Thread: no name frames

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

no name frames

What budget frames do you recommend? I'm talking about names like Motobecane and Ibex. How about the Giant frames on ebay from Hong Kong. brand new in the box.

Semper Fi
    Jul 2007
    I like my Ibex Atlas.... Solid bike.

Bike Geek

access

access frames from performance...best warranty....period
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RIP AL DAVIS

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I second the performance frames. Built one a while back. Weld quality is great, paint is durable and they are pretty light. They usually come with a post and extra derailler hanger and a bottle of touch up paint.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I second the performance frames. Built one a while back. Weld quality is great, paint is durable and they are pretty light. They usually come with a post and extra derailler hanger and a bottle of touch up paint.
    Doesn't appear they sell them any more, can anyone provide a link to the Performance Access?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I got mine in store. I know around here they have alot in stock. They don't have them on the website.

mtbr member
    I don't have one, but I have heard good things about the Leader frames

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think the Sette Reken frames had good reviews. $99.98 at Pricepoint. No personal experience.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/177...rame-Black.htm

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    ^+1 I've seen one around town and it looked sweet but I don't have any experience on one myself.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You didn't mention a price range, but you can get the Azonic AZ-7 for ~$350. Mine came in at exactly 3 lbs in a size large (18.5).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well folks,
    I'm just looking for a good deal. I refused to pay retail prices at a bikeshop for a new bike. it's totally gotten out of hand with prices. I know this is our hobbie but think about it, how much bike does a person really need.
    My options are to buy a used bike(ebay or craiglist) or buildup a frame exactly the way I want it.
    I know Motobecane and Ibex get a bad rap from alot of people but some of their bikes are simply a better deal than the big companies can match.
    I've been doing this for a long time and I've ridden bikes that cost 1000$$$ of dollars. I know local people who have worked at a boutique bike builder(titanium) and to here the stories about the business makes me feel the way I do. Hence the question about the lower end budget frames that are out there for sale.
    I want my hard earned money to be spent right.
    Oh I'm not trying to start another motobecane bashing so if you respond please don't let that get started.
    I just need some ideals.
    thanks to all who has responded already

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    im in the same boat, i have looked at the giant frames on ebay also came across voodo steel frames on ebay they seem ok. my question is about hangers on cheap bikes i want to know im not out the money when i break a hanger?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    slowdave, the hanger dilema is a very good point.

When it comes to affordable frames, most come from Asia. Check out http://www.biketaiwan.com/ or http://www.bicyclesb2b.com/ You will find a lot of re-branded merchandise on the actual manufactures home page. One of my favorites is "American Classic" wheel sets. If you wanted to start a bike company, you could start with a commercially available off the shelf frame, re-brand it and call it your own. Many of the frames are good if not great.

As for bikesdirect, I recently bought a high end, not Motobecane or Windsor or any of their other house named bikes. It was smoking good deal. Arrived in dealer ready condition. Took less than 15 minutes to assemble. Less than 10 minutes to dial in. Reflector removal was the only real sore part of the whole process. All said and done, I saved $400 on $2200 worth of components and they threw in a $2000 frame. Would do business with them again.

Check http://www.chucksbikes.com/ for deals. The site leans more towards road, but every now and then mtb frames emerge.

Devolution is real!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Poor
    I think the Sette Reken frames had good reviews. $99.98 at Pricepoint. No personal experience.
    I have an Access(Performance) Frame and it works great. That pricepoint frame looks very similar & good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    the nashbar 4130 steel frames were the best value going while they had them. maybe theyll do it again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    well, I 've narrowed down the search. I'm looking at either a Sette or a Motobecane. seems like Performance doesn't offer the Access frame now.

Your opinions on the Sette Reken or the Motobecane Fly or next down.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ride an Ibex Trophy, frame is solid, support is good from Ibex. I'm not sure if they have stock right now, they tend to run low towards the end of the year from what I hear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyharris
    well, I 've narrowed down the search. I'm looking at either a Sette or a Motobecane. seems like Performance doesn't offer the Access frame now.

Your opinions on the Sette Reken or the Motobecane Fly or next down.
    Thanks

I have the Sette Reken frame. I bought it on sale when they were $69. The fork is a minute 100-130, that I ride at about 105mm. Front disk, built it with take offs from Bob's cycles and have about $500 into it. It is a really good frame. It rides great, and would say go for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I guess I should had mention that I plan to use this frame for endurance racing . I understand the geometry is bit relaxed when you put 100 mm up front. Is this true?
    I'm a bit worried that the motobecane might not be up to the task and I might have frame failure being that it is so light.
    thoughts?

mtbr member
    I guess I should had mention that I plan to use this frame for endurance racing . I understand the geometry is bit relaxed when you put 100 mm up front. Is this true?
    I'm a bit worried that the motobecane might not be up to the task and I might have frame failure being that it is so light.
    thoughts?
    My guess is that it was designed around 100mm fork, as it is fine with that. It is not a race frame, not twitchy. Mine is not loaded with race parts, and is 29 lb with a Kenda kinetic rear and a Specialized Adrenaline front. Bonty select rims.

mtbr member
    Relaxed geo is not a bad thing for endurance racing.

I've seen some really nice builds on MTBR with the Sette Reken frame. Haven't heard about them breaking

Go make a difference
    I'll 2nd, 3rd, or wherever we're at on the Access frames. I got one as a back up and almost kept it built as my main ride but I switched over to 29ers right after that so alas...

I'll plug Harvey Cycles here. Harvey owns Backcountry Outdoors in Pisgah NF and has some pretty nice deals worked out on the same frames that the big boys buy out of Taiwan. He sets a price point and builds a package around it. Here's the link...
    http://www.backcountryoutdoors.com/Bikes.html

I've heard good stuff about the Zion frames from Jenson. I have a Zion fork on my Walt Works and love it -- very solid and capable so I would imagine the frames are as well.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave999
    im in the same boat, i have looked at the giant frames on ebay also came across voodo steel frames on ebay they seem ok. my question is about hangers on cheap bikes i want to know im not out the money when i break a hanger?
    FWIW the leader 516H frame I got has a replacable derailleur hanger. It was actually broke during shipping, but replacements can be had very easily from Leader for $15 for one, and $10 for additional ones.

So do some of these aluminum frames not have replacable derailleur hangers? Or is the concern with the availability of the replacement piece?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Litzdude,
    Do you think that a sette frame can be built up complete at 23-24 lbs?
    thanks

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Slowdave, I wouldn't put Voodoo frames in the cheap/generic category. I haven't really kept up with the brand, but at least in the past, they've been extremely well designed and well implemented.... I'm riding a '99 Voodoo Bizango that's made from a really nice tubeset (Tange Prestige) and rides beautifully. I believe the modern ones are made from 853, which is a pretty nice (and spendy) set of pipes, as well.

FWIW, most steel (and titanium, for that matter) bikes won't come with a replaceable hanger, since steel can be readily bent back into shape (aluminum bikes need a replaceable hanger, because it's very easy to fatigue heat-treated aluminum to the point of breaking).

mtbr member
    Litzdude,
    thanks
    I can't answer that.
    If you are looking for a 23-24 lb bike, I'm not sure starting with any of these frames is the way to get that done?
    I think your putting too much issue on the frame, as the components are were you need to see what they will weigh when done, and back into what the whole bike will weigh with what frame.

Former Bike Wrench
    Just FYI-Motobecane frames are made by Kinesis who is one of the largest frame manufacturers in Asia

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Litzdude,
    thanks
    It is possible, but what you saved on the frame will be more than made up for in parts. You will need a light weight fork and light weight wheels. Cheapest way to do light brakes is rim brakes. You will need a light saddle. And light tires. Light bar and stem. Oh yah, you will also need a light gruppo, think XT or better. It is possible.

I built a 21.5 pound hard tail on a 3 pound frame for only $2,800. A 4.5 pound frame with the same kit would tip the scales at only 23 pounds.

If price per pound is your main goal, take a look at the Motobecane Fly. At about $1500 complete it is a smoking good deal, if weight is your primary concern. The sum of its parts is worth more than $1500.

The plough
    Talking about Taiwan, try our online shop. It has actual products that you can buy singly, not 30 at a time

V.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    you could build a 23-24 lb rigid w/o problem. but if you are going to spend 2000 on components just to make a aluminum ht. under 24, you could buy a lighter aluminum frame and make your bike closer to 23 with lower cost on components, or a steel frame and keep it the same, but probably be stronger / last longer. that frame looks good in the pics, but for $250 extra you could get a bokor (made out of a better type of aluminum) and save about 1.5 lbs there. 1.5 lbs for 250 bux is a WW dream.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ong
    I'm riding a '99 Voodoo Bizango that's made from a really nice tubeset (Tange Prestige) and rides beautifully. I believe the modern ones are made from 853, which is a pretty nice (and spendy) set of pipes, as well.
    If your Bizango is a 99 then it is 853. They made the transition from Prestige during late 97/early 98 production. It may have been NOS from earlier 97.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh, really? That's interesting. I'm not sure of the year, but mine says "Tange Ultimate Ultralight" on the tubing sticker, and "Hand Crafted in the USA" on the down tube. Maybe it's a little older than I thought!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ong
    Oh, really? That's interesting. I'm not sure of the year, but mine says "Tange Ultimate Ultralight" on the tubing sticker, and "Hand Crafted in the USA" on the down tube. Maybe it's a little older than I thought!
    I interviewed for a job there in August of 97. They were in the process of making the transition to the new tubeset. I know that employees held a number of frames back in reserve that had been build with the Tange. Maybe yours was one of those. I got the impression that the employees had a better impression of the earlier tubeset over the Reynolds.

Those earlier framesets were sweet. I have one that was converted to horizontal drops. I love it.

~Drew

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow, thanks for that information... really interesting! Mine is built up as my daily rider, with a rigid fork, drop bars, metal fenders and a Brooks... kind of unrecognizable compared to the original, I'm sure. It's still a great bike, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Poor
    Looks like a good deal, but I don't know what kind of ju-ju comes from riding around on a rig with a name that sounds like "wreckin'"!

Members who have read this thread: 0