Negotiating prices just like car dealerships?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Negotiating prices just like car dealerships?

Im in the market to get my girlfriend her first 'real' bike from an LBS. I'm just wondering what everyones take on negotiating a lower price on bikes are.

The specific one im looking for is an '06 womens Trek 4300. Its 489.99 plus tax (Canadian), and take 25% off of the 489.99. So roughly 370 before tax, 425 after. Would it be, for lack of a better word, fair for me to try to negotiate a lower price? I was thinking trying to get 400 even.

Just wanted to know everyones take on it.

Thanks

Pete T

i am, therefore, i ride
    Profit margin on bikes are minimal. If you are getting 25% off, you're getting a heck of a deal. Negotiate it from there? I don't know about that......... they have to cover overhead and all, IMHO, 25% off is a great deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    mark up is usually around 100%. Trek sell so you may not be able to negotiate more than 10% off. If you can wait, Trek has a sale at the end of May

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Markup isn't 100% on low end bikes. I think it's a good deal (so long as it fits her and her biking needs). Bike shop employees need to eat too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The experience and help that you get from a good LBS far outweighs the the extra 30-40 bucks you might save by buying something online. Especially if you're just starting out. I've had multiple shops help me on a number of occasions with installing stuff for basically free using tools that aren't worth me purchasing myself.

That along with sound advice they give is worth it to me.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by rconceptsinc
    mark up is usually around 100%. Trek sell so you may not be able to negotiate more than 10% off. If you can wait, Trek has a sale at the end of May
    Some accessories may have a 100% markup, but the profit margin on bikes is pretty low (30-35%).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I kind of figured. These guys are my favourite LBS in the city anyway. Only ones who have lifetime free maintenance. That includes buying a new part and them installing it for free.

Thanks for the input, I guess I answered my own question. You guys reinforced what I was thinking. I want these guys to stay around as long as possible anyway.

Pete T

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the real question is.... $55 in tax!!??!! drive to Michigan and save some dough!

no shoes no shirt no dice
    with gas at $1.00 to 1.25 / litre - driving more than $2 to save under $50 isn't worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At that price range, they are probably making $100 profit. Just support them. Now if you're talking about a bike with a MSRP of $5K, it will be worth your while to negotiate and worth their time to give you a deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rconceptsinc
    mark up is usually around 100%.
    Hey buddy, get you your head out of your ass! I don't know who you get your info from, but they should be shot.

If you are already getting 25% off a 4300, take it and run! The most I will give on a 4300 is tax, which is 7.25%.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey buddy, get you your head out of your ass! I don't know who you get your info from, but they should be shot.

If you are already getting 25% off a 4300, take it and run! The most I will give on a 4300 is tax, which is 7.25%.
    I didnt get my info from anyone. It was a question not only concerning the 25% off bike, but bikes in general.

I wasnt sure if it was standard practice or not, so I was looking for a general consensus of what avid bikers thought. I obviously found my answer, and also already bought the bike, lol.

Thanks for all the info.

Pete T

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_T20
    I didnt get my info from anyone. It was a question not only concerning the 25% off bike, but bikes in general.

I wasnt sure if it was standard practice or not, so I was looking for a general consensus of what avid bikers thought. I obviously found my answer, and also already bought the bike, lol.

Thanks for all the info.

Pete T
    Pete, the previous poster wasn't directing the comment at you, but at the person claiming that bikes get 100% profit. On a bike like the 4300, I think you're doing pretty well to get it for nearly $100 off SRP. That's about the best I've ever gotten on leftover bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.

Head out of my ass....wow thats pretty harsh. My 100% was referring to stuff I get from QBP or from other manufacturer brands. Most of that stuff (NOT TREK) is half off retail....in other words 100% mark up. I specifically left Trek out and also said that Treks sell so 10% would be a good deal. The Trek dealers in MD will certainly give you more than 7.25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 0