups would be quite a bit longer ime. Unbox tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Received my XM421 29" and XM521 27.5+ wheelsets today

Shipping was fast, ordered on Saturday, out their door on Monday, here on Friday per FedEx.

One box had the big hole with end cap sticking out. Didnt have a large circular end to prevent that from happening.

Condition of the 29" wheelset - Perfect! Brand new. Tape was perfect. Right amount of grease on the 18 tooth freehub. Put on the bike, spins and straight as an arrow.

Condition of the 27.5"+ wheelset - Brand new. Tape on one rim was not perfect on the hole overlap. Sadly 18 tooth ratchet. Put on bike, rear had slight pull, fixed in 2mins.

Neither came with valves, make sure to order those separately.

For the price, great deal especially the 27.5+ set.

[EDIT - Emailed Pros Closet about the typo on their website, they are offering $50 credit. Good CS! ]

Last edited by OttaCee; 1 Week Ago at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Received my XM421 29" and XM521 27.5+ wheelsets today

Shipping was fast, ordered on Saturday, out their door on Monday, here on Friday per FedEx.

One box had the big hole with end cap sticking out. Didnt have a large circular end to prevent that from happening.

Condition of the 29" wheelset - Perfect! Brand new. Tape was perfect. Right amount of grease on the 18 tooth freehub. Put on the bike, spins and straight as an arrow.

Condition of the 27.5"+ wheelset - Brand new. Tape on one rim was not perfect on the hole overlap. Sadly 18 tooth ratchet. Put on bike, rear had slight pull, fixed in 2mins.

Neither came with valves, make sure to order those separately.

For the price, great deal especially the 27.5+ set.

[EDIT - Emailed Pros Closet about the typo on their website, they are offering $50 credit. Good CS! ]

I saw no typo on the website, what are you referring to?

mtbr member
    I saw no typo on the website, what are you referring to?
    For the DT Swiss XM421 product info page, in the FAQs this question was asked: How many teeth on the star ratchet?

Response from Pros Closet: Thank you so much for reaching out to us! We appreciate your interest in the DT Swiss XM421 350 Alloy Tubeless 29" Wheelset. This wheelset has the 54 tooth ratchet system.

Emailed them about it, they apologized and offered a $50 credit. Also asked them to update the page so it doesn't mislead people. Its been fixed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    For the DT Swiss XM421 product info page, in the FAQs this question was asked: How many teeth on the star ratchet?

Response from Pros Closet: Thank you so much for reaching out to us! We appreciate your interest in the DT Swiss XM421 350 Alloy Tubeless 29" Wheelset. This wheelset has the 54 tooth ratchet system.

Emailed them about it, they apologized and offered a $50 credit. Also asked them to update the page so it doesn't mislead people. Its been fixed.
    That must have been added after my emails with them initially. Wasnt there when I purchased mine, good to know, cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    18t on my xm521 wheelset. Not surprised, packaging was borderline incompetently done. Definitely those plastic discs should have been used.
    No damage and they look true.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pros closet dt xm 350 wheelset&lt;0-5435e9fc-c9af-4c6a-85a5-760b7b920462.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    18t on my xm521 wheelset. Not surprised, packaging was borderline incompetently done. Definitely those plastic discs should have been used.
    No damage and they look true.
    Odd...mine came with foam taped around both rims and the plastic axle things on each wheel...maybe I got a guy that likes his job or maybe he was having a bad day when he packaged y'alls...interesting

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Def happy with purchase. Lemme gouge em for $50 on the hub, not.... overall a good buy and will order from pros closet again. Thx to OP!!!