Hydration Packs at Costco- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Hydration Packs at Costco

High Sierra hydration packs for $20 at Costco. Looked one over pretty carefully and they are well suited for mtn biking - quite similar to Camelbak HAWG. Looked on their website (www.highsierrasport.com) but didn't find the exact same model. Just over 1000 cu inches capacity; main pocket with pump sleeve; 2 liter bladder with 90 bend at valve end; smaller pocket with lots of tool organizer slots and a mesh zippered area; wicking material on back panel and shoulder straps, with adjustable sternum strap; stowable waist belt; stowable mesh helmet holder; bungee holder on outside of pack; insulated tube on bladder with valve dirt cover; and zippered expansion panel.

Quite nice, and a steal for $20.

mtbr member
    i have a high sierra pack. its the "flow" model. i think i paid $40 for it. for the money its really nice, even has a rain cover that tucks into the bottom of the pack. only thing i dont like about it is the resivoir which is kinda cheaply made.

mmm
    Also comes with Costco's lifetime return policy.

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by timehoc
    Also comes with Costco's lifetime return policy.
    i just picked one up today. you got to love the return policy. now they just need to sell real bikes.

mtbr member
    I saw those too - looked awesome for the price.

Jul 2004
    picked one up. It's the "Soak 2" model, and the features are incredible for $20. Doesn't really matter if this thing goes out after a year or two at that price.

It's a little heavier than what you'd expect but thats probably because its got pockets galore. Go check it out if you've got one nearby, its worth a look.

mtbr member

At one time...

Quote Originally Posted by treksession7
    i just picked one up today. you got to love the return policy. now they just need to sell real bikes.
    You don't remember when they sold a Cannondale tandem in the mid-90's? This was in the S. East US.

It sold for 699 - 899 depending on the model.

I always wished that I bought one.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Do they have any other models? I'm looking for something about the size of the HAWG or bigger, but I want a 3 liter bladder.
    This space for rent.

DaBomb Molotov rider

High Sierra Soak 2

Is it the item pictured here? If so, it looks pretty decent.

More pictures here:
    https://www.e-commercelink.com/ebay/BP/
    https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...tem=8801166312

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Hydro Pack

My Buddy picked one up. The reservoir is cheap (he had to excercise Costco's return policy after his reservoir started to leak after 2 weeks) but the bag is nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    damn i want one I dont have a costco membership......

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    My wife saw it and gave me a call asking if I wanted one - I thought 'ah hell - a Costco water pack, this thing is bound to suck.' I'll say I was wrong. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it, and for shorter rides the amount of water is great. I have been using it for about a month with no bladder issues. Having places to put stuff is nice, though I try not to carry the kitchen sink with me. I think one of my favorite features is the little ID pocket on the back.

It's only $20 - at that price it's just about disposable, but the thing is it works.

mtbr member
    You could just get a new Camelback bladder to put in. At that price you are still saving $. That is if the actual pack lasts for a while.
    "On a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

bladder is useless

THe bag is very well designed, to my opinion better than a lot of Camelbak's feature. But I like Camelbak's ventilation back panel, feels more sturdy, and the bladder is day and night.
    I had a High Sierra's bladder from REI, used it once and never want to touch it again. To change bite valve is the key, it won't flow unless you bite hard and in the right direction, and sometimes drip all over the places.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    heads up.......sams club also has it. I just picked one up and it is a little different that the pic above. The only difference is the lacing on the back. Thats it. Also $20. Lifetime warranty from sierra........

mtbr member
    Just today my hydrapack I had fo 5 years developed a leak in the bladder. I will go pick up one of these from Cosco. Does any one know if this bladder will fit?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ervoir+06.aspx

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by et_mtb
    Just today my hydrapack I had fo 5 years developed a leak in the bladder. I will go pick up one of these from Cosco. Does any one know if this bladder will fit?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ervoir+06.aspx
    I'm using 100 oz bladder from my old Camelbak Mule since I broke one of the buckles.
    I fill it to about 80% and fits in the Sierra just fine, so if you get the 70 oz bladder, should fit perfect.

Mar 2006
    when did you buy one of these? do you know the costco sku #?

Its not on there web site..

mtbr member
    I went on Sunday (Yesterday in Yonkers , NY) and could not find them any where. I did see them there before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just got one yester day here is Folsom CA. Using it to replace a 6 year old platypus. seems like a nice bag, but I will be using my camelbak bladder as the one that comes with it is kinda flimsy. No matter how you look at it the price is awsome.
    Three out of the four voices in my head say, "Go for it!"

2010 Ventana El Comandante

08 Kona Unit 2-9

Mar 2006
    i did just pick one up it is my first and kicks some serious behind!!!

they have a ton of them here in cleveland

Jun 2004
    I just picked up this pack and it rocks!

on the Denali Highway
    Mar 2006
    I do much of my shopping on-line, etc., because of where I live and had been pricing and comapring various hydro-pack models, but hadn't gotten around to ordering one when I went to town (Anchorage, 300 miles) in early April.

Saw that model at Costco and, even given the "Alaska Premium" (it's $23.99 here), it seemed like an excellent bargain.

Picked it up, and took it when I snuck away for my two weeks of fun-in-the-sun hiking in the sky island mountains of southern Arizona - Chiricahuas, Huachucas and Santa Ritas.

I am very impressed and pleased! Comfortable, cool on the back(temps there were in the low- to mid-80s F); the plumbing worked great and there was enough but not too much room for gear.

So....before heading back to Alaska I bought another half-dozen of these at Costco Seattle to sell this summer at our little store.
    From the Heart of the Alaska Range - Denali Highway Cabins

mtbr member

bladder leaking

Quote Originally Posted by jpat
    My Buddy picked one up. The reservoir is cheap (he had to excercise Costco's return policy after his reservoir started to leak after 2 weeks) but the bag is nice.

I've had the same experience. Mine started to leak at the bite valve after about three weeks. Love the pack, great price, reasonably well made, but the leaky bladder sux. I'll have to go back to Costco and exchange it.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

on the Denali Highway
    Mar 2006
    Thank you for the heads-up regarding the potential of bladders leaking. I just went through the six I picked up for our gift shop, testing each of them for seam and valve failure. For hygiene's sake, I could not test the bite valve; I left those factory-sealed.

All, plus my personal seventh one, passed - here at the outset. None of the seams looked suspect, either.. I now will market them with a sign saying each has been individually tested, etc., becuase not only can I not afford to have returns, but 90+% of our traffic is from visitors traveling around Alaska who will not be able to come back here, anyway.

mtbr member

valve leaking

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Ranger
    Thank you for the heads-up regarding the potential of bladders leaking. I just went through the six I picked up for our gift shop, testing each of them for seam and valve failure. For hygiene's sake, I could not test the bite valve; I left those factory-sealed.

All, plus my personal seventh one, passed - here at the outset. None of the seams looked suspect, either.
    I just wanted to clarify my earlier post and emphasize that it was the valve not the bladder that leaked after about a 2 weeks of usage. Hopefully, you won't have problems but it was the bite valve that started leaking after using it a few times!

Nov 2005

Just got one myslef

HI Thanks for the lead and for the additional info.
    I went to buy my first Hydration Pack and its great. not mention the low price.

Dec 2004
    I got one 2 weeks ago. i love it. i did notice the bite valve will leak a little, but not 2 bad. great deal i think.

on the Denali Highway
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterryh
    ...it was the valve not the bladder that leaked after about a 2 weeks of usage. !
    I saw that - maybe I should tell purchasers if that occurs, to keep the valve in their mouths; that it's an auto-drip system

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I picked one up today. I love the bag, you really can't beat it for the price. If I have problems with the bladder I'll just replace it with my camelbak bladder.

mtbr member
    I got one to replace my backpack and I love the size, I have yet to put water in it though, my large water bottle on the frame has been doing me fine for my hour ride but I guess I should try it..

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    I've been using mine for about a month and a half and have about 400 miles on it (gives you an idea on how much I've been using it) and have had no problems with the bladder or bite valve. In fact, I had more problems with the bite valve on my camelbak leaking (when I forgot to turn the valve closed) than on this one. I've taken this bladder out and cleaned it frequently to wash Cytomax residue out and used HOT water and bleach, so I'd think I would have seen some problems by now.

If the bladder goes south, I'm not going to bother with the Costco warrantee (I've already gotten my $20 out of it) and I'll just get a 70oz Camelback bladder for the bag. I like the size for a 3ish hour ride - bladder is empty right at the end of the ride - perfect timing.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Been using mine on a daily basis for a couple of months now.
    Holds up well. No problems.
    At $20, they disappeared pretty quick from the Costco shelves!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My father just replaced an old MULE with one, and he's quite impressed. He said he really likes the two ribs on the back which elevate the pack and allow some airflow (he used to get a huge sweatspot where his camelback was). So far, his back is staying dry but it's also been <90...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPDu4ea
    My father just replaced an old MULE with one, and he's quite impressed. He said he really likes the two ribs on the back which elevate the pack and allow some airflow (he used to get a huge sweatspot where his camelback was). So far, his back is staying dry but it's also been <90...

I like the idea but I still get a sweaty back big time

mtbr member
    Can this fit a 100oz bladder?

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodiuh
    Can this fit a 100oz bladder?
    Not if it has more than 70ish ounces in it.

mtbr member
    Darn. Thanks for the quick reply tho. I'm in Phoenix, AZ and it's about 90-100 right now. But it'll go up to 110-120 soon and I'm gonna need all the H2O I can get!

mtbr member

more than 70 oz?

Quote Originally Posted by Jodiuh
    Darn. Thanks for the quick reply tho. I'm in Phoenix, AZ and it's about 90-100 right now. But it'll go up to 110-120 soon and I'm gonna need all the H2O I can get!
    Huh, I tried my old Camelback 100 oz-er in there and it seemed to fit ok. I may not have had it totally, completely full, though I thought I had it mostly full. Anyway, it fit fine!

mtbr member
    I picked up an MTB 100 from Performance Bicycles in Chandler today. It came with a 100 oz tank which I emptied today on an hour and half ride. It doesn't show up on the Camelback site and the tag mentions "Euro" somethin' or other. It's kinda like a Mule, but the pockets are a touch different. Here's a pic:

mtbr member
    just picked up the Soak2, and it has a strange bag sewn in as part of the liner, in the zippered tool compartment on the front. the bag apparently has a strap folded up inside it or something. cannot open the bag it's sewn closed and attached to the inside at the bottom. have no clue here, anyone?

mtbr member
    starting to think it might just be a factory goof or something. tempted to just cut that sucker open but thought i'd check first. here is a pic of the pouch on the bottom, does anyone else have this or do i have a mutant pack?

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    maybe there's cash inside, yea babey!

mtbr member
    cannot....resist....temptation.....must....cut.... open.....

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    cannot....resist....temptation.....must....cut.... open.....
    I think that's the "helmet holder" section. It unzips from the bottom of the front pouch and this mesh thing comes out. You can hook it to the two thingies on it and your helmet hangs on there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f. carnivore
    I think that's the "helmet holder" section. It unzips from the bottom of the front pouch and this mesh thing comes out. You can hook it to the two thingies on it and your helmet hangs on there.
    wow i totally missed that zipper! i was about 2 minutes away from breaking out the skissors, thanks you just saved my sack

mtbr member
    lol

yup I got the orange one at the begging of summer...it been preety good except that the bladder seam has split up by the top, i don't have the recite anymore so i just duck taped it, i now can't fill it up all the way and I don't bend over or else I get a little leakage.

It is my first hydration system and I like it, lots of zippers and crap. and I just discovered after all this time that it has tha little expansion zipper.
    I never really use the stowable waistband thing, the chest strap seems to keep it down even over the bumpy stuff.

A week ago I discovered some lil black mold specs in there and bleached her out and rinsed a bunch with hot water, still tastes a little bleachy but I guess it is better than drinking mold right?

mtbr member
    yea i like the design a lot, the pump sleeve is really nice, and it has more than enough storage and pockets for tools, tubes, and electronic toys and other junk. i guess once the bladder craps out i'll just replace it with a better one

there's also an expansion zipper? damn, this pack has so many suprises, its like 4 dimensional or something

GT Dirt Coalition
    Spindle, just call Sierra. They will honor the warranty. I had them send me a new bite valve, no questions. You will have to be patient and wait for a return call, but I think you will be pleased with their service.

(BTW, new bite valve drips too, must be a design thing. Everything else is holding up fine after 4~5 months and a few crashes and endo's )

Members who have read this thread: 0