Performance Bikes sucks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Performance Bikes sucks

I work for performance and i can tell you one thing: performance is to bikes as walmart is to the general store. They pay their employees nothing and undersell the competition by buying in massive bulk from Pacific Bicycles (the distributor of mongoose, schwinn, gt). At the store i work they even mark up the prices to employees trying to make pro-deals. In almost all cases i prefer independently owned bike stores to performance. I want to help out customers and get them what they want (whether it be from my store or somewhere else), but sometimes this effort is impeded by my managers' desires to meet corporate sales goals and investor interests. The store manager is a heartless "sales goal" minded machine. He is nice to customers and upsells them stuff they don't need. When he is interacting with employees he is a complete ass. Same with the assistant sales manager. The district manager is an ever bigger jerk and hangs up the phone on me if i don't give him the response he likes to hear. On top of all of this the store operates on a big lie. There are constantly sales. The fact that there are always sales undermines the entire point of the sale itself. If things in the store are always on sale, why have the sale at all? It is basically lying to customers. Performance looks good if you are only paying attention to prices. But those prices are at the expense of north american bicycle manufacturing and honesty. If possible, support your local bike shop. If you buy from performance, you are buying from a heartless corporate machine.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Feel better now? LOL.

Surfing trails
    I don't know about being heartless but I do agree that they are a mass market corporate machine that is rapidly becoming the ugly Wal-Mart of the bicycle world. I am not too far from their Carrboro store and corporate headquarters and occasionally I stop in the store just to see what's going on and how cheaply they have stuff I don't normally want discounted. However I did buy a cheap pair of sunglasses there last summer because they were marked down to $5 and I had left mine at home that day. At least the sun didn't give me a headache driving back.

Here are some of my Performance retail store impressions and past experiences:

• They must have a revolving door because I have never seen the same employees twice. This may be because it's a college town but they never even have the same managers from week to week. That may also be why I see them advertising for local retail sales / managers all the time.

• You can't buy anything there (not even a $1.00 plastic tire lever, or $5 sunglasses) without them trying to sell you on their wonderful Team Performance discount program. I watched a lady there one evening get upset and leave because the sales clerk was shoving the $30 program down her throat and she had had enough. She left her merchandise on the counter and just left without buying it. She was livid! Maybe she'd had a bad day already, who knows? You have to spend a ton of money there (hint) to get any decent Team Performance savings and if you end up spending the "saved" money there in the future thanks to the Team points rebates then you didn't "save" any money at all, you just spent a different amount with them. Regardless, Performance got your dollars.

• They have their own house brands - Performance, Forte', Tirreno, Scattante, (may be others?) that they tend to push above all other brands. I can understand that, if I had invested in my own brands I would try to sell them too. Problem is, I don't want their brands and I doubt I ever will. However, a big bulk of their customer base must buy them or they wouldn't still make / sell them, correct?

• Speaking of brands, I like and I sell the brands that I think are well worth the money spent (Magura, HOPE, Industry Nine, FOX, Hadley, etc.). Premium brands. But Performance doesn't offer these brands (except the occasional FOX fork on display) because the vast majority of their customers don't have the need, knowledge of, or bicycle budget for these brands. That suits me just fine, after all Wal-Mart doesn't sell the top of the line brands in their departments either. They know their customer base and they know that their customer base is mainly made up of beginner bike riders, and riders that mainly ride their bike around the yard, the campus, or the neighborhood. There are exceptions ofcourse. I completely understand that, and they do too, that's who they cater to and it works very well for them.

• I don't want to sound like I hate the place - I don't at all. I just hate their Wal-Mart-like way of doing things. What gripes me is they are so big that they can offer very low prices but they can't afford to hire salespeople that know anything about bike parts (no offense nashphyl). Case in point; about a year ago I needed an E-type front derailleur for an emergency repair and I didn't have time to order one. I swung by Performance since I had to meet someone in Chapel Hill that night anyway and the manager said "we don't have E-type derailleurs, we only carry Shimano and they quit making those kind of derailleurs last year." So I walked over to the Shimano display and pointed it out to him, a nice shiny XT E-type front derailleur. I also pointed out the SRAM derailleurs in the other case just to clue him in to the fact that they carried other manufacturer's derailleurs too. He was the MANAGER!!! Then I was furious over how ignorant he was and how arrogant he was acting and I left and went down a few blocks to the other bike shop on that street and bought one. Turns out they had it in stock AND it was cheaper than at Performance, imagine that.

