mtbr member
    Apr 2004

And the next bankrupt retailer is . . .

Performance Bike. And Nashbar. Its a 2-fer-1.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/11/new...kruptcy_481472

I rarely use them anymore, but I fondly remember stacking discount codes and sale prices on 8 or 9 speed Shimano components thru Perf many years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sad really, since I think they filled a niche of people who didn't need to have the latest and greatest and stuff that fit older bikes. Not to mention nashbar being one of the go-to places to find closeout deals.

mtbr member
    damn, i have some stuff i need to return to Nashbar.....
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Snow Dog
    would be cool to see some local bike shops get some of this inventory and maybe fill the niche for that crowd. Probably won't happen, but in our area, one less big bike store means the possibility of people searching the little guys for product and/or questions...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Bought my last road bike and mountain bike from Performance. OK, I'm a 60 year old guy who doesn't need the lightest and the fastest of anything so they have done OK by me for a while.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Not really surprised. I've never been to a physical store since there are none near me. They used to compete online. Last few years their selection turned to crap and their prices weren't all that great either. They'd raise the price and then "discount" it so many different ways I just stopped looking at some point. Didn't help they'd spam my email at least once a day. Kinda like Fry's Electronics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Kinda like Fry's Electronics.
    At least the Perf return policy was reasonable. God help you if you ever need to make a return at Fry's. I've gone thru Israeli customs with less hassle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    would be cool to see some local bike shops get some of this inventory and maybe fill the niche for that crowd. Probably won't happen, but in our area, one less big bike store means the possibility of people searching the little guys for product and/or questions...
    The problem is that those "little guys" are indeed too little to carry the stuff that Performance does. Stuff like helmets, shoes, clothing, nutrition, and other accessories. As an example, I live in a town with only a few LBS and I was looking for a cassette tool. No one had one, and one shop even looked puzzled as to what I was looking for--I ended up ordering one from Amazon. And people wonder why local places go out of business.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    This is surprising, they just opened another new store near me a few months ago. In my area, no shops carry decent selections of shoes, clothes, gloves, etc. Performance has always been my go-to for that stuff. They always stand behind their house brand goods. You buy their sunglasses and the lens breaks 2 years later, they give you a new set.

mtbr member
    Remember Supergo

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Even the supposed Black Friday sale going on now is pretty lame. Not surprised.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Better tell the family not to get me any Performance gift cards this Christmas.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    The problem is that those "little guys" are indeed too little to carry the stuff that Performance does. Stuff like helmets, shoes, clothing, nutrition, and other accessories. As an example, I live in a town with only a few LBS and I was looking for a cassette tool. No one had one, and one shop even looked puzzled as to what I was looking for--I ended up ordering one from Amazon. And people wonder why local places go out of business.
    yeah. I am lucky, I guess, that the LBs's around me are pretty good at keeping the "right stuff" in the store...meaning proper tools, components etc. And even though none of them offer 30 different colors of the same product - like the big stores - they do carry things like helmets/shoes etc...it is just a smaller stock and less focused at the casual buyer who is more worried about what their helmet looks like rather than how it protects etc...

we also have a ton of the mid sized stores like Roll, and 3 (I think) Trek stores, and 2 Bike Source stores. And REI. I don't know if our Performance Bike store will be gone or not. I never go in there.
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Performance filed chapter 11 not chapter 7. They'll slim down and reorganize.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

IPA tester
    The interwebz has made it pretty hard for the brick & mortar store to survive. Drives me crazy when people go to the LBS and then run home and order it on line, then complain about the LBS going out of business. I get it on both sides but sometimes, if the LBS is fairly close in price & decent to work with, support them. They are the ones that save your butt when you need that little widget for the next days ride or fix something you can't.

The web has put more than one business out and will continue to do so, whatever it is.

Intense Bikes has totally pissed off the LBS when they went online but that's the road they chose. It might be the way all bikes are purchased in the future but most people, once again, go to the LBS to demo, then run home and order online. Bummer for the little guys just trying to make a buck
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEconomics View Post
    Remember Supergo
    I loved that place. I would go there after seeing their ads in Mountain Bike Action.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Remember Supergo
    I miss that store sooooo much!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Slow and Old
    I just ordered a 2017 Breezer Lightning Team at a killer price from Bike Nashbar!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here's the way I see it. I have not spent a dime on a bike or bike parts since the bike industry decided to go to the Boost spacing standard and raise prices of all their parts by roughly 50% over the past 5 years. Boutique shops and smaller chains tend to stay in business because they tend to have a lower overhead. Once the bike industry decided to change up all the "standards" big stores were left with a lot of useless bikes and bike parts they couldn't get ride of. (opinion)

So basically the bike industry has killed their larger retailers and disfranchised their customers with their marketing through so called innovation. I'm still a few years away from buying another bike and spending any more of my money on anything bike related.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Here's the way I see it. I have not spent a dime on a bike or bike parts since the bike industry decided to go to the Boost spacing standard and raise prices of all their parts by roughly 50% over the past 5 years. Boutique shops and smaller chains tend to stay in business because they tend to have a lower overhead. Once the bike industry decided to change up all the "standards" big stores were left with a lot of useless bikes and bike parts they couldn't get ride of. (opinion)

So basically the bike industry has killed their larger retailers and disfranchised their customers with their marketing through so called innovation. I'm still a few years away from buying another bike and spending any more of my money on anything bike related.
    Except boost spacing made a difference in the strength of wheels, and made it possible for 29 dh and these amazingly capable 29 enduro bikes to withstand the abuse that was required. Just because you may not push your equipment hard enough to see the benefit of improved wheel strength and durability doesn't mean that there isn't a benefit. I'm not saying some of these new standards are not BS but boost makes sense.

mtbr member
    China deals push bike chain to bankruptcy after CEO’s spouse, Madeleine Dean, elected to U.S. Congress

China deals push bike chain to bankruptcy after CEO’s spouse, Madeleine Dean, elected to U.S. Congress

Interesting twist. This article says they will close 40 of 104 stores in 20 states.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    Except boost spacing made a difference in the strength of wheels, and made it possible for 29 dh and these amazingly capable 29 enduro bikes to withstand the abuse that was required. Just because you may not push your equipment hard enough to see the benefit of improved wheel strength and durability doesn't mean that there isn't a benefit. I'm not saying some of these new standards are not BS but boost makes sense.
    I'm not arguing the benefits of boost. But the fact that the entire industry in a matter of a year switching to it and making non-boost obsolete in the process was a slap in the face to those of us who spent thousands of dollars on a new bike, carbon wheels, fork, etc etc.... not to mention, once they discontinued all non boost bikes and parts, they raised the price of all boost components by like 20%...

As for the DH 29er argument, that's cool and all that but do you realize they have had the 150mm DH spacing for like forever?...
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Darn....it's hard to keep up with "Whom owns whom" anymore...
    I was never a fan as they always wanted to charge a different price in their stores from the website.
    2016/18 Fuel Ex9 29
    2017 Domane SLR8
    2018 Boone 7

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post

Interesting twist. This article says they will close 40 of 104 stores in 20 states.
    Good find. This is a very weird twist indeed.

slow
    I just ran across this on their website. I would assume it is the same stores that are being closed.

And the next bankrupt retailer is . . .-performanceclosing.jpg

Living the Dream
    Anyone know if there is a code for their 30% off black friday deal or if it is automatically applied?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Anyone know if there is a code for their 30% off black friday deal or if it is automatically applied?
    Automatically applied when you put the item into the cart.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post

Actually, the really interesting twist is that they are selling their bike brands, too, as well as a bunch of warehouses. Sounds like they're going to an online, drop-ship model with a few stores.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    30% off in-store through Sunday including Shimano, I bought a spare 9sp XT cassette, 30% off $55.
    Smart trainers are suddenly tempting.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    30% off in-store through Sunday including Shimano, I bought a spare 9sp XT cassette, 30% off $55.
    Smart trainers are suddenly tempting.
    Did you notice if other online exclusions we honored in-store? Specifically Garmin?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Did you notice if other online exclusions we honored in-store? Specifically Garmin?
    No, sorry. I just got the cassette and some Hammer drink mix, looked at a few other things.
    Their house-brand xc elite shorts are really nice, and made in the US, I bought a pair in summer. The Nashbar carbon seatposts are pretty good too, I've been using one for a while, they're not weight-weenie light, but quite good and a solid 2 bolt mount. I imagine all their tools are on sale too.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A few good deals I see are:
    $28 Vittoria Goma TNT
    $140 X-Fusion Manic dropper
    30% off Orange Seal

If you have internal routing, its hard to beat that value for a dropper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Both of my local Performance Bike stores (that probably competed against each other at 30 miles apart) are on the shut down list. I wandered in last week. Decent sales (30-40%) on the house brands like Forte, but not so much on name brands (10-15%) on Shimano, Garmin, etc. Furthermore, much of the good stuff has already been pretty well picked over. Probably the best selection of stuff remaining was in apparel and I found some good deals on some stuff for my wife. Honestly though, even with their closeout sales they're still barely competitive with the the cheaper online sites. Still they're nice folks and I'll be sorry to see them go.

KDS
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Now it sounds like they are closing all of the stores, their website now (12/7) says store closing sales at all locations, no renewals on team memberships, no ship to store option, no group rides from stores, etc.

slow
    Too bad for those who are losing jobs. I have a couple of friends who work at our local store.

Cycologist
    Wow.

I wonder how much they were going down already vs Fuji parent company buying them and their poor management running them into the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

slow
    reading through the announcement I get the impression that they might be closing the stores but possibly leaving the door open to continued online sales.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KDS View Post
    Now it sounds like they are closing all of the stores, their website now (12/7) says store closing sales at all locations, no renewals on team memberships, no ship to store option, no group rides from stores, etc.
    Christ. They literally just opened the new one near me 3 months ago. Great planning

Might be time to get the wife a road bike upgrade...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Store closing sale started today, looks like all 5 local stores being shutdown here and the store picture in the OP link looks like the closest one to me.

