Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2 EXO Tire $56 (less with $5 promo)- Mtbr.com
    Trail Ninja

Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2 EXO Tire $56 (less with $5 promo)

Maxxis Ikon EXO Tire 29 at BikeTiresDirect

$56 - about $5 from VIP points and about $6.51 S/H (at least to my zip). This price only comes around once a year unless you work at a bike shop. Free SH for orders over $100, but still only $5 from VIP, or more if you've ordered from them before.

It's one of the better balanced dry hardpack tires (great for the SW part of the US) out there, that doesn't compromise on much, and likely a candidate for 29er product of the year.

I ordered this for about the same price, from this vendor, when the Ikons first came out last year and they lasted me the entire year. I did swap them to try S-Works Captains, Panaracer CG XC, Rampage, and a Racing Ralph (rear) + Rocket Ron (front) combo, so I can't say they lasted the entire year literally, but I assume they would have, considering how much tread they have left. I went back to the Ikons, since they just seemed to offer the most all around performance, with the least compromise. I just needed the Panaracer tires to handle deeper looser soil, which is the biggest weakness to these short block tires. I have to admit that the Schwalbes were fun, if you actually like drifting through corners. That was the biggest downside I saw to them really, which some might consider a plus--I ride through exposure and don't want to be the one skidding and tearing up the trail. The Schwables wore down really fast too, which was a disappointment, considering how much they cost.

These tires opened up my opinion on "expensive" tires. I used to think, why pay $60 when I could pay $30, but I found that tires are definitely not something you should skimp on, as they are the primary point of contact to the ground. I really like the performance you can get out of them too. I'm not going back to all-around/all conditions tires. It makes me wonder about the people buying expensive stems, seatposts (non-dropper), and headsets and who then cheap out on contact points.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 11-24-2011 at 08:12 PM.