• In all fairness they do have a fairly competent service guy (if he still works there). Once I had a frame bottom bracket shell faced and chased there because my Park tool was loaned out and I had to get the frame done that day. He did a great job and the guy was very nice and really knew his stuff. Would be nice if all of the employees there were like that.

....just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    While looking for another bike shop, I ran across a Performance Bike store and stopped in. Both my wife and I didnt get a good vibe. I spent about 3 mins there. Went to the(independent) shop we was originally looking for and spent 2 hours trying out bikes. Got my eye on a Specialized FSRXC.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ncktm
    While looking for another bike shop, I ran across a Performance Bike store and stopped in. Both my wife and I didnt get a good vibe. I spent about 3 mins there. Went to the(independent) shop we was originally looking for and spent 2 hours trying out bikes. Got my eye on a Specialized FSRXC.
    Funny....just walked the other into a Performance shop for the first time in my life and I had the exact same vibe!
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree on their employee's lack of knowledge and constant turnover. But I have to say they have incredible deals on a regular basis online...especially when you add a coupon code. There was just a post on here a few weeks ago about XTR 970 cranksets for $299 minus a 10% coupon for purchases over $250 and if you were a Team member and bought at the right time, you got 25% back in points. Now thats a steal! I'm a shop guy too and many times they have deals way lower than QBP prices. Plus,keep in mind, they do have a 100% money back guarantee. I can't tell you how many customers I have that won't buy gloves, jerseys, shorts, sidis, derailleurs.....from us because they can keep on returning their used ones to Performance and get new replacements!

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by nashphyl
    I work for performance and i can tell you one thing: performance is to bikes as walmart is to the general store. They pay their employees nothing and undersell the competition by buying in massive bulk from Pacific Bicycles (the distributor of mongoose, schwinn, gt). At the store i work they even mark up the prices to employees trying to make pro-deals. In almost all cases i prefer independently owned bike stores to performance. I want to help out customers and get them what they want (whether it be from my store or somewhere else), but sometimes this effort is impeded by my managers' desires to meet corporate sales goals and investor interests. The store manager is a heartless "sales goal" minded machine. He is nice to customers and upsells them stuff they don't need. When he is interacting with employees he is a complete ass. Same with the assistant sales manager. The district manager is an ever bigger jerk and hangs up the phone on me if i don't give him the response he likes to hear. On top of all of this the store operates on a big lie. There are constantly sales. The fact that there are always sales undermines the entire point of the sale itself. If things in the store are always on sale, why have the sale at all? It is basically lying to customers. Performance looks good if you are only paying attention to prices. But those prices are at the expense of north american bicycle manufacturing and honesty. If possible, support your local bike shop. If you buy from performance, you are buying from a heartless corporate machine.
    Ha! That rant could have come from any frontline employee at Performance, Staples, Best Buy, or any other national corporate chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The guys at my local SF performance seem knowledgable and the manager is cool. I pricematch everything, redphone in orders they don't have in store for free shipping. On the 25% back day a week ago I got:

Thomson Stem PM'd to $64
    Ultegra cassette for 54
    A performance elite jersey with coupon was 29
    Conti ultra gator tires PM'd to 25 each (cheaper than their employee discount apparently)

and a few other odds and ends. Total came to about 300 and used the 25 dollars off 250, the 25% off the ultra jersey as I said, and the 25% back, which came to 80 dollars. Used that to get a Terry Fly saddle for free. I think the guys that work there hate me lol cause I'm a pricematching/coupon machine.

thats right living legend
    I wish I had a Performance where I live. When I'm in a town that does I load up on tubes, and they have great deals on tires alot too.

If I tried to load up on tubes or something like that from an LBS I'd be broke. Doesn't really matter to me how knowledgable they are... I have the knowledg.

Doesn't bother me one bit that they want to make the sale, and make money either. That's the same/only reason I go to work every day myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I work for performance, and they're not all bad. people who tend to like smaller shops are in for a shock, but the bottom line is that the constant sales and marketing sells stuff alot better. I don't know where you live, but at the performance in greensboro, nc, our customer service is better than most of the local shops. No, we're not a local shop and there is stuff we can't do sometimes, but we are infinitely cheaper, despite what you think about the sales. Corporate crap gets old yes, but there are still nice things about PB. Oh, and 1/2 off retail for bikes for employees isn't bad. My store manager rocks btw, so maybe you just need to transfer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I hear you bro,
    The grass is always greener....
    But remember- Family owned businesses are far from perfect. Have you ever worked for one? no workplace place is perfect.
    I shop Performance but I know what I am looking for and pricematch.
    4-month ago I bought a $1,100 GT XC bike for $590 on pricematch and got free shoes with the TP %10 back. All the LBS stores had the same pricepoint Trek, Giant and Spec low end hard tails in that price range. I now have a couple of thousand singetrack miles on the bike and am happy with my purchase. Sure Pacific Cycles is big and corporate too, but soo is Trek, Giant, Specialized and most others. Any affordable bike is made in the same Tiawainees factorys anyhow, so I really don't care who put thier sticker on it.

ballbuster

Geez!!

How many forums did you go and stamp your little feet in, and whine like a little beotch?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Good job! great stores in the Denver/Boulder area

I don't mind low prices and sales, and I have found the performance stores in Westminster, CO and Boulder CO to have good sales people and helpful parts people to as well. They are willing to take time to look small parts up for special order, and have even dug into their parts bins to find some little piece I needed rather than selling me a whole new thing. When I was in Westminster the other day, the checkout clerk spent about 5 minutes in the back looking for a different color camelbak for me after the sale was already made. Comparing them to Wheat Ridge Cyclery in Lakewood CO (considered by some the best bike store in the US), performance does have less knowledgeable employees but I would say that in terms of selection performance is better for pretty much everything but high-end bikes.

Where performance rules:

Low prices and sales. This matters to me. They match their web sales at local stores, so I can support a local outlet, get rock bottom prices, same day gratification, and have part of my sales tax go to Jeffco Open Space!

Team performance. It was a friendly question that I answered no to for many years without any added pressure. I wish I had said yes sooner!

Guaranteed satisfaction policy. I jump my bike sometimes. They replaced a rim that I tacoed with no problem, even after I told them I abused it. Try that at your mom and pop LBS!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    No, we're not a local shop and there is stuff we can't do sometimes, but we are infinitely cheaper,

infinitely cheaper, wow! I guess I should head over there next time I'm in town. Stuff there must be like free, or you pay people to take it.

to everyone that complained about the bad vibe: what do you expect, they have people like the OP working there. Seriously, if it's as bad as you say why are you still working there?

Don't touch me!
    That's it. I'm shopping at Supergo from now on.
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

Quack Attack
    OP obviously has an axe to grind and he's looking for sympathy. what he doesn't realize is that, unlike a lot of other countries, no one is holding a gun to his head forcing him to work there. Don't like your job, leave and find another one. Wonderful thing about a free country. You get no sympathy from me.

I love Performance as a consumer. Low prices on the things I want. If I don't like the customer service, I go someplace else. Another wonderful thing about a free country.

I don't know how old OP is, but he sounds a lot like my 14 year old son whining about the inequity of taking out the trash and not being properly compensated....
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    That's it. I'm shopping at Supergo from now on.
    haha....or nashbar. oops, performance owns them too haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfioc
    OP obviously has an axe to grind and he's looking for sympathy. what he doesn't realize is that, unlike a lot of other countries, no one is holding a gun to his head forcing him to work there. Don't like your job, leave and find another one. Wonderful thing about a free country. You get no sympathy from me.

I love Performance as a consumer. Low prices on the things I want. If I don't like the customer service, I go someplace else. Another wonderful thing about a free country.

I don't know how old OP is, but he sounds a lot like my 14 year old son whining about the inequity of taking out the trash and not being properly compensated....
    What are those "lot of other countries"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Performance rules. I got my 7point from there- shipped to my door in 2 days for just under $1000 less than my local shop would sell it for. Bike was labeled and on the dock waiting to ship out, and I called up and changed my order to a different size- no problem or delay whatsoever. I had a problem with the rear brake howling after about 6 months of riding- Performance suggested I just return it for a new one. Not the brake, the WHOLE BIKE! No LBS had der. hangars in stock when I busted mine, but Performance did- plus the mechanic gave one to me free. Some of the employees were young and inexperienced, but they were all courteous and really into bikes, and hey we all have to start somewhere.

Low prices, great service, for Performance! When I hear people complain, I wonder if we really shop at the same place? Maybe the Colorado stores are just a different breed.

mtbr member
    I've never purchased anything from them online but I've been to the local store here in Columbus, OH a few times and I have only good things to say about it/them. Like norton05 said, some of the guys working there are younger and inexperienced but they are very good to deal with and really seem to be into biking.

The only problem I have had was with a Spin Doctor workstand that broke right after buying it. They exchanged it for a new one with zero hassle.

Their prices are much better than anyone else around (even better when you go for the Tuesday lunch time "sale") and they are great to deal with.

Performance Bicycle gets from me too.
    - Rich

My ride - '07 IBEX Asta Comp X7

I have nothing clever to say...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't buy my bike from Performance (as they don't have the bike i want) but i sure like their prices on parts and supplies.
    I'm not a team performance member but i do shop there when them have good deal. When i go to the store, i already know what i want, so i don't really ask for helps.

Last week, received email from them a $20 off coupon for order above $50 at local store.
    Use the coupon and paid the Stainless Wipperman (9X1) for $30, as i always want to try it. Next day, use the coupon again, buy two 7701 XTR chains and some energy mix powder drinks and paid $32.
    Can't beat this deal anywhere.... well i guess u can look on eBay for that price?

Yes, i do like like performance shop for my bike supplies.
    Last edited by nizee; 07-11-2007 at 10:13 PM.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nashphyl
    I work for performance and i can tell you one thing: performance is to bikes as walmart is to the general store. They pay their employees nothing and undersell the competition by buying in massive bulk from Pacific Bicycles (the distributor of mongoose, schwinn, gt). At the store i work they even mark up the prices to employees trying to make pro-deals. In almost all cases i prefer independently owned bike stores to performance. I want to help out customers and get them what they want (whether it be from my store or somewhere else), but sometimes this effort<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2087274-10453324?cm_ven=CJ&cm_cat=1477339&cm_pla=2087274&c m_ite=NEW+-+Performance+Bicycle+" vspale=0></iframe><iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-2087274-10461127?cm_ven=CJ&cm_cat=1477339&cm_pla=2087274&c m_ite=New+-+Bike+Nashbar" vspale=0></iframe> is impeded by my managers' desires to meet corporate sales goals and investor interests. The store manager is a heartless "sales goal" minded machine. He is nice to customers and upsells them stuff they don't need. When he is interacting with employees he is a complete ass. Same with the assistant sales manager. The district manager is an ever bigger jerk and hangs up the phone on me if i don't give him the response he likes to hear. On top of all of this the store operates on a big lie. There are constantly sales. The fact that there are always sales undermines the entire point of the sale itself. If things in the store are always on sale, why have the sale at all? It is basically lying to customers. Performance looks good if you are only paying attention to prices. But those prices are at the expense of north american bicycle manufacturing and honesty. If possible, support your local bike shop. If you buy from performance, you are buying from a heartless corporate machine.
    All buisness is like this. manager are suppose upsell to customers and you must set sales goals or the buisness will never grow.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh well......it turns out that that bad vibe I was mentioning in my previous post was well founded. I went to their store today to pick up a new pair of Panaracers ( on sale for $21 ) and guess what.....I get home and realize that they charged me $34 a piece.....imagine my surprise. I called and they will refund the difference ( at least that's what they said ) but I have to go back to the store.....another 2 wasted hours for nothing. + it's a wait and see game until I get my money back

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny73
    Oh well......it turns out that that bad vibe I was mentioning in my previous post was well founded. I went to their store today to pick up a new pair of Panaracers ( on sale for $21 ) and guess what.....I get home and realize that they charged me $34 a piece.....imagine my surprise. I called and they will refund the difference ( at least that's what they said ) but I have to go back to the store.....another 2 wasted hours for nothing. + it's a wait and see game until I get my money back
    Dude.... that it just pure bad luck on you !!!
    I do appologize....but...
    Almost all store i go, even pump station, will tell you the total in front of you, and you didn't listen.
    Also, you should have check your receipt when you sign it or check it after.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nizee
    Dude.... that it just pure bad luck on you !!!
    I do appologize....but...
    Almost all store i go, even pump station, will tell you the total in front of you, and you didn't listen.
    Also, you should have check your receipt when you sign it or check it after.
    You can't tell me that you ALWAYS check your receipt... + when you buy multiple items sometimes you can't spot the price discrepancies right away if you don't look closely.Yes I usually check it myself , but sometimes you're in a hurry or you get a call ....or whatever. Of course it could happen anywhere else,and it does , but I'm not basing my comments only on that incident. It's funny when you have that weird feeling when you come in contact with some people , and it turns out that your gut feeling was correct.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You can't tell me that you ALWAYS check your receipt... + when you buy multiple items sometimes you can't spot the price discrepancies right away if you don't look closely.Yes I usually check it myself , but sometimes you're in a hurry or you get a call ....or whatever. Of course it could happen anywhere else,and it does , but I'm not basing my comments only on that incident. It's funny when you have that weird feeling when you come in contact with some people , and it turns out that your gut feeling was correct.
    Oh... sure....

Lesson learn, if you going to travel 1~2 hrs (assuming 75miles ~ 150mils away), do make sure you check your receipt before you leave.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005

Wait a second... Let me get this straight. YOU made the mistake of overpaying for the pedals; YOU made the mistake of not paying attention to how much they were charging; YOU are complaining about THEM overcharging you? You're the one who wasted YOUR hours. I don't see why you're on here *****ing and whining about your OWN stupidity.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    As for Performance Bike... Ya, they sell their name-brand parts for cheap. Is that a BAD thing? I'm the consumer, not the entrepreneur. Today, I bought SRAM PC1 nickel chains (single speed) for $7.97/ea. Compare that to eBay, cambria, nashbar, pricepoint, etc. and they absolutely do NOT compare. There's also no shipping charge.

They sell garbage bikes, but at my local Perf Bike the mechanics really know their stuff, and the parts prices are very hard to beat.

mtbr member
    I had bad experience with Performance Pasadena . i always go there,but one time i went there and my car won't start and i back to the store to ask if they can give me a jump,but not a single employee and even the manager want to give me a jump .
    Start that day,i rather drive 35 miles to JENSON in ontario,then buy something from Performance.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    Wait a second... Let me get this straight. YOU made the mistake of overpaying for the pedals; YOU made the mistake of not paying attention to how much they were charging; YOU are complaining about THEM overcharging you? You're the one who wasted YOUR hours. I don't see why you're on here *****ing and whining about your OWN stupidity.
    I made the mistake of overpaying for PEDALS??? You're not too bright apparently, or maybe you just missed that little detail that I bought TIRES not PEDALS. See my point??? Here's a reality check for you.

Facts
    1. THEY overcharged me after I spent 10 minutes talking to one of their managers about those particular tires ,including price and quality.

2. Yes, I missed those overcharges obviously because I did not check the receipt, my fault (but who would check the receipt after spending time with the manager and already talking about the reduced price?)

3.I was not *****ing and whining about anything .I just made an observation about a BAD VIBE related directly to people from one of their stores.

So smartass......next time you open your mouth check some facts before you call other people stupid.....who knows ,you might look like an IDIOT afterall...

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Yes, I missed those overcharges obviously because I did not check the receipt, my fault
    Case in point - your fault. You even admitted it. It is your responsibility to verify price, not the employee. I'm sure they said the total price at the cash register, but you were just too busy chatting up the salesman to pay attention.

As for me thinking pedals, when you said Panaracers... That's hardly at the same level of stupidity of your mistake. My mistake didn't cost me $26 and 2 hours of my oh-so-precious time.

mtbr member
    You can't tell me that you ALWAYS check your receipt... sometimes you're in a hurry or you get a call ....or whatever.

yeah, I can honestly say I do always check, though I'm not so pimptastic that getting a call distracts me to the point I can't do anything else.

Frankly, if this happened to me, I'd be ashamed to admit it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was going to post how bad they are/were earlier, but in the end my order arrived and it wasn't the end of the world. I didn't "want" to order from them again but they had some specials that just couldn't be beat.

I went online built up my cart (6-7 items) then notice the price on a few things were different than the catalog I had received that afternoon. I went to Live Help and they said I had to phone in my order. I was a little shocked, but what can you do. I haven't placed a phone order in... Well it's been sooooo long I don't even remember.

Again because of the price I "had" to do it. So I called and my first question was about my 10% off code and free shipping. The lady said no problem. I read off all the item numbers, got everything in the system and free shipping applied. Then she said give me your 10% off code.. I responded with 6001776. She then says it doesn't work, please read the small print. So I read it off and what do ya know... "10% coupon offer expires on 7/05/07" I asked why they sent me an email an hour ago with a coupon that had expired over 10 days ago. She pretty much said I was lying and that didn't happen. I said you don't have a 10% off I can use, she said no, I said have a nice day and hung up. I had already "tested" the code in my shopping cart online and it had worked fine.

Remembering why I loved ordering online so much I went back to the performance site to see what I could figure out and on the main page was the SAME AD from my email without the expiration date. I called again.

This time I talked with Julie... This CSR had a clue. I explained everything and she said that the code should be working fine and if she had any problems she would get a manager. I read everything off, she applies the free shipping coupon, them magically I read her my 10% off code and it works no problem. Order placed.

What a pain for something so simple. What should have taken 5 minutes tops (me ordering online) ended up taking 30 minutes, not to mention with a phone order they couldn't generate a order confirmation to my email address they had on file. Hopefully it will be the last time I support Performance.

Broken and dizzy
    Yikes, and I just got the latest "flyer" with the 10% off coupon yesterday. Was going to buy an X9 derailleur (which for $69.99 ain't bad), Shot Blocks and some tubes. Hope mine experience goes smoother.

And just to add my $.02 about the incorrect charges on the guys tires he bought. Regardless of whether or not he checked the receipt BEFORE he left, the store has an obligation and responsibility to charge the correct price as listed. Don't believe me? This is a good read:

http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showthread.php?p=2277790

Some press clippings about the suit against Von's:

http://www.smdp.com/site/archives/043003.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru
    Yikes, and I just got the latest "flyer" with the 10% off coupon yesterday. Was going to buy an X9 derailleur (which for $69.99 ain't bad), Shot Blocks and some tubes. Hope mine experience goes smoother.

And just to add my $.02 about the incorrect charges on the guys tires he bought. Regardless of whether or not he checked the receipt BEFORE he left, the store has an obligation and responsibility to charge the correct price as listed. Don't believe me? This is a good read:

That is exactly what I was trying to make some people comprehend......apparently it's too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru
    Don't believe me? This is a good read:

]

you know all that really says is the author is paranoid and hates "corporations." proof: although he claims they are habitually cheating him, he continues shopping there

personally I have no problem with stores semi-cheating idiots who don't pay attention to how much they are shelling out. I wait for the casher to give me a total, and I know what it should be before they tell me (here's a trick: learn to add, it's a useful skill). I'm never rushed out the door, never go to the customer service counter and never overpay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I used to work at Fry's electronics and they try all the stuff your saying the bike shop does. The difference lies in the fact that the laymen will walk in and be upsold and ripped off like there is no tomorrow with stuff they dont need.. while the informed person who walks in knowing what they want, gets it and gets out with no hassles.

Same with a bike shop... if you know what you want, then you just have to go in there and get it, pay for it and get out.

I could care less if the guy working there knows what it is I'm buying... I KNOW and if they have it in stock and a good price, I buy it.

The fact that everyone here is on this site with all this information should show prove that you have the resources to get any info you want and don't need a informed guy.

If they dont have it in stock or dont think they have it in stock, I go elsewhere if i can't find it myself. It's their loss.

banned
    They have the highest prices and have a weekly sale that brings them down to regular price. Sadly, I have $300 in Performance bike points and yet they don't carry any high end stuff. For example, I'd like some high end Sidi shoes, but they don't have them. Seriously, go look for any brand high end shoe from 2007 and you wont find any. It's totally ghetto. It's like the Chinese corner store of the cycling industry. I don't go for the off branded stuff when I know I can spend a little more to have a product that is named and will last.

I'm sick of everything being Forte branded. Seriously, bring back the name brands and I'll start going back again. I'm ebaying my store credit if possible.

It used to be a good store when it was Supergo. Now none of the employees ride or race, no group rides, or anything. Yeah, they price match, but one still have to pay tax. I'll take the pretax and free shipping from someone else.

I'm not renewing my membership again this year because I'm just going to buy everything on line and not pay tax to boot. Oh, their wrenches are idiots. Don't even get me started.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As far as high-end bikes, no. But they have:

Thomson
    All Shimano levels
    Terry
    Fox
    Sidi (they have several Sidi's listed on the web and my store in SF carries Sidi's)
    Chris King headsets
    FSA carbon wing bars
    Easton
    SRAM

You have to understand what Performancebike is: they're a chain. The Bestbuy of bikestores. No, they aren't some boutique shop selling high-end, esoteric kit, but they don't claim to be either...

mtbr member
    I'd agree that Performance isn't the best bike shop but I do like their prices. I would never consider buying a bike from them and always go to my LBS for that and repairs. However, as much as I'd like to give all of my support to my LBS I can't justify paying the full retail price for a set of tires or other component. If I can get it at performance for less I need to save the money.

I think it's funny that you point out that everything is always on sale. I noticed that too and I am a Team Performance Member. I get my money back because if you save $20 from a member only sale you break even. You also get 10% back on everything you buy so I see that as money I'm getting for free that I would have spent at the store later on anyways. I don't like their Forte/Scanttente brands but I've found Performance does have some ok bike tools. Their brand, Spin Doctor, is usually a few dollars or even half as much as the same Park tools. They aren't the same quality as Park but I don't need professional quality tools to do the occasional maintenance stuff.

The Performance bike shop I go too seems to have a nice staff. I at least see the same people there every time I go and they always ask me if I need assistance when I'm looking around. I guess every store is different but I'm still going to have to shop there to get the best deals and save money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    [QUOTE=bikerideAZ]They have the highest prices and have a weekly sale that brings them down to regular price. Sadly, I have $300 in Performance bike points and yet they don't carry any high end stuff. For example, I'd like some high end Sidi shoes, but they don't have them. Seriously, go look for any brand high end shoe from 2007 and you wont find any. It's totally ghetto. It's like the Chinese corner store of the cycling industry. I don't go for the off branded stuff when I know I can spend a little more to have a product that is named and will last.

If you're talking about Sidi's. Other big name online retailers like Jenson, REI....still don't have the 2007 Sidi's. They are all still selling the 2006's. The great thing about Performance is that you can by the 2006 models and then just return them when the 2007 come out. Performance is great in my opinion. When their Shimano and Sram stuff is on sale and they have a 20% coupon....they can't be touched.

mtbr member
    Is this your first job? LOL
    Grow up !

They may be a heartless corporate machine but I am a penny pinching tight ass S.O.B with no loyalty at all to anyone or anything but my pocketbook and my own selfish greed.
    I have bought from them a couple of times in the past and may do so again in the future if it is in my best interests.

Fall Branch Felon
    One more vote for Performance sucking big monkey b***s!

I tried to place an order with them a couple days ago and never got any confirmation.

I called this morning, and explained to them that my credit card had been charged. They said there is no record of my order, but the charge is only a "temp authorization". Yeah, yeah...........I've received that BS story from others. I know how a CC ping works, but my card was definitely charged. The lady on the phone was hateful as hell........you'd think she'd at least try to save face so I'd still place an order.
    So, I just got off with American Express, and they said they CAN view the difference between a ping, and a completed charge, and I was definitely charged. Now it's in AE's hands, and I'll be getting my money back.

I believe I'll just stick with Price Point, Jenson, Speedgoat, and Ebay from now on.
    "That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger"

Haro WERX XCR
    Ibis Alibi
    Interloc Scandium Elite

Was that a Bobcat?
    I agree with the thread title!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For all the frustrations with trying to order stuff on line through their website and applying savings codes, I had an awesome find at the Performance shop in town.

I'd bought a Cateye Enduro which had been marked down and with the $5 off coupon paid less than $20. Not bad. Then, when I got up to the shop to pick it up, I found a pair of Sidi Dominators that had been returned. They'd been marked down to $200 - not great - but there was a sign over the table that said "all marked down clothing is an additional 30% off." I asked a sales clerk if that applied to the Sidi's too and she said "sure." When I got up to the register the manager rang it up at $200, and when I told him that they'd been back on the clearance table and the clerk had told they were also marked down 30% he said "Ok." $140 for a returned pair of '07 Dominator 5's - pretty sweet.

Trying a little
    I actually have no problem with performance, other than their prices, they are like the most expensive for everything

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    While it is true that both Performance and Wal-Mart have the ability to pay their employees more, YOU don't have to work there and NO ONE is forced to shop at either. I don't feel sorry for the people who work at a job and then do nothing but ***** and complain about their situation. They (Wal-Mart/Performance) have found a recipe that has made them successful and have continued on with it. We want lower prices and they are giving them to us. We create these corporations as consumers. With out us they COULD NOT exist. I live within 20 minutes of Wal-Mart's headquarters here in Bentonville, AR and I work with people "who claim to despise" this evil corporation, but every single one of those people can be found shopping at their "friendly neighborhood store" EVERY week. Most people start a business to make money for themselves, not for their employees.

D.M.S.R.
    Jun 2007
    I love all the Performance Bike shops in my town. On most days, I take advantage of special sales and even get price matching of catalog prices. Most of the folks there are very nice and I get great customer service (no hassle returns/exchanges). As long as I can save a lot of money for items I need, I'll continue to shop there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would have to say that performance is way better in customer service then a few local bike shops I been too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Buy more stuff! Save more money! Then buy more stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    While it is true that both Performance and Wal-Mart have the ability to pay their employees more, YOU don't have to work there and NO ONE is forced to shop at either. I don't feel sorry for the people who work at a job and then do nothing but ***** and complain about their situation. They (Wal-Mart/Performance) have found a recipe that has made them successful and have continued on with it. We want lower prices and they are giving them to us. We create these corporations as consumers. With out us they COULD NOT exist. I live within 20 minutes of Wal-Mart's headquarters here in Bentonville, AR and I work with people "who claim to despise" this evil corporation, but every single one of those people can be found shopping at their "friendly neighborhood store" EVERY week. Most people start a business to make money for themselves, not for their employees.
    I think that a lot of people actually are somewhat forced to shop at Walmart because they don't have any other stores within a large radius. I also believe that many people have to work at Walmart because they have no other employers in the area. A similar thing seems to be happening with the Performance/Nashbar monster, if it keeps growing at the rate it has, there will soon be little to no competition left, we will all ride bikes made in the same factory with different stickers on them, stuff will slowly get more expensive. I think the "recipe" those big companies have found is "Do whatever it takes to increase profits and do not care about the impact this strategy may have on anyone or anything". Greed works and seems to be addictive and seems to know no limits.
    I do believe that companies can make money while not focusing entirely on the money making aspect (e.g. seeing a social responsibility when leading a company). That seems to not be the trend and is not encouraged with current policies, either. It may be time to turn off the TV, start shopping with social responsibility (instead of an egocentric focus) and begin voting for something other than the big two money- and power-steered parties.

M12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have had mix reviews with my local performance bikes.

Performance bike #1 (Ventura)- Shady!!! Their bikes had their clipless pedals taken off and regular pedals put on. They told me thats how their bikes came. I also wanted to return my bike due to a manufacturing error and they told me it was safe and I couldnt return it.

Performance Bike #2 (Torrance)- Yay...returned my bike and I was walking out with a new bike in under 15 mins!!! No hassle or trying to fight. Great service and really helpful guys there. I also pricematched some items there with ease.

mtbr member
    I wish had more time to go into this, but I'm done with Performance. I ordered a MKIII Comp from them two weeks ago. I was supposed to get it the following Friday. I called to check on it - they forgot to order it, but promised it was going out last Friday. Found out Tuesday they still haven't shipped it, but they might get it Friday. Now customer service says up to 21 days for delivery. Another store in the area has it, but when I called to ask if I could have that bike delivered to the store near me, I was told they can't because "then we would have 2 of those bikes in our store".
    Long story short - I'm going to get a refund and just go check out The Path's sale this weekend.

mtbr member
    Performance recently bought out Supergo and CircleCycles. Their line has less selection now. except they do carry Rocky Mountain bikes.

I did purchase a Giant NRS 1 from them and bought many extras with their Performance Team thing.

I'll never go back because their tubes all are terrible and go flat or have holes from the factory. All of the performance accesories dont work, or may be most of them.

I go to a independant store now and get much better service and very good deals.

mtbr member
    I've ordered from them several times and haven't had an issue. I'm going to order from whoever has what I want at a reasonable price and can get it to me quickly. Both Performance bike and Jenson do that for me. I'll continue to order from them (whichever one has the item).

mtbr member
    Hey Ya'll
    This is just my 1 cents ( thats normally my 2 cents, just 50 percent off now til Sept 29). but I have scored some pretty good deals at Performance like em or not.
    For example, I recently purchased a new 2007 Rockshox Reba Race Suspension Fork with a Poploc Remote Control and had it shipped from North Carolina to my front porch in Northern California for only $280 dollars including tax and freight..
    I think thats a pretty good deal..if you can find a better retail deal than that anywhere right now Id be pretty impressed,

Though the whole corporate business model may not make everyone happy, even less so perhaps if you have CHOSEN to work there , ( last I checked they were still NOT taking hostages and making them work in their stores at gunpoint) they can usually offer a fairly good deal on goods and services to a pretty wide base of cycling customers.

As for the quality of their services , that will probably vary from store to store just as much as people's abilities do vary everywhere on the planet , yet the performance price match policy and return policy still applies across the board as far as I can tell.

It has been our experience that they do very well on returns of defective goods and have also matched prices for me on the spot as advertised on higher priced items and saved me hundreds of dollars at a whack on upper end bike parts. We have also been able to return items that have failed or items that we were not satisfied with for a complete refund.

They may not carry everything and do everything..but then who does,,and I still shop other places..who doesnt..but for what they are I think they do quite well at it for the most part.
    We will continue shop there in the future as well as at our other local bike shops and on line sites because it just makes good cents on our bottom line
    Again just my 1 cent..your smileage may vary

Members who have read this thread: 0