Somebody posted that it drove them crazy to see people go to the LBS then go home and order off the internet. Well it drove me crazy to go to the LBS and they didn’t have something basic. That’s why I went home and ordered it off the internet.

Well here’s the store closing list, looks pretty brutal and will affect a lot of people Edit: sorry, just realized all stores closing, sad sad sad

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...Locations.html

Rocks belong
    A week ago I stopped by the Albuquerque, NM Performance store. Had a “We’re hiring” sign out front?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Stopped by a store today. The deals on bikes are no better than their usual sale prices. I think some of them are priced higher now. Got some shorts because I like them, not because of the price. 30% off clothes and parts. I've gotten more off during their big memorial day and labor day sales.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Performance Bike. And Nashbar. Its a 2-fer-1.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/11/new...kruptcy_481472

I rarely use them anymore, but I fondly remember stacking discount codes and sale prices on 8 or 9 speed Shimano components thru Perf many years ago.
    Anybody still buy from Cambria Bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anybody still buy from Cambria Bike?
    I still get their emails but it's been a long time since I've bought from them. All their stuff seems overpriced.

mtbr member
    looks like Nashbar is done, there's next to nothing but bikes on the website.

1 piece of clothing and no accessories.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post

Well....it's part of the family, so....
    The remaining Performance stores are all closing within 30 days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The pricing on what's leftover is terrible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I showed up for old times sake on the last day of my local Performance Bike store. 90% off whatever dregs were left. I grabbed a few tubes for under a buck a piece and that was that.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post

Odd that there is no explanation, just very low inventory choices. I had checked the site after the news of Performance and when I didn't see any info, I thought they were sticking around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    I showed up for old times sake on the last day of my local Performance Bike store. 90% off whatever dregs were left. I grabbed a few tubes for under a buck a piece and that was that.
    I wish my local store would go 90% off. there is a Marin Wolf Ridge 9 that I would love to buy and pull parts off of.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredur View Post
    I wish my local store would go 90% off. there is a Marin Wolf Ridge 9 that I would love to buy and pull parts off of.
    They'd done 50, 60, 70, and 80% off in the days leading up to closure so the pickings at the end were pretty slim. By the last day there were no bikes, just one miscellaneous 26er frame, a few components, a bin of random tools and some odd sized clothes (small and XXXL). You didn't miss much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My store has some good stuff at the moment. Plenty of Fox and Zoic clothing. Few decent components and accessories. Just waiting on that Wolf Ridge to drop a bit more. They currently have it 50% off.

I picked up a pair of Fox indicator shorts and launch pro knee pads among a few other bits.

Cycologist
    Stopped by a store after riding today. Picked up some road shoes at 50% off. Asked the cashier if she knew when the last day is and she said end of this month.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    The pricing on what's leftover is terrible.
    What's left? I see one pair of pants for $50. lol. they might as well turn off the lights and go home now.

mtbr member
    Buddy of mine just found a Marin B-17 2 for 50% off retail at one of the shops in our general area. He's making the 4 hour trip tomorrow to pick it up.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Cycologist
    Well, looks like they sold off the domain for Performance Bike and Nashbar, they now go to sites using those names but actually AMain Sports & Hobbies, a three store chain in California.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Well, looks like they sold off the domain for Performance Bike and Nashbar, they now go to sites using those names but actually AMain Sports & Hobbies, a three store chain in California.
    Go this email tonight from both Nashbar and Performance...

And the next bankrupt retailer is . . .-screen-shot-2019-02-15-7.53.17-pm.jpg

Cycologist
    I just got the same thing. I guess they are hoping step up to be the next big online bike retailer. We'll see how it goes.

I wonder what they paid for those domains and the rights to those names.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    amaincycling's pricing is horrible. pass. they're never going to be a player.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    amaincycling's pricing is horrible. pass. they're never going to be a player.
    I've gotten some good deals from a-main both on the bike and the hobby side, but I will admit the good deals are few and far between. Nearly everything stays up around full MSRP until they decide to blow it out cheap. Though the shipping and CS response time has been pretty good in my opinion. Hope it stays that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Only bought from Amain maybe once or twice, and agreed pricing isn't great unless they send out coupon codes. RIP Performance and Nashbar

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So I had approximately $40 in Team Performance points. I went to their website about a week ago and there was not much of anything I needed if I were to use the points. Now if I log onto the new site it shows $0.00. I just paid $29.99 to re-up (and keep) the Team Performance points back in Nov 2018.

I emailed the new "Performancebike AMAINhobbies" and received this, "Unfortunately, we will not be continuing with the same rewards program that the previous Performance Bicycle site had running. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but, effectively, you'll be starting fresh with our new system. Continuing members will be immediately promoted to our Platinum status which will include extended return periods, additional coupon codes and double rewards points which will translate into store credit, along with other perks of the program. As for your current points, ASE (Advanced Sports Enterprises), the company that previously owned Performance Bicycle, will be opening a site shortly to claim your points and credits from the previous account. We will have more information on this very shortly. We appreciate your patience through this busy transition."

I wonder if I'll ever see any of my points $$ again? Not cool....