It's NOT FAIR!!!!! :-(- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

It's NOT FAIR!!!!! :-(

Want to get a brand new Stumpjumper FSR comp 2007, but i live in rip off Britain!!!! cheapest i can get it anywhere at moment is 1300 ($2900), been reading that you guys over in the USA can get it for $2000 (900)!!! thats a saving of $900, does any bike shops in the USA ship internationally?!?! even if the shipping is $600, im still saving $300!!! been looking aorund on the net can cant find anyone to ship to the UK, can anyone help me?
    Cheers in advance

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    specialized doesn't allow internet sales by their dealers... do you have a friend in the US that could get it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    plus, won't you have to pay import duties through customs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    plus, doesn't the 1300 include 20% VAT? so its really ~2600-20% =~ $2240

while the US price doesn't include sales tax, so $2000+7.5% =~2150

mtbr member
    I think VAT is 22% and no E-store will send it out as a GIFT and GIFT is the only way to save some money on shipping..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    VAT is 17.5% in the UK, however, if it was sent as a gift for my "birthday" from my long lost cousin who moved to America, i dont think there would be any tax, if i ever go to America im going to have to buy a few and bring them back on the plane i think

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

have no idea if they will

Try www.bicyclewarehouse.com They are no longer a dealer, but have medium bikes leftover.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    The gift limit is 18, (unless it's recently changed). Anymore than this and you're liable for VAT and import duties. But as posted above, most brands aren't allowed to be sold via the intarwebnet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Buy european bikes!

http://www.canyon.com/_en/

oo0o0o Yes..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You have better choices than buying a Specialized. There are so many highly rated Euro bikes. Why waste your money on a marketing budget?

Calm Like a Bomb
    actually u can get the 07 stumpy fsr somp for around $1800 easily in the US.....sorry to tell u that
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    You have better choices than buying a Specialized. There are so many highly rated Euro bikes. Why waste your money on a marketing budget?
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/...b=46#equipment

1400 Euro = 1920 US dollars

Basically same specs as the stumpy except in US price its fairer AND... it comes with Formula Oro K Hydraulics!

mtbr member
    Well, the one cool thing is that there don't seem to be any global Horst patent limitations, so nearly everybody outside of North America makes bikes using that suspension design (pretty funny considering all the haters, but whatever). The first downside for Canyon is the poor standover height in the design. But, if it were me, I would probably check out Bionicon anyway...
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ive heard people say that websites in the US can not ship the bikes internatioanlly, can www.bicyclewarehouse.com ship them internationally as that was one of the websites reccommended? has any one used this site before? if so ill be savin 800 from the UK price, if i was to get the SJ FSR PRO, would even be cheaper for me tobuy a 400 return ticket and pick the bike up myself and bring it back on the plane,

mtbr member
    Roundtrip ticket from heathrow - $400 (off season)
    Buy bike, ride around for a couple days, get bike muddy,
    Bike Box - $100
    Return home from bike vacation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think many "hate" the Horst Link. I think many simply feel that Spec makes mediocre bikes (brilliant marketing though- that cannot be denied). Just having a HL doesn't make a bike well-balanced or laterally stiff or improve other frame traits many feel are way more important than the patented design used. HL is great if the rest of the design is well executed and if the bikes are constructed well.

There are several HL (and other) bikes out there in Europe that are better bikes. Has the Specialized marketing team gotten to you? You should really consider test riding some of the others before paying for the import-associated costs and marketing premium of the Stumpy. I have two friends with Stumpys (Comp and Expert), I have ridden them several times so at least I have some ride experience on them. They are okay bikes but definitely not top-of-the-heap bikes. They in turn have ridden my Ventanas, Turner, and Yetis and freely admit that the Stumpy isn't even close in feel. One actually said said his feels like a "twitchy tin can" after riding my Saltamontes. That is why I'm curious- with so many better choices and no patent issues out there, why are you so focused on the Stumpy? It is a decent budget bike if you can pick it up for $1,600-$1,800 or so (and you can get them as low as $1,600) but anything over that and you have far better choices.

It's your money so use it wisely. Try to not fund a marketing department. I'm done lecturing you- thanks for the oportunity

They do make some good high-end roadbikes though. I think their roadbikes are (relative to other manufacturers) at a much higher level than their mountain bikes are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinski101
    Want to get a brand new Stumpjumper FSR comp 2007, but i live in rip off Britain!!!! cheapest i can get it anywhere at moment is 1300 ($2900), been reading that you guys over in the USA can get it for $2000 (900)!!! thats a saving of $900, does any bike shops in the USA ship internationally?!?! even if the shipping is $600, im still saving $300!!! been looking aorund on the net can cant find anyone to ship to the UK, can anyone help me?
    Cheers in advance

Hi Lets make a deal. if you can trust, it may work.

I will buy the bike for you and ship it to you. you bear all the costs and duties. of course I would mention it as gift. my charge would be a pair of gray nicolls cricket shoes in US size 10.5. I am unable to locate them here in the USA. Also, a handsome amount of Guiness extra stout would smooth out the deal further.

http://www.gray-nicolls.co.uk/graysi...nsf/1/shoesice

please let me know.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

Members who have read this thread: 0