mtbr member
    Feb 2004

is it normal to charge sales tax on S&H?

I discovered today that Performance Bike charges state sales tax on the amount of your total order, minus coupons, plus shipping and handling.

Example: I buy items totaling $100
    I use a 10% off coupon code, now total is $90.00
    My shipping and handling charge is $10.00, now my total is $100.00
    Sales tax in my area is 7.0%, i'm charged $7.00 tax, my total is now $107.00.

Question: Is this normal business practice? I was under the impression that sales tax is charged on the total of the goods and service. Performance evidently considers S&H a service, for which they charge tax.

What is your opinion of this practice? Is this consistent with other mail order businesses you have dealt with?

Thanks

I'm such a fox
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker
    I discovered today that Performance Bike charges state sales tax on the amount of your total order, minus coupons, plus shipping and handling.

Question: Is this normal business practice? I was under the impression that sales tax is charged on the total of the goods and service. Performance evidently considers S&H a service, for which they charge tax.

What is your opinion of this practice? Is this consistent with other mail order businesses you have dealt with?

Thanks
    Sounds like they are using a loophole to charge extra.

I don't shop through Performance but I have used other vendors and none have charged me tax on the shipping total.

Agustin

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Depends on the state.

I've heard that Indiana has recently changed so that things with S&H will have to pay sales tax. So if you buy from Tire Rack or Zipp or Woodwind & Brasswind... it's possible to see additional tax charges.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me... I've gotta go pound on some doors.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by seeker

Thanks
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Depends on the state.

I've heard that Indiana has recently changed so that things with S&H will have to pay sales tax. So if you buy from Tire Rack or Zipp or Woodwind & Brasswind... it's possible to see additional tax charges.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me... I've gotta go pound on some doors.

JmZ
    You're correct, it's determined by the state. Some states require shipping charges to be taxed, others dont.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Members who have read this thread: 0