inexpensive flat pedal deals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

inexpensive flat pedal deals?

I have a Mt. Bike club and am looking to find so deals on flat pedals. Any out there, or suggestions? Thanks

mtbr member
    define "inexpensive."

good mtb pedals can be found for $50-60 on the cheaper end. otherwise, check out Empire BMX selection of bmx pedals. Odyssey Twisted PCs are cheap and comfy under feet, but have a stack height that might make them a little more prone to smacking rocks. that's mostly a matter of skill and line choice, but it's nice to have thinner pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think 50-60 (or a little higher if needed) is a good range, if possible. And thinner is better, so my beginners can avoid pedal strikes.

Upcyclist
    I've got Nukeproof Neutron pedals from Chain Reaction Nukeproof Neutron EVO (Electron EVO) Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles, but I'm thinking I might try the Kona Wah Wah 2s because I have big feets and need another set of pedals. I like the composite pedals and doubt I'll ever spend the $$ on aluminum again.

By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

Land of the 230+
    At the upper end you can get xpedo spry for 60, but being super light magnesium, it may not be as durable as some others. In the mid rage, Ive picked up a few sets of VP vice for around $45, but I'm having trouble finding them for that price anymore. Then at the lower end, simple wellgo MG-5 pedals are cheap ($35), light, thin and durable. The only down side is that the pins are soft and dont hold their sharpness very long.

mtbr member
    Race Face Chester composite, One Up composite and Deity Compound have good reputations for being tough and affordable pedals. They're all around $50 before sales. And they all have replaceable pins that screw in from the back side.

I don't have personal experience with these yet, but that's what I've found while shopping around for new pedals too

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i have never used composite pedals, but seems like good reviews,and they certainly fit my requirements. Thanks much.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    There's always good ole Shimano Saint. They're floating around $55 at a couple places (maybe floating isn't the right word since they're built like a tank).

mtbr member
    Chesters are great. Cheap and tough, just keep on working. It's not that I love composite pedals, but I HATE the sound of expensive alloy pedals grinding on rocks. With Chesters I hardly notice it and never worry about them.
    Last edited by veloborealis; 08-10-2018 at 07:35 AM.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    At the upper end you can get xpedo spry for 60, but being super light magnesium, it may not be as durable as some others. In the mid rage, Ive picked up a few sets of VP vice for around $45, but I'm having trouble finding them for that price anymore. Then at the lower end, simple wellgo MG-5 pedals are cheap ($35), light, thin and durable. The only down side is that the pins are soft and dont hold their sharpness very long.
    VP Vice...$34.99

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Aluminum-P...dp/B006ZH1H7M/

mtbr member
    Ebay!

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Ebay!
    Pickles!

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    I found the xpedo spry "generic version" searching the model# only on eBay. A seller had them for$55 or best offer, and accepted$45 shipped, I thought it was a decent deal for light flat pedals.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I found the xpedo spry "generic version" searching the model# only on eBay. A seller had them for$55 or best offer, and accepted$45 shipped, I thought it was a decent deal for light flat pedals.
    Not a bad price at all. But I'd be wary of fakes not being as durable as the genuine article. They could be the real thing. They could be factory seconds. They could be outright factory rejects, or they could simply be imitation. You never really know with ebay. I've seen a lot of stories of xpedo sprys and their knockoffs breaking apart after pedal strikes. Mine have so far proven durable, but they're from jenson on a price match. Like carbon handlebars, I dont want to risk injury due to fakes not being as strong as the genuine product.

Sorry, I dont really mean to poop on your parade here. Its a solid price, and as long as youre getting at least wellgo pedal quality, youre coming ot ahead IMO. And if youre not a clyde like I am, you may have very little to worry as far as durability. Good luck with em.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I got a set of these for a backup bike and they seem okay so far:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Mounta...item1caf7ab58c

B.Ike
    I've ordered these (under various names) twice for myself and once for a friend... Lots of pedal strikes later (3years?), no problems...(240 pounds btw)...1000miles a year plus or minus...These are chester knock offs.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

banned
    Jul 2011
    I've ridden the Race Face Chesters and the One Up composite. In my opinion, the One Up is hands down a better pedal. Larger platform for your foot, in about the same amount of area exposed to pedal strikes. Way better pin grip. They make you feel better connected to the bike. I like One Ups better than my expensive HT's and as much as my Spank Spikes.

This guy seems to agree with me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Kona Wah Wah you won’t regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk