Looking for a decent/cheap wheelset is this ok?- Mtbr.com
    NEWB

Looking for a decent/cheap wheelset is this ok?

Mavic Crossland
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

Mavic's versatile Crossland wheelset is the perfect upgrade for your 26" MTB! They use a rim-brake capable rim (if you've still got V-brakes) as well as a disc-ready hub that's available in both a 6-bolt IS rotor mount, as well as a Shimano Centerlock-compatible rotor mount. Plus they include Mavic UST rim tape, which allows you to use your choice of UST tubeless tires or traditional tires with inner tubes.
    Choose 6 bolt IS for traditional 6-bolt rotors, or Centerlock for Shimano Centerlock rotors
    Kit includes front and rear wheel, quick releases, user guide, and UST rim tape
    Rim: 6061 Aluminum alloy, SUP Welded with UB Control braking surface
    Hub: Mavic, sealed cartridge bearing, Shimano 9 speed compatible freehub
    Spokes and Nipples: Stainess steel round spokes, straight pull, 24 front (radial), 24 rear (radial non-drive, 2x drive)
    Weight: 2074 gram

------
    $219 w/silver for the pair.

my application is so I can stop swapping to road tires on my bullit that I commute 16 miles/day on and the shimano XT hubs/rhynolyte combo I currently have are a little heavy.

also a Q I have: are these mavic sealed cartridge bearing hubs better than XT hubs?

I just want something kinda light, with a decent hub to commute around 60-80 miles a week on. For trails I'll probably use my sun rhynolite/XT combo after I get the hubs serviced on it.

if theres something else you might recommend I'm all ears thats why I'm making this post.

I'll also put discs on it and probably look for a tubeless road tire (if they exist, heh)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Crossride might be a better choice. You are basically getting the same quality wheels but not paying the extra for tubeless, which is not necessary for paved road.

NEWB
    thanks man, that is $40 cheaper but unfortunately out of stock, heh. maybe somebody else has it

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_T
    thanks man, that is $40 cheaper but unfortunately out of stock, heh. maybe somebody else has it
    Why not just buy a bike to have as your commuter? Deals can be had for cool vintage single speeds or even new ones aren't too bad. For example, you could get a Bianchi San Jose single speed roadie for $550 new! My first cross bike was $400 for a used Trek XO-1 ... great as a commuter too ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Mavic is an overkill in my opinion, I use a set of cheap Shimano hub with Tioga rim came with my HT and never had an issue on thousands miles of road riding. You don't have a lot of jump and drops as trails unless you plan on urban assaut kind of stuff (then you wouldn't put road tires on). I think a cheapest disk wheels like Deore+Ryeno lite+26' road tire(yes, they make a lot of difference in pave road) are more than enough.

GIT-R-DONE!
    If you have an REI store near you they stock them. If you are a member you save an additional 20% off May 4-13

Not a bad wheel set. I am currently running a set and I love them. For the price you cant go wrong. I will have to agree with "SKYRIDE" go with the Crossride if you are on a budget.
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have used the a set of crossrides for 3 years. I weigh 160 lb. No hucking, but have ridden them fast and hard over roots/rocks. Not one problem. I like the cartridge bearings over ball/cones. Easier to maintain and replace.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    I commute over 120 miles a week with Ryno Lights, the ones you see on Jensons website. I have yet to have any issues with them, even after having a slime tube blow out on me....That mess turned me off on the slime. Plus the wheel set is versitale for V's and disc with the IS hubs.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    from Jensons website:

Plus they include Mavic UST rim tape, which allows you to use your choice of UST tubeless tires or traditional tires with inner tubes.
    from Mavic's website:

SUPPLIED WITH
    Traditional aluminum quick releases, UST rim tape, UST valve and accessories, disc fixing protection hood (Center Lock wheel), user guide and warranty card
    What is this Mavic UST rim tape? Is it some sort of rubberized tape to prevent leaks on their "not quite tubeless but advertised as tubeless" wheelsets like the crossland?
    -MitchB

Members who have read this thread: 0