Dave's not here.

Manitou Magnum Pro (2016) $375 @CRC

Manitou Magnum Pro, MY16, is on clearance @CRC for $375 (less with your favorite cash back site) with coupon code MID2018.

120mm in both sizes are OOS.
    Last edited by MiWolverine; 05-28-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    Yo no hablo inglés

Land of the 230+
    You beat me to the post. Ordered mine a few hours ago, but wanted to make sure I ran it past all my friends before they all sell out!

Land of the 230+
    Looks like all the 120mm are sold out now. Just a warning, the 100mm versions can not be extended beyond 100mm, the stanchions are too short.

mtbr member
    Anyone know the Axle to crown measurement for the 100mm 29er version?
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

Land of the 230+
    Looks like 530mm A-C on the 29+ at 100mm travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Looks like 530mm A-C on the 29+ at 100mm travel.
    Thanks for the Information!

Looking at Chain Reaction Cycles, it seems they carry the 2016 and 2017 models. Besides the axle being used, are there any other significant differences?

A quick Google search shows some happy folks with the 2016 model, but then some folks who have had warranty issues....

Land of the 230+
    Honestly, I dont know what other changes were made, if any. I do know you can get the hexlock SL axle for under 30 bucks though. For 2018 the magnum name went away, and the 27.5+ and 29+ forks live under the mattoc name. I believe they come stock with IRT now, and a different air tube that uses 4 or 5 spacers instead of 2 spacers and a pedestal. The seals may have changed for 2018 as well. Minor changes though, I think the damper is identical. But I'm not 100% positive on any of this.

mtbr member
    Thanks again!

The Dirt Rag review is positive... Review: Manitou Magnum fork – Dirt Rag

and if it is anything like my Marvel Expert 29 fork, seems like a sweet deal.

Trying to decide if the 530mm A to C is too much for my frame and local trails.

Looking to install it on a Chi-Carbon Stache copy.

Picked up the Fox 34 Rhythm deal, but this one looks good too. For the Fox I can lower the travel to 100mm and have a 500mm A to C, which seems more fitting for the local trails.

Choices Choices

Land of the 230+
    Funny, I picked up that 34 rhythm as well and was waiting till the end of season to score a boost mattoc, but this was just too good a price. Its a bit heavier but Ill have plenty of tire clearance at least.

What was the stock A-C on the stache copy? Pretty sure the real stache came with an OE magnum comp, but not sure what travel.

mtbr member
    The A-C on the Stache clone is 530mm with a 67 degree head-angle.

I figure if I can get a 500 to 510 A-C, I can steepen the head angle around 1 degree, shorten the Front-Center and make the frame better suited to the tight-twisty trails I ride most of the time. Just have to worry about pedal strikes...

It is going to be a wet weekend in my neck of the woods, so I am going to have lots of time to mull this over.

Land of the 230+
    The 100mm should be easily reduced to 80mm travel giving you the 510 A-C you want, but seems like 80mm travel is pretty small. The good thing is that you can always try it, and if it sucks, take the spacers back out.

mtbr member
    I think 80mm is too little

From the reports I have read on the Fox 34 Rhythm, it will fit a 3.0 Chupacabra. I plan to use a 40mm internal width carbon rim so planning that it fits.

Thinking about this, fork weight and bottom bracket height (pedal strike probability) are going to be the determining factors on the fork.

Also from the reports I have read the Fox is a simple set-up, but the Manitou is a much more complex.

Land of the 230+
    Yes, the fox is dead simple, but requires moving the grip sweep to suit the terrain (xc climbing vs rocky rooty downhill). The manitou takes considerable time to dial in, but you can largely leave it alone, and it will handle whatever you throw at it. It will stay supple over the roots and rocks, but will have plenty of platform for long XC grinds without having to reach down for a lever, though the lever is there just in case you really want to accentuate your options. Anyway, both are fantastic deals, and really you cant go wrong wither either, it just depends what you want out of it.

Dave's not here.
    I received my fork this morning. Was surprised that it was delivered today (Memorial Day) as it was scheduled for tomorrow. I was also surprised at what lay on my doorstep. A thin box with little packaging material and no actual box that a fork normally comes in. Thankfully, there was no damage, but I am rethinking buying anything from CRC again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Magnum Pro (2016) 5 @CRC-20180528_113751.jpg  

Manitou Magnum Pro (2016) 5 @CRC-20180528_113806.jpg  

Manitou Magnum Pro (2016) 5 @CRC-20180528_113809.jpg  

Yo no hablo inglés

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    I received my fork this morning. Was surprised that it was delivered today (Memorial Day) as it was scheduled for tomorrow. I was also surprised at what lay on my doorstep. A thin box with little packaging material and no actual box that a fork normally comes in. Thankfully, there was no damage, but I am rethinking buying anything from CRC again.
    So this is an OE fork?

I have bought items in the past from CRC, but it usually stated it was OE...

Dave's not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    So this is an OE fork?

I have bought items in the past from CRC, but it usually stated it was OE...
    Not that I am aware of. I am thinking that CRC cheaped out and discarded the fork box to save on shipping charges. I like to have those boxes on hand in case I have to send it in for warranty work or if I sell it.
    Yo no hablo inglés

Land of the 230+
    My fork came in Friday, and was packaged in teh full retail box. It did have bubble wrap, but did not have any foam zip tied around the steerer. Seems like you got an OEM or takeoff to me.

Anyway, I installed the Hexaxle SL right out of the box, and saved about 60 grams. I extended mine to 140mm as well. With a cut steerer, my fork weighs 1998g now. I can also confirm that the fork came with the newest revision low friction dust wipers. I had already placed an order in anticipation of needing to change them out, but now I have a spare set.

I've had three rides and 62 miles on the fork so far. Its a solid performer for sure. Ive never felt so comfortable on downhills, and the small bump compliance is simply amazing. I have no discernible pedal bob until I'm mashing out of the saddle. I can minimize that as well, but at the cost of some small bump compliance. Larger hits are the only area I still want to work on, but I've already made some progress by simply reducing volume for a more progressive springrate, and lowering air pressure slightly. Not sure how far Ill be able to take it with the IVA, but an upgrade to the IRT seems like it addresses exactly this. And as for stiffness, I actually think this fork feels stiffer than either my xfusion sweep or the Fox 34 rhythm. It certainly didnt feel noodley under my weight, which was my main concern. Perhaps the mattoc at 160 or 170mm travel is more prone to flex, but the magnum at 140 doesn't seem to.

All in all, this is a great fork, and a steal at the price we snagged them at.

Dave's not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    My fork came in Friday, and was packaged in teh full retail box. It did have bubble wrap, but did not have any foam zip tied around the steerer. Seems like you got an OEM or takeoff to me.

Anyway, I installed the Hexaxle SL right out of the box, and saved about 60 grams. I extended mine to 140mm as well. With a cut steerer, my fork weighs 1998g now. I can also confirm that the fork came with the newest revision low friction dust wipers. I had already placed an order in anticipation of needing to change them out, but now I have a spare set.

I've had three rides and 62 miles on the fork so far. Its a solid performer for sure. Ive never felt so comfortable on downhills, and the small bump compliance is simply amazing. I have no discernible pedal bob until I'm mashing out of the saddle. I can minimize that as well, but at the cost of some small bump compliance. Larger hits are the only area I still want to work on, but I've already made some progress by simply reducing volume for a more progressive springrate, and lowering air pressure slightly. Not sure how far Ill be able to take it with the IVA, but an upgrade to the IRT seems like it addresses exactly this. And as for stiffness, I actually think this fork feels stiffer than either my xfusion sweep or the Fox 34 rhythm. It certainly didnt feel noodley under my weight, which was my main concern. Perhaps the mattoc at 160 or 170mm travel is more prone to flex, but the magnum at 140 doesn't seem to.

All in all, this is a great fork, and a steal at the price we snagged them at.
    Did you go for the standard free shipping? I paid the extra to get it here sooner. So, I wonder if that has something to do with shedding the box. It was new, full length steerer and nothing I could see would make me think I got an OEM.

It is a great fork, and I threw on a hexlock sl as well. I am also looking at getting the IRT, but I will wait until I have it dialed in more.
    Yo no hablo inglés

Land of the 230+
    I went with the free shipping. Was yours the 27.5+ or 29+? Mine was the 27.5+ 120mm model. So strange. Did you happen to send CRC those pictures and ask them why you didnt get a retail box when it was not sold as a takeoff or oem fork?

Dave's not here.
    I got the same fork you did. Since your fork came in the retail box, did it include a pump? I did contact CRC regarding this and was pretty much brushed off.
    Yo no hablo inglés

Land of the 230+
    No pump. But the booklet/manual came in a plastic bag along with a different color decals, and 2 extra travel spacers.

Dave's not here.
    I didn't get the spacers or decals. Nice. This is the reply I got from CRC:

"I apologise that you were not happy with the way the forks arrived with you, on the web page for the forks it does not state that the forks will come with a shock pump, also it does not state that the forks will come in a branded box.

I appreciate your feedback and in the past when I myself have purchased forks I have received a pump and a branded box, however this very rarely happens anymore."

I'm really OK about the pump as I have plenty. As people have said, CRC has gone downhill since they were bought out and this is one example of that.
    Yo no hablo inglés

mtbr member
    now CRC has a $40 coupon....

dressed to play
    Apologies for the thread resurection, but I also purchased the 120 mm 27.5+ Magnum fork and would love input from other users.
    It seems a bit strange that the 120 mm I have has 150 mm of exposed stanchion. Does this match you guy's experience with this fork?
    It would make sense if the extra stanchion was to allow the fork travel to be extended to 140 but the numbers of the Manitou site suggest that the fork in 140 mm has a longer A to C suggesting this isn't the case.
    With all the air out of the fork I get 120 mm of travel against a hard stop.
    Manitou Magnum Pro (2016) 5 @CRC-manitou-magnum.jpg

Land of the 230+
    Yes, you will have more stanchion showing than other brand forks. Your numbers sound about right. You cant judge your travel by how close the o-ring is to the crown, you have to measure from the bottom.

And yes, your right that the axle to crown measurement is about 20mm more than a standard mattoc at the same travel. The magnum at 120 should be 531 A-to-C, or 551 at 140mm travel, compared to the normal mattoc's 555 @ 160mm.

This is all because you dont want the crown (bottom of the steerer tube) to come in contact with the oversize plus tire during a full travel event.

dressed to play
    Thanks for your reply. Certainly doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the fork and performance is as expected for a high end model.