mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Park Tools sale?

Does Park run a sale on tools in the spring? I seem to recall them doing this...but it could have been a (long) while back. I could be way off too. Looking to add to my tool arsenal

mtbr member
    Also curious but tools don't go old like bottom bracket standards (grrr). Amazon and jenson usually have them posted up for sale occasionally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Also curious but tools don't go old like bottom bracket standards (grrr). Amazon and jenson usually have them posted up for sale occasionally

Funny that you say that. One item I'm hoping to get is a new truing stand. My trusty TS-2 was designed well before the days of 29ers and fat bikes. Looking to get a TS-4 to replace.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Park Tools sale?

I've had good luck finding a used truing stand then just getting a refresh kit to essentially zero time mine!

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by compengr View Post
    Funny that you say that. One item I'm hoping to get is a new truing stand. My trusty TS-2 was designed well before the days of 29ers and fat bikes. Looking to get a TS-4 to replace.
    TS-2.2 does 29er wheels and up to a 4" rim. Not sure why the need for a TS-4, but it's your money.

[/url]

mtbr member
    The codes at universal cycles work on park, but there's a minimum you have to spend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    TS-2.2 does 29er wheels and up to a 4" rim. Not sure why the need for a TS-4, but it's your money.
    That's great, but I don't have the 2.2. Mine is the TS-2, which has shorter uprights and smaller calipers.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    That's great, but I don't have the 2.2. Mine is the TS-2, which has shorter uprights and smaller calipers.
    Read what I wrote and think for a sec. You said you wanted a TS-4 and I suggested a 2.2 as a cheaper alternative.

Or look into the TS-2 extensions. They'll allow 29er wheels w/tires, wider hubs and most thru axle options. All for around 50 bucks. Most anything except fat bikes if I'm reading it correctly.

https://www.parktool.com/product/upr...tors-ts-2ext-2

Then there's this that'll upgrade the calipers on the TS-2 for less than $20 so you can do up to 3.5" rims (just not fat 29er if that's what you're after).

https://www.parktool.com/product/cal...-for-ts-2-238k

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    The codes at universal cycles work on park, but there's a minimum you have to spend.
    I picked up a few Art's gift cards at 20% off a while back. Those coupled with the arts10 (10% off) seems to be the best deal going. I'm just hoping for a sale

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Read what I wrote and think for a sec. You said you wanted a TS-4 and I suggested a 2.2 as a cheaper alternative.

Or look into the TS-2 extensions. They'll allow 29er wheels w/tires, wider hubs and most thru axle options. All for around 50 bucks. Most anything except fat bikes if I'm reading it correctly.

https://www.parktool.com/product/upr...tors-ts-2ext-2
    It just doesn't make sense for me to buy the 2.2. I would have to buy the extensions to do fat wheels, adding to the price while still not having all of the functionality of the TS-4. Might as well go all in.

The extensions only solve part of the problem on the 2.0. Small calipers still remains an issue. They don't work for 90mm wide rims.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    It just doesn't make sense for me to buy the 2.2. I would have to buy the extensions to do fat wheels, adding to the price while still not having all of the functionality of the TS-4. Might as well go all in.

The extensions only solve part of the problem on the 2.0. Small calipers still remains an issue. They don't work for 90mm wide rims.
    Added caliper upgrade will take care of that (edited post above). It says it's good up to 3.5". ~$70 or less vs $350 for a new TS-4. But like I said, your money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Added caliper upgrade will take care of that (edited post above). It says it's good up to 3.5". ~$70 or less vs $350 for a new TS-4. But like I said, your money.
    Still have to remove tires to true. I borrowed a set of extensions from a local shop and while they worked (for some wheels), I found the solution to be cumbersome. Yeah, I can get a new set of caliper arms, but overall it seemed like a bandaid fix. I didn't like it. Quit trying to save me money!

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Still have to remove tires to true. I borrowed a set of extensions from a local shop and while they worked (for some wheels), I found the solution to be cumbersome. Yeah, I can get a new set of caliper arms, but overall it seemed like a bandaid fix. I didn't like it. Quit trying to save me money!
    Of course it's a bandaid, but a pretty decent one but I get wanting something nice, so here's your new stand. Drool-worthy for sure!

Park Tools sale?-stand.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Also curious but tools don't go old like bottom bracket standards (grrr).
    I have at least 3 BB tools I'll probably never use again that disagree. Bike-specific tools are only as useful as the parts they work on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Of course it's a bandaid, but a pretty decent one but I get wanting something nice, so here's your new stand. Drool-worthy for sure!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stand.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	1178756
    You know, I (very briefly) looked at that one and a few others. Mainly just to see what else, besides Park truing stands, is out there. Honestly, while it looks fancy, the overall functionality isn't as good. Just clamping the wheel looks to be a process and it doesn't self-center like the Park. It is probably more precise, but there is no need for that level of precision in the kind of wheels I build. Or any wheel I can think of...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I have at least 3 BB tools I'll probably never use again that disagree. Bike-specific tools are only as useful as the parts they work on.
    True but park tool is not setting standards, they merely support tools for standards. The physical tool to remove your old bb doesn't need to be carbon or shave weight.

In that sense they don't necessarily improve and have old heavier tools drop in price.

